Creating a Backup

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Re: Creating a Backup

Post by hlewton »

I have to say this for Macrium, they seem to have a great support system and respond very quickly to support tickets.
Regards,
hlewton

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

Perhaps simply reading the comparison between the various versions of Reflect might have been in order. This comparison (which appears on the front page of the Macrium Reflect Free site) outlines the differences between the free and the paid versions (for both business and home use).
The Reflect Free version (contrary to your statement) is indeed free and does exactly what it claims. It is meant to be used on a single computer if things go awry.
The Reflect Home version (the paid version) includes the ADDITIONAL functionality of performing a "Bare metal restore to dissimilar hardware" - i.e. a complete restore to a different or a completely new computer (which is what you were trying to do using the free version). I am not aware of any free backup software which offers that capability.
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Perhaps what I did read meant something to me other than how you understand it:
Q: What uses are specifically excluded?
A: Reflect Free should not be used for:

Backup of a computer other than that on which it is installed.
Restore to a computer other than that backed up, other than its replacement.
Install it on a device you do not own for use with any person other than the original registered licensee.
Use it on more than 10 concurrent installs across any one organization.
I am replacing a computer I have with the one being built now. The bold words, specifically the last 4, above led me to believe that was possible and FREE. It turns out, it is not FREE. Since I am reading it again the way I originally interpreted it, I stick by my post. If I am interpreting the last 4 words wrong, than I am wrong in my post about it not being FREE.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

stuck wrote:
24 Sep 2022, 08:35
hlewton wrote:
23 Sep 2022, 21:46
Also and I just noticed this, the drive (?) on the far right is showing in Red. I installed this program on 3 machines in total and only this one shows that in Red. Any idea why that is and what, if anything, can I do about it?
I think it's in red because that partition is essentially full.

Ken
I believe you are probably correct. However, I am curious because I did nothing to shrink whatever No. 4 is called, not sure if it a partition or not because my drive is all one partition, as far as I know. When I check it using Properties in File Explorer it shows me the capacity as 1.81 TB or 1,999,641,767,936 Bytes. Since it is supposed to be a 2 TB SSD I guess that's as close as I can be to a 1 partition drive. In any case, again, I did nothing to shrink whatever Number 4 is in the following attachments. I believe you will see, as I did, that #4 is now blue like numbers 1, 2, and 3. Its size is now 15.2 MB smaller than it was when I made an image of it. Again, please see the 2 attachments, the first one being what it was when I created the image and the second one being what it is now.

What would cause number 4 to shrink in size?

Image Then.jpg

Image Now.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Your Disk 1 has 4 partitions. Partitions 1, 2 and 4 are maintained by the system, they might be for recovery or something like that. You cannot view or use them yourself. And you don't have to worry about them - just let them be.
Partition 3 is your C: drive, that's the only one you interact with.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

My system disk also appears to be just one partition, C:\ but, like yours there are there other partitions on the drive.

As Hans said, You cannot view or use them yourself. And you don't have to worry about them - just let them be.

Ken

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you both for the explanation. I was thinking about why #4 could have shrunk in size. I do occasionally run Ccleaner on it but I also did that before I made an image of it. I also run adwcleaner but again, I always run that and did so before creating that image. I really have no explanation why it got smaller and not even sure running programs like I just mentioned would do anything to #4 partition anyway. However, the 15.2 MB size reduction must be the reason that partition is no longer Red. Then again, I have no idea why it was Red in the first place. None of my other computers has that partition in Red.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

None of the software you use will shrink partition #4. They only act on partition #3, your C: disk.
As I mentioned, this partition is managed by the system. I doubt very much that we can know what causes it to expand or shrink. And it doesn't matter - it is beyond your control.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
22 Oct 2022, 21:26
None of the software you use will shrink partition #4. They only act on partition #3, your C: disk.
As I mentioned, this partition is managed by the system. I doubt very much that we can know what causes it to expand or shrink. And it doesn't matter - it is beyond your control.
Thanks again. Not sure why I even care except that I noticed it was not the same. So, I am going to create another image of it one of these days.
Regards,
hlewton