Identifying ip addresses

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Identifying ip addresses

Post by hlewton »

I have an app on my phones that shows everything that is connected to my network at any given time. I have managed to identify all the devices and name them so I know exactly what and who are using my network. All except one connection is named and identified. The one I can't figure out is listed as \(none\) in the list of connected devices. It shows it is a wireless connection and has an ip address of 192.168.4.110. It also tells me it was made by Cloud Network Technology Singapore PTE. LTD. and has a mac address of 5c:61:99:98:6d:47. I have tried searching for the mac address and found nothing and also the company name and it does not help me identify the device. I then used the command prompt and ran "arp -a" which lists this device's ip address. I then successfully pinged this device, convincing me it does, in fact, exist. Then I ran "nslookup 192.168.4.110" trying to identify the device and that command shows it does not exist. Did I use the wrong syntax on the nslookup command? Please see the attachment.

I'm not sure what more can be done to find out what this device is and any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I do believe I have a secure network so even though this is a wireless connection, whatever it is must be inside my home. What else can I do to try to identify this device? Thanks
ara.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Identifying ip addresses

Post by JoeP »

I found this searching a bit:

"CNT is a subsidiary of Foxconn, which produces a wide range of goods for sale in the United States, from inexpensive toys to iPhones and PCs. A smart TV, potentially a Sony, an HP computer/laptop, an HP printer, or a Playstation are some of the options I found on the internet."

Looks as though almost anything that connects to the internet might have tech from this company. Check for some device that connects you may have overlooked.
Joe

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

The easiest way to identify this device will be to block it at the router. Look around to find what has stopped working. Then re-enable it if you need to.
StuartR

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

NSLOOKUP translates hostnames to IP addresses. It sometimes appears to do reverse lookups for you, but that depends on the server having registered the reverse name for you. In this case it would be looking for 192.168.4.110.in-addr.arpa my guess is that neither your router nor the device itself have registered this name.
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 13:53
I found this searching a bit:

"CNT is a subsidiary of Foxconn, which produces a wide range of goods for sale in the United States, from inexpensive toys to iPhones and PCs. A smart TV, potentially a Sony, an HP computer/laptop, an HP printer, or a Playstation are some of the options I found on the internet."

Looks as though almost anything that connects to the internet might have tech from this company. Check for some device that connects you may have overlooked.
Thank you Joe. Believe me, I have tried to find this devise for months and just came across the 2 methods I used in the command prompt window recently. Still no luck but I will keep searching.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

It could be a router or switch.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 13:57
The easiest way to identify this device will be to block it at the router. Look around to find what has stopped working. Then re-enable it if you need to.
That is what the support person from Eero suggested and I was afraid to block it for fear it would mess something else up. I may have to eventually do that. Thanks for your suggestion.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 14:02
NSLOOKUP translates hostnames to IP addresses. It sometimes appears to do reverse lookups for you, but that depends on the server having registered the reverse name for you. In this case it would be looking for 192.168.4.110.in-addr.arpa my guess is that neither your router nor the device itself have registered this name.
I see what you mean. I did the nslookup with the ip address of a device I have already named and it showed the same results as my unknown device. Thank you for the information. I'm going to have to take your suggestion above to solve this.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 14:04
It could be a router or switch.
I do have a 16 port switch. I am thinking that may be what it is. I have gone around to every device I have that is in close proximity to the Eero device it is connected to and unplugged them. Still no luck. I may have to unplug that switch to solve this. Thank you.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Nope, it wasn't the switch.
Regards,
hlewton