Windows 11 Updates - Delayed Maybe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Windows 11 Updates - Delayed Maybe

Post by hlewton »

I am not sure what happened but I have been letting Windows updates install whenever they wanted to. On Oct. 26, 2022, 2022-10 Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11, version 22H2 for x64 (KB5018341) installed itself. The next day my Brother Printers no longer worked as they should. 2 of the 3 were grayed out and could not be used. The computer builder I use reset the Print Spooler in Windows Services and that made it work, UNTIL I rebooted.

So today I spent about 6 hours on the phone with Brother Support and the second tier of their support. We removed the printer and drivers, reset the network connections, and reinstalled multiple times all the software and drivers. On all my computers I had to create a new tcp/ip port to get one of the printers to work at all. I had never had a problem of this type with Windows updates but once is enough, as far as I am concerned. I may have to start pausing updates again.

BTW this is the same computer that my office 365 failed on yesterday too.

Anyone experience anything with the latest Win 11 updates?
Last edited by hlewton on 15 Apr 2023, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows 11 Updates - Delayed Maybe

Post by HansV »

I haven't experienced problems with this update, but I don't have a Brother printer...
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
28 Oct 2022, 20:22
I haven't experienced problems with this update, but I don't have a Brother printer...
Honestly I envy those who are problem free. Right now printers are working again but it too sooooooooo much effort. I just hope they continue to work. My one Brother that is an ink jet continued to work but both of the Brother printers that are laser, black and white and color were messed up.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Printer issues have been an ongoing problem for Windows 11 for several months. After each monthly cumulative update, there seems to be a different set of printers that don't work properly. That seems to get resolved then something else breaks with the next update. persistence and patience are the bywords for this.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
29 Oct 2022, 20:41
Printer issues have been an ongoing problem for Windows 11 for several months. After each monthly cumulative update, there seems to be a different set of printers that don't work properly. That seems to get resolved then something else breaks with the next update. persistence and patience are the bywords for this.
I agree. My problem is I always have to contact someone for help in resolving the problems because I try to be careful I don't mess things up even worse, if that's possible. I was not exaggerating when I said I spent 6 hours on the phone yesterday with Brother's help. That blows the heck out of the day.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I am curious and a bit upset. I have been rather cautious when installing updates since I had these printer problems. I have paused all my machines which includes Windows 10 as well as Windows 11. Today I noticed that somehow on 1 Windows 11 machine, again, my pause was overridden and updates had been installed before I allowed that to happen. How can these pauses in installing updates be ignored and updates installed against my wishes and settings in Windows Updates?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You can only pause updates for 5 weeks. When those have passed, updates MUST be installed before you can pause updates again.

(If you have Windows 10 or 11 Pro, there is a hidden option to delay updates for 365 days)
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
23 May 2023, 14:58
You can only pause updates for 5 weeks. When those have passed, updates MUST be installed before you can pause updates again.

(If you have Windows 10 or 11 Pro, there is a hidden option to delay updates for 365 days)
Yes my 5 weeks had not expired, actually had about 12 days left. Still somehow the pause was ignored or changed and updates were installed.

Now about the hidden 365 days delay, can you tell me more? :grin:
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

See How to Delay Windows Updates and scroll down to the section "Delay Updates for 365 Days".
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
23 May 2023, 20:39
See How to Delay Windows Updates and scroll down to the section "Delay Updates for 365 Days".
Great, thank you. I will check it out.
Regards,
hlewton