Creating a Backup

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Creating a Backup

Post by hlewton »

I hate to admit it but I have never created a "Backup" as such of my entire computer. I backup every data file I use on a daily basis. So I tried to find out how to do it on the WEB and am not following it too well. I found this:
"There are several ways to back up your PC.

1. Select the Start button, then select Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Backup and Restore.
2. Do one of the following: If you've never used Windows Backup before, or recently upgraded your version of Windows, select Set up backup, and then follow the steps in the wizard."

In trying to use No.1, I find no System and Maintenance section of the Control Panel. When I search for "Backup" in the System section of the Control Panel, it seems to want me to backup to the cloud. I don't want to do that. I want to create backups on an external drive and not in the cloud. I find Security and Maintenance but no backup there.

In trying to follow No.2, In the Control Panel I only see Backup and Restore with Windows 7 listed under it. Please see attachment. Not sure what that means. So can I use that to create backups on Win 10 and Win 11 machines onto my external drives?
Backup.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Creating a Backup

Post by stuck »

I too only ever back up data but my home PC use is light and so if my Windows installation ever got so screwed up that I did want to roll back it won't be any great effort for me to reinstall Windows and my applications from scratch.

Having said that, I did recently use the :free: version of Macrium Reflect to clone the HDD of a laptop (Win 8.1 plus a few applications plus a bit of data) onto an SSD as doing that was going to be quicker / less hassle than starting from scratch.

Others here will also mention Macrium Reflect for backups.

Ken

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

stuck wrote:
22 Sep 2022, 12:29
I too only ever back up data but my home PC use is light and so if my Windows installation ever got so screwed up that I did want to roll back it won't be any great effort for me to reinstall Windows and my applications from scratch.

Having said that, I did recently use the :free: version of Macrium Reflect to clone the HDD of a laptop (Win 8.1 plus a few applications plus a bit of data) onto an SSD as doing that was going to be quicker / less hassle than starting from scratch.

Others here will also mention Macrium Reflect for backups.

Ken
Thank you for the reply and the link. I never before looked into backing up the entire hard drive but I have never heard anything about what is built into the Windows OS.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

There is only the old built-in Windows 7 backup to do a complete system backup supplied with the OS. Most would recommend a thrid party backup solution. There are many - Macrium is one of them. Many have a free version and a paid version. The paid version will have more capabilities. You have to be the one to decide if a free or paid version is apporpriate.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
22 Sep 2022, 18:48
There is only the old built-in Windows 7 backup to do a complete system backup supplied with the OS. Most would recommend a thrid party backup solution. There are many - Macrium is one of them. Many have a free version and a paid version. The paid version will have more capabilities. You have to be the one to decide if a free or paid version is apporpriate.
Thank you for that information.
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

The reason that I keep a backup of my hard drive is that the licenses for some of the installed software are worth as much as the laptop itself. It is usually possible to retrieve the license for most things if the laptop dies, but not for everything, and it can be time consuming.
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
23 Sep 2022, 07:34
The reason that I keep a backup of my hard drive is that the licenses for some of the installed software are worth as much as the laptop itself. It is usually possible to retrieve the license for most things if the laptop dies, but not for everything, and it can be time consuming.
I was always under the impression that Belarc Advisor could do that for me. So I always run that on each machine I have. However, I'd still like to have it stored safely as you do. I'm just not sure what I need but think it is an "Image" not a "Backup" if I want everything stored safely on an external hard drive.
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I agree, that you need a complete image of the hard drive if you want to be able to recover.

The trouble with Belarc or similar, is that they just give you the license information. Some products have a policy of just allowing you to register once, some let you deactivate the license on the old computer and then reinstall, but if the 'old' computer is a broken hard drive then you're out of luck.
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
23 Sep 2022, 14:09
I agree, that you need a complete image of the hard drive if you want to be able to recover.

The trouble with Belarc or similar, is that they just give you the license information. Some products have a policy of just allowing you to register once, some let you deactivate the license on the old computer and then reinstall, but if the 'old' computer is a broken hard drive then you're out of luck.
May I ask what program you use to create the image? A while back I tried using Macrium Reflect. Not sure I created a good image but fortunately ended up not needing it when my computer was upgraded to Win 11. I do remember not being sure of what I was doing and consequentially I think I caused the 2 TB drive to be made into a 1 TB drive when I tried creating that image. So I think I need something that is easily understood since I find most programs assume you know what you're doing. That certainly is not the case for me. Also, in reading about many of the backup programs I saw where at least one of them did not backup Microsoft 365. I hope that isn't the case with all of them.
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I use Acronis TrueImage, but other people on here dislike it so I will leave you to make up your own mind.

Features that I like include - scheduled image or file backups, over my local network, restore images or files to the same or a different system, incremental and differential backups, continuous file backup to their cloud (retaining multiple versions to let me recover from accidents).
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I found a free program called AOMEI Backupper Standard. It is rated by PC World as the best Free option. I am not necessarily looking for a free version but I certainly do not need all the bells and whistles some programs offer. This program seems, to me, to be all I would need if "Cloning" means the same as creating an "Image" of the hard drive. It doesn't seem to offer the "Image" option but "Safe Clone" is an option. By its description, I believe, it is the same as an "Image." is that correct?
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
23 Sep 2022, 15:11
I use Acronis TrueImage, but other people on here dislike it so I will leave you to make up your own mind.

Features that I like include - scheduled image or file backups, over my local network, restore images or files to the same or a different system, incremental and differential backups, continuous file backup to their cloud (retaining multiple versions to let me recover from accidents).
Thanks I just read PC World's review of it and it was rated as the second best out there of those it tested. Seems to be very robust, which I don't think I need. Also, it mentioned that you had to supply credentials including passwords and I don't use passwords on my machines. In addition, the $50.00 version says it would not back up Microsoft 365. That's not good for me. I hope other programs do not require credentials and passwords as does this one. I do not want anything going to the clouds so maybe I can just supply a passwords for the backup itself, if necessary.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Not at all sure why I didn't find this a couple months ago but I think I have found a great tutorial on how to use Macrium Reflect. I think I'm going to give it a shot. I'd still like to know if "cloning" and creating an "image" are the same thing.
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Difference between a clone and an image backup.

A clone creates a new hard drive, that is an identical copy of the original drive, and can be used to replace the hard drive in the computer. Usually it will allow you to clone to a larger drive, creating some free space for later use. To create a second clone you would need a third hard drive.

An image backup creates a file that can later be restored to the same, or a different, hard drive. You can create image backups on a regular basis and keep multiple old versions, so long as you have enough space to store them. You can even create differential or incremental image backups to let you have multiple versions that take up less space.
StuartR

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
23 Sep 2022, 15:53
Difference between a clone and an image backup.

A clone creates a new hard drive, that is an identical copy of the original drive, and can be used to replace the hard drive in the computer. Usually it will allow you to clone to a larger drive, creating some free space for later use. To create a second clone you would need a third hard drive.

An image backup creates a file that can later be restored to the same, or a different, hard drive. You can create image backups on a regular basis and keep multiple old versions, so long as you have enough space to store them. You can even create differential or incremental image backups to let you have multiple versions that take up less space.
Thank you for that explanation.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Rebel wrote:
23 Sep 2022, 16:12
Cloning vs. Imaging a hard drive
Thank you for the link.
Regards,
hlewton

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

hlewton wrote:
23 Sep 2022, 15:36
... I think I have found a great tutorial on how to use Macrium Reflect. I think I'm going to give it a shot.
Might you share the link with those of us who want to sing-along as you go?
Thanks, Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
23 Sep 2022, 20:45
hlewton wrote:
23 Sep 2022, 15:36
... I think I have found a great tutorial on how to use Macrium Reflect. I think I'm going to give it a shot.
Might you share the link with those of us who want to sing-along as you go?
Thanks, Chris
Of course, I was just about to ask a question about it but first the link, Macrium Tutorial!

Now my question, as usual I find the tutorial lacking in some details, especially trying to follow the correct steps. Possibly it was made for an earlier version. When I got to where I think I need to be to create a full image and choose C: Drive as what I want to image it makes me choose all that you see checked in the attachment or it says I will have an incomplete image or some words to that effect. Please see attachment. Does it seem right that all 4 check marks should be there?
Image.jpg
Now another question comes to mind. If the need ever arises that I need to use this image how is that accomplished? By that I mean wouldn't Windows OS have to be installed first, download Macrium, and then run the restore? If it is an exact image of what I had, does restoring it overwrite the OS files that were initially installed to make the computer into more than just a paperweight?

Also and I just noticed this, the drive (?) on the far right is showing in Red. I installed this program on 3 machines in total and only this one shows that in Red. Any idea why that is and what, if anything, can I do about it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

hlewton wrote:
23 Sep 2022, 21:46
Also and I just noticed this, the drive (?) on the far right is showing in Red. I installed this program on 3 machines in total and only this one shows that in Red. Any idea why that is and what, if anything, can I do about it?
I think it's in red because that partition is essentially full.

Ken