Upgrade Windows 10 to Windows 11?

silverback
5StarLounger

Upgrade Windows 10 to Windows 11?

Post by silverback »

I have now been informed on my PC that "Windows 11 is ready - and it's free!"
Being somewhat of a 'If it ain't broke, then leave it alone" person, how different is W11 from W10? I can see from the forum that there are some problems with features having been downgraded.
Is it worth installing?
Thanks
Silverback

HansV
Administrator

Re: Upgrade Windows 10 to Windows 11?

Post by HansV »

Windows 11 works OK for me, but it has very little to commend it over Windows 10. As noted, Microsoft removed/downgraded several features. Some are rumored to return in the next major update, expected to be released in October or November. So you might want to wait until that time.
Best wishes,
Hans

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

My personal point is if its any good why give it away. I have tried Win 11 and liked it so much I immediately returned to Win 10 which I have had for over a year and still learning what to do to it and how to do it.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I've run every pre-release version of Windows 11 Pro in a VM and upgraded this Win10 Pro PC as soon as Win11 Pro was released. I've had no problems with it at all. There may be a few adjustments you need to make depending on your work style. The biggest changes are removing most of the right-click options on the taskbar. Context menus have been changed and take a little getting used to. For the context menus, there is a registry change you can find to revert to the Win10 style. Microsoft is gradually returning some of the taskbar functionality.

Overall Win11 has been fast and stable for me. If you are reluctant to upgrade the next release should be in the fall. That release may be more interesting to you.
Joe

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

I have found W11 very stable and am pleased that I upgraded from W10. As with all changes, be it Windows, Android, Apple etc. there are always new ways of working, some I find excellent, others not so much. I do not regret installing W11.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Roderunner wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 14:38
- snip - I have tried Win 11 and liked it so much I immediately returned to Win 10 - snip -
I must be having a Sheldon Cooper moment. I can't decide if this is sarcasm or if I missed something along the way. :scratch:
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

PaulB wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 21:04
Roderunner wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 14:38
- snip - I have tried Win 11 and liked it so much I immediately returned to Win 10 - snip -
I must be having a Sheldon Cooper moment. I can't decide if this is sarcasm or if I missed something along the way. :scratch:
I misspelt disliked
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

LineLaline
2StarLounger

Post by LineLaline »

I installed it over W10 quite a while ago and found so much missing that it was driving me nuts.
The start menu no longer allowed for pinning apps with a list of recently opened files in which you could even select an item and pin it in the top section: great if, for instance, you need to open a specific file often and don't want to first launch the application and then, if that option is available, select that file from the 'Recent Files' list. Sigh.
The Explorer was simplified by developers or, gulp, designers, who found the great list too difficult and only retained a few items. The top bar contained Very Useful commands such as 'Copy', and, of course, 'Paste', which can be useful in mobile apps but on desktops, sigh... What were they thinking?
More and more had to be done by numerous clicking which is, sigh, so, so, sad...
Windows11 slowed me down like crazy which was a drag because I felt like running back to W10, but I managed, I made it!