Brother HL-2270DW Wifi Printer

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
BobH
UraniumLounger

Brother HL-2270DW Wifi Printer

Post by BobH »

It was a dark and stormy night . . . no, that's a different tale.

The 'root cause' of my difficulties was relocating the printer from one side of my desk to another. It hasn't worked since despite not even having to reconnect anything. The symptom was that the printer was offline; I couldn't get it back online. After trying every solution I could find online and in the manual, I decided to use its wifi capabilities which I've never tried. I'd like to get wifi set up so that the Spousal Unit can print from her iPad.

Having struggled with this printer for a few days now, I'm calling "uncle" and asking for advice. I fear I've developed a blind eye to something. When that happens I need someone to slap me on the forehead to set things straight again. I tried doing it myself with no improvement.

I've read the manuals, User and SetUp. I (think) I've reset it to default settings. I've powered it off and back on countless times (which is always my first solution with printers). I do not have the CD having purchased the unit used from an acquaintance.

Instructions call for something called the Wifi Protected Setup to be activated on the printer then on my Linksys EA7300 router. I've done that. I did get a WPS PIN Code from the Printer. I have the router PIN but this printer has no means to enter it unless it somehow shares it wirelessly.

I would be much obliged for that slap on the forehead! :hairout:

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

HansV
Administrator

Re: Brother HL-2270DW Wifi Printer

Post by HansV »

Have you tried the instructions at Configure the Brother machine for a wireless network using automatic wireless mode (Wi-Fi Protected Setup or AOSS™)? you have to press a button on the WiFi router first, then use a pen or pin to press the WiFi setup button on the back of the printer.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Yep! Still no joys!!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Hans,
Thank you for the slap on the forehead. :groovin:

My printer is now added by my network. The only think I can figure is that I must have been fat fingering the printer's PIN code, because it finally work. The only think I did differently was to enter a different PIN as it requires a new one on each attempt.

Perhaps this thread will help someone else searching for an answer to this questions.

Thank you, again!

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

:scratch:

My exuberance was premature!

Yes, the printer is added to the network. The network map on my router shows it clearly; however, I still cannot print. Settings tell me that the printer is still offline.

How do I vary it back online?

UPDATE:

The problem has changed! For the umpteenth time, I deleted and added the printer back. I could then print a test page. I thought the problem was resolved - and it might be. I can print from notepad and I can print from Word, but I can't print return instructions from Amazon. When I click on the button I get the instructions displayed and I click on the Print button but nothing happens. I looked at the print queue and there was nothing there. This problem started because I couldn't print return instructions or anything else. At first, they would go into the print queue and stay there. I could not get them to restart. That's when I discovered that the printer was offline and eventually decided to change to use it wirelessly. That seems to be working now, but the Amazon return instructions seem to be dumped into the bit bucket.

:hairout: :scratch: :hairout:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

jolas
3StarLounger

Post by jolas »

Even in wireless type of connection try the above printer connection settings. It seems the SNMP setting is the causing the offiline setting on many printers
offline.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Jolas!

I was able to get the printer back online via deleting it from the system, powering it off for a few minutes, powering back up and adding it. I can now print from my PC wirelessly.

Next? Make it work from an iPad.

Again, Thank You!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

jolas
3StarLounger

Post by jolas »

You may need to install Brother’s iPrint&Scan iOS  to be able to have your iPad print to this printer.

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

jolas wrote:
25 Sep 2022, 02:16
Even in wireless type of connection try the above printer connection settings. It seems the SNMP setting is the causing the offiline setting on many printers

offline.jpg
Jolas
Where is this configuration page, please, or is it only a Brother printer configuration setting? I think this might be the problem with a friend's printer,
Silverback

jolas
3StarLounger

Post by jolas »

SMNP.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

jolas wrote:
26 Sep 2022, 07:01
You may need to install Brother’s iPrint&Scan iOS  to be able to have your iPad print to this printer.
Yes, Thank you!

I do have Brother's iPrint&Scan installed. I find I can easily print everything but documents and I can print them with some finagling. I need to learn more about using that app from the iPad.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I attempted to verify that the SNMP box was unchecked and got the error message after clicking on Configure Port.
2270 func not sptd.PNG
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

jolas
3StarLounger

Post by jolas »

When the Network Discovery setting is on (usually the default for Windows computer) it will detect available devices including printers and will install itself using the WSD(Web Services for Devices). It is an easy way to install printer without installing it, it just appear as a device. In my environment case we have a lot of printers that would just install itself. And you will soon find out the the port (WSD) is unreliable and would cause more agitation.

That is why I will turn off Network Discovery (in my case) and install printer manually through the Add Printer of the Devices and Printers and create a fixed ip address as the printer port.

Now the instruction on the figure in my earlier post would show up.

Hope this helps.