Clarity Of Reading A Newspaper On Line

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Clarity Of Reading A Newspaper On Line

Post by hlewton »

I choose Windows General because this problem happens on all my computers, those running Win 10 and those running Win 11. It happens on desktops and on laptops.

My local newspaper forces me to read the paper online on certain days because it does not publish a paper newspaper on those days. If this problem was specific to them, I'd have contacted them but it does happen with other publications at times. When I open the online paper the font is briefly very clear and very dark, almost like a bold, crisp font. Within a second or less it switches to a much lighter font which, for me, seems harder to read than if it had stayed darker. Any ideas how to fix this? Or is it another thing we just have to get used to and accept in this digital age?

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Clarity Of Reading A Newspaper On Line

Post by StuartR »

Which browser are you using to read this paper? Have you tried using a different one?
Please share a link to the paper so we can see what it looks like to us.
StuartR

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

hlewton wrote:
19 Sep 2022, 13:32
When I open the online paper the font is briefly very clear and very dark, almost like a bold, crisp font. Within a second or less it switches to a much lighter font which, for me, seems harder to read than if it had stayed darker.
Is it possible that the site requires a subscription payment?
Leif

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

hlewton wrote:
... When I open the online paper the font is briefly very clear and very dark, almost like a bold, crisp font. Within a second or less it switches to a much lighter font which, for me, seems harder to read than if it had stayed darker.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think I hold the Lounge Record for rants about newspapers, browsers, and newspapers and browsers. I have tried to "get with it" in terms of technology but ...

About three years back The Toronto Star began displaying some parts of the page upside down.
Then there was little menu bar appears at the top of the newspaper window.
As is that were not enough
Web pages are becoming more unreadable day by day
And a session has flung up a series of (to me) rogue web pages from various proper sources.

I moved to Bonavista so that I lived in a place with a real paper newspaper, albeit once a week; published in a town ninety minutes drive to the South, but gave up on that when the price went from $2.10 to $2.65 for eight pages of advertisements for fleecy long-sleeved shirts.

In desperation I have turned to online podcasts in French, Spanish, and Italian, because I find the bad English in the anglo-podcasts disruptive to my mental state. But then I found another good reason for not subscribing to any English-language news podcast

My overall feeling about all online daily sources (newspapers, banks, utility companies, ...) is that they each have a team of Real Keen youngsters who want to show off their skills in web pages, with complete and utter disregard for the poor users who have to navigate those pages.
I shall stop now because I can feel another rant coming on ...

Right now I have chosen to publish my own news online.
Commiserations :sad: Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
19 Sep 2022, 13:36
Which browser are you using to read this paper? Have you tried using a different one?
Please share a link to the paper so we can see what it looks like to us.
I have used both FireFox and Google Chrome. I think I even tried Brave one time too. Here is a link https://www.cantonrep.com/ but I doubt you'll see what I'm talking about. I read the eNewspaper and, I believe, you won't be able to access it without a subscription.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Looks OK to me in Firefox:

S1754.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Leif wrote:
19 Sep 2022, 13:59
hlewton wrote:
When I open the online paper the font is briefly very clear and very dark, almost like a bold, crisp font. Within a second or less it switches to a much lighter font which, for me, seems harder to read than if it had stayed darker.
Is it possible that the site requires a subscription payment?
Yes and I pay that to be able to access them. Also, please remember I have seen this happen at other sites too but I can't remember where they were. It always happens when I try to read this paper online. Back about a year or so ago, when they first started forcing us to read the Saturday and all holiday editions online, it worked fine. They have made changes that affected it and now it is always the same but I have not contacted them because it has happened to me at other sites, as I previously mentioned.

Wait a minute, I believe when I accidentally had the Chicago Tribune sending me emails, I saw the same thing happening there. I have since been able to unsubscribe to them so I cannot verify that. Unsubscribing to them, in itself, was a difficult process. Seems once they had you as a subscriber, they didn't want to lose you. I had to unsubscribe in a few different ways, if I recall correctly.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
19 Sep 2022, 14:30

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think I hold the Lounge Record for rants about newspapers, browsers, and newspapers and browsers. I have tried to "get with it" in terms of technology but ...

Commiserations :sad: Chris
I must say that the only reasons I continue to "try" to get a daily newspaper is:
1: I used to deliver them back 65 to 66 years ago and developed a dependency on them. The newspaper is same one as the one I get today.
2: I have subscribed to them for 57 years and before that they were always in the house where I lived.
3: I want to keep up with the local obituaries.
4: I have to follow my favorite daily comic strips. Although I have found and saved shortcuts to each of them on line.
5: I like the feel of a printed page in my hands as I drink my morning coffee.
6: I cannot say to keep me abreast of local sports and news items because they are always 1 to 2 days behind on both of those items.
7: Useful if a pesty fly is around while I am reading. :grin:
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
19 Sep 2022, 16:26
Looks OK to me in Firefox:

S1754.png
Hans, that part looks great to me also. It is in the eNewspaper section where it happens. I do not believe you will be able to access that portion because you don't have a subscription to the paper. It is available only after you "Sign In" to that site.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You are correct, I cannot view the E-Edition.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
19 Sep 2022, 18:17
You are correct, I cannot view the E-Edition.
Yep, and that's where I have to read this paper.

A little side story. There is this one comic strip that likes to print its strip vertically instead of horizontally. It was happening quite frequently so I contacted the strip's creator. I explained to him that when it was on a paper copy it was easily turned 90 degrees to the right to read the strip. However, that wasn't the case when being forced to read it on a desktop monitor. He laughed and said he'd take that into consideration in the future but his strip was already done for the next year. Asked me to have patience with him. :grin:
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

In general, a web designer sets the font and typeface for a web page. Your best option is to contact the newspaper and see if they can help you. Most newspapers are very short on people these days. So, don't hold your breath.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
24 Sep 2022, 18:12
In general, a web designer sets the font and typeface for a web page. Your best option is to contact the newspaper and see if they can help you. Most newspapers are very short on people these days. So, don't hold your breath.
Thanks Joe but I have already done that. The few people they have left seem to know less about this than I do. So I just wasted my time. The bad thing is, I had to talk to the supervisor of the digital section, not an employee if there is any. They knew nothing. Than I come to find out they are also the head of the circulation department. So, that paper has more problems than I know about, I'm sure. Like everything else we are forced to either live with it or stop their service all together. If i didn't know better, I'd think they were owned by MS.
Regards,
hlewton