Fiona

BobH
UraniumLounger

Fiona

Post by BobH »

Although the storm appears far away from the US mainland, the Eastern Provinces of Canada might see some of it.

Be safe, Chris, and all of our GWN friends.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Fiona

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
23 Sep 2022, 17:28
Although the storm appears far away from the US mainland, the Eastern Provinces of Canada might see some of it.
Be safe, Chris, and all of our GWN friends.
Thanks Bob. It is important to remember that the US mainland is not the centre of the Known Universe. That distinction belongs to a small pimple of a town on the tip of the nose on the face of The Bonavista Peninsula. :evilgrin:

According to the weather data for this month, here in Bonavista we have already been blessed with 83, 87 and 90Km/hr gusts, so 60 Km/hr (predicted by Ventusky) just means that I should have hooked up my wind turbine when it arrived fifteen months ago!

I think that there is an element of fear-mongering in the news. Strong winds happen often enough anywhere, but strong-winds-as-part-of-a-hurricane can be used to sell newspapers. As usual, the raw data tells a better story.

I gaze out of one of my new windows and see the Jerusalem Artichokes flattened, the pumpkin vines crushed, but the pumpkins themselves have not yet been blown rolling down the hill that is Canon Bayley Road, trying to take out small cars before arriving at Shawn Chaulk who greedily waits for customers in his panel-beating shop. Only my upper bed-sheet remains flapping on the hydraulic washing line, a reminder to me not to microwave chocolate-chip muffins baked by sixteen-year old Chloe and then try to eat them late at night in bed.

My new windows crank shut, and have a lever that, when hauled down on, clamp the window air-molecule tight.
Me? I'm longing for another blizzard so that I can laugh my head off from inside the house.
Blizzard.png
And, No: I can't tell you the maximum gust that night, because unlike Western Australians, Newfoundlanders are not given over to bragging!

Cheers, and thanks for thinking of Poor Chrissy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
23 Sep 2022, 17:59
...we have already been blessed with 83, 87 and 90Km/hr gusts, ...
All that fear mongering for a calm day in Florida. :grin: :grin:
234542_5day_cone_with_line_and_wind.png
Predicting a MAJOR hurricane this week, the winds will be >110 MPH, or > 177 kph in the area in the circle, which includes us.

To paraphrase a certain Aussie: You call that wind? I'll show you wind!

Hurricane-proof windows or not, the plywood is coming out if that prediction holds!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

PJ_in_FL wrote:
24 Sep 2022, 01:36
All that fear mongering for a calm day in Florida. :grin: :grin:
PJ, as my closest friend on Eileen's Lounge (until the next post!) you know that we have already discussed Floridian weather at length.
"Florida" on account of the flowers, the vegetation.
Vegetation because of the rain.
Indeed much of Florida is perpetually under water.
And we don't need to revisit my visit of 2014, do we? :evilgrin:

On a more formal note here, I would register my displeasure at news sources who each week decry the "Death of young mother and three toddlers as vehicle swept away". I write frequently e.g. A High Wind in Jamaica about the energy in a body of fluid. and the figures you provide demonstrate just how serious a higher wind-speed can be:-
The recorded Bonavista 90Km/h earlier this month contained more than three times the energy of today's predicted 60 Km/hr, while the predicted Florida 177Km/hr in your neck of the swamps carries over twenty-five times as much energy.

In every report about people dying after vehicles being swept away I see the same old boring admonitions "Don't try to drive though a flooded creek", but never, NEVER, an explanation of why a flooded road is so dangerous.
(There is more than just the energy, but the energy alone would be a good foundation for the warning).

Of course, wind, too, is a fluid, and a wind of 177 Km/hr is absolutely a good reason for plywood.

Which prompts the question: In hurricane-prone areas such as Florida, do people have a stockpile of plywood in their garage? Or do they rush out and buy new sheets each time? Do people fit their plywood sheets to the window frames with toggles or firm latches, or do they drag out a bucket of four-inch nails each time?

AFTER you have arranged your plywood, and while it is too dangerous (projectiles flying at 177Km/h) might you detail the actual procedure that you follow?

Cheers, Chris

==

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

I see that there has been damage caused elsewhere in Newfoundland - on the same island, though on the other end of the island from Bonavista. I'm guessing Bonavista that will be somewhat affected. Take care, Chris!
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-09-25/ ... /101471912

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

Not always nice to be the center of attention - or the cone of probability either. :flee:
5day_cone_with_line_and_wind_2022-09-26_1105 with circle.png
Looks like the plywood covers are going to go up this week. :sad:
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

Ouch.

Hang in there, stay safe.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

PJ_in_FL wrote:
26 Sep 2022, 15:40
Not always nice to be the center of attention - or the cone of probability either. :flee:
No doubt about it, PJ, you are in greater need of thoughts and prayers than ever I was.
Untitled.png
By way of illustration, two very crude lines approximating distance.

In Newfoundland the line represents distance between my humble abode and the Wreckhouse region, where Fiona passed by (but not across) and did the most damage.
In Florida, the near-vertical line is about the same distance, but is laid along the spine of the state. Ian is predicted to travel along the spine of the state. That is, Ian will not be passing a hundred or so kilometres off-shore, it will cross land and as well, Ian will pretty well sweep along the entire North-south peninsula.
That the population of Florida is 21,538,000 and that of Newfoundland is 520,000 will have some bearing on the scale of destruction.

For once, no Cheers.
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

PJ_in_FL wrote:
26 Sep 2022, 15:40
WeAreLinked.jpg
Here yoiu go, PJ.
We are brothers in misfortune.
Or at least, Two Loungers Linked By a Common Shower.
This was Ventusky at 3pm my time this afternoon.
Cheers, Chris

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

Spent the night with roaring wind and driving rain while the eye passed by a few miles away.

Now for the recovery... :sad:
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

PJ_in_FL wrote:
30 Sep 2022, 03:31
Spent the night with roaring wind and driving rain while the eye passed by a few miles away. Now for the recovery... :sad:
Hi PJ. I'm glad to hear that you are OK.
Did you relocate (I am guessing "not").
Any damage to structures in your home? Damage to garden?
Cheers, Chris

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Good to hear from you, PJ!

My sister-in-law is in Rotondo West, 5 miles inland from the where the eye wall struck. She spent almost 10 hours of winds higher than a hundred miles an hour. We learned this morning that she and close friends are safe and that the only property damage was loss of the screens over their lanais. The problem now is no potable water supply, no electric power, and very limited phone service.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

We happened to be in Orlando where I usually stay during the week for work.

Our home is in Pasco county, which is far enough north of the path the hurricane eventually took that there was little rain or wind, at least until the day after when the back side flow passed through the area. That was minor wind and rain, so there was no damage at all. We consider ourselves to be extraordinarily fortunate.

The news is now full of reports from the islands of Sanibel and Captiva and the areas surrounding Ft Myers that many, many people were not so fortunate. This may be in the top most devastating storms ever in terms of costs. Thankfully (it's almost painful to use that word in this context) there have been reported fewer than one hundred deaths so far. Searchers are still assessing the islands that have been cut off from the mainland, so the number will probably rise. The damage to the islands is very reminiscent of the effects of Hurricane Michael on the small coastal town of Mexico Beach, where nearly every structure was destroyed, and many washed back out to sea as the surge subsided.

Should there weigh on your heart a desire to help, please consider this site set up by the state of Florida that accepts donations to assist the victims:
"To contribute, please visit www.FloridaDisasterFund.org or text DISASTER to 20222."
(From the https://www.flgov.com/2022/10/01/first-lady-casey-desantis-announces-over-20-million-raised-within-48-hours-of-activating-the-florida-disaster-fund/ news release)
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

Well, here we are again, in the path of YAWRH (Yet Another Windy, Rainy Hurricane), wondering if the new screens will survive or if the landscaping will actually channel water into the house instead of away from it....

:groan:
NicoleTrack.png
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

PJ_in_FL wrote:
09 Nov 2022, 18:34
Well, here we are again, in the path of YAWRH (Yet Another Windy, Rainy Hurricane), wondering if the new screens will survive or if the landscaping will actually channel water into the house instead of away from it....
WOAGYAWOTAI(1)
As I type we have just dropped below 90Km/h gust speed, but the freezing rain and snow pellets are still arriving at anything from 0 to 30 degrees from the horizontal, thanks to the continuing Northerly stream.
Untitled2.png
The image from Ventusky shows that we are approaching the time when I might be able to blame our local conditions on you-guys. Again.

I am probably better off than you because I have decided to rewrite my WbWrd HTML compiler from scratch, and have two months supply of leaf tea.

Re potable water: I have about six weeks on hand at all times, because I harvest rain water and store it in five-gallon casks.
Given the frequency of hurricanes in Florida, I am surprised that people don't keep a few gallons stored under the kitchen sink.
In Southern Cross everyone kept a supply of drinking water, because we never knew when the pipeline from Perth would be interrupted.

Best wishes, or if there is enough rain, Best Washes!
Chris
(1)
Well, once again you are worse off than am I
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on 10 Nov 2022, 04:47, edited 1 time in total.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Stay safe, PJ!
Best wishes,
Hans

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

We're again at the resort where we stay during the week when I'm working in Orlando. The unit is on the top/6th floor, corner unit with a screened balcony. Sat outside in a protected corner for a few minutes while reading (L'Amour westerns) with the wind whipping the tops of the palm trees constantly. There is a level of excitement experiencing even the moderate winds and rain this far from the center. This is only moderately breezy, with sustained 20 MPH winds and gusts to 30. About daybreak things should get real exciting as the eye again passes near or over us.
ChrisGreaves wrote:
09 Nov 2022, 19:10
... just dropped below 90Km/h gust speed, but the freezing rain and snow pellets are still arriving at anything from 0 to 30 degrees from the horizontal,
Brrrrrrr! OK, you keep yours and I'll keep mine!
ChrisGreaves wrote:
... Re potable water: I have about six weeks on hand at all times, because I harvest rain water and store it in five-gallon casks.
Given the frequency of hurricanes in Florida, I am surprised that people don't keep a few gallons stored under the kitchen sink.
We always have between 15 to 30 gallons stored in steel RTIC gallon containers or repurposed glass bottles, aka wine bottles. Hey, gotta have a supply of necessities for those frequent hurricane parties!
ChrisGreaves wrote:
Well, once again you are worse of than am I
The people that chose to live right on the sand bars they call islands are in really bad shape. Several high-rise apartment buildings were declared unsafe due to the undermining of the beach after the sea walls were damaged by Ian. Now the remaining seawalls are being breached by the surge from Nicole. :sad:

Live on the ocean? Thanks but no thanks!
:flee:
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

PJ_in_FL wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 04:23
Brrrrrrr! OK, you keep yours and I'll keep mine!
Would that youse guys kept up your end of the bargain.
i see that Ian Nicole is predicted (by Ventusky) to head inland and then turn large parts of the eastern USA into the world's biggest outdoor car-wash before spending Saturday hosing down poor little Bonavista
... :flee:
Palming it off, to coin a phrase, on our Tuckamore.
Cheers, Chris
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on 10 Nov 2022, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Post by Graeme »

And all I have to moan about is cloudy skies!

I hope you people stay safe.

Regards

Graeme

http://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

One year later ...
A year after Fiona, a traumatized Newfoundland town backs away from the sea

This is something that you can do on a sparsely-settled coastline with towns whose population is around 1,000. But you would find it difficult to do in New Orleans or in coastal Florida.

I do not know how Newfoundland insurance differs from other provinces or states. I bought my house for $60,000 and found that it was insured for $180,000. That is the replacement value, and i assume that logic applies to houses across the province.
Marie Fisher had a kitchen fire, three houses down at the end of our street, and the insurance has paid for a new house on a grand plan with an underground stand-up crawl space, of course, modern sealed windows (like my new ones), all-new construction to replace the burned-out shell from the 1960s.

I suppose that will happen in Port Aux Basques.

Perhaps the greatest cost is emotional. If I and my neighbours had to be relocated, there's a chance that I would not find myself in the walk-across-the-lawn comfort of David, Kerry, Mervyn, Fred, Jennifer, who form my little clique of daily contact.
And of course I would have to start all over again on my 24'x16' new vegetable bed and my fifteen bins of compost ...
Cheers, Chris