My lady is happy

RonH
SilverLounger

My lady is happy

Post by RonH »

A 'surprise' flower has grown in her vegie tub ... must have been dropped by a 'fly by' :grin: .
Sunflower (Medium).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Re: My lady is happy

Post by HansV »

Lovely!
Best wishes,
Hans

DocAElstein
4StarLounger

Me and my neighbours are happy and surprised.

Post by DocAElstein »

Me and the neighbours are a bit surprised by the height of some of my Sun Flowers in the wheelbarrows this year. Could be due to the strategic parking of my old VW Bus and the neighbours advertisement trailer. It shelters them a bit from the strong winds that often break the tallest ones, and maybe they also make that extra effort to get a better view of the sun.
https://i.postimg.cc/ydQ1BD5F/CIMG4900.jpg
rsz_1rsz_cimg4900.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/br4qDKqr/CIMG4901.jpg
rsz_cimg4901.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I seriously don’t ever try to annoy. Maybe I am just the kid that missed being told about the King’s new magic suit, :(

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

G'day Doc,
I was wondering why our sunflower does not follow the sun. On further reading it seems that only the youngsters do this ... the seniors continue to face east. A bit stiff maybe like senior folk :laugh:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

DocAElstein
4StarLounger

Post by DocAElstein »

Hi Ron,
You're right, the biggest ones seem to be facing East. (Those last pics were taken mid morning, as I recall, so you can see the shaddow indicating the big flowers are pointing at the sun is in the East). I never noticed before. – I am no Gardener, I just tried the Wheelbarrow experiment a few years back to help pretty up our never ending building site. It got such a good resonance from the neighbours, so I always do them now. - (Like a Race Horse past its prime, when the Wheelbarrows get worn out, I make them look nice and they are sent on to more pleasing seeding activities… )
The wheelbarrows still function, can move at least, so of course one advantage of them is that I can change the position and orientations as I suit. Those last two are where I put them at the start of the season. A third I stupidly parked up against a steep soil/ rubble embankment, and an army of some snail/ slug things climbed up, jumped across, and decimated almost everything in it.
I moved that now.
One of the few survivors has an over thick stem, and with unusual thick branches, looks more like a Sunflower / Tree Mutation. - Survival of the thickest? - That has not flowered yet. I wonder what his preferences will be. (He may need to go mobile again as the local authorities were complaining again a few days ago about my use of the pavement – that is a second reason I do it: - Its like my illegally occupied safety zone - The idiots often are kept busy there, as long as they feel good when they think they caused me to me to do something, they don’t look further in at my main building activities, which suits me better).
https://i.postimg.cc/nLV4fgqY/Sun-Flower-Tree.jpg
rsz_sunflower_tree.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/9FLvy51s/Tree-Stem.jpg
rsz_tree_stem.jpg
I seriously don’t ever try to annoy. Maybe I am just the kid that missed being told about the King’s new magic suit, :(

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Hi Doc,

Seems you have a sunflower genetic problem ... or a benefit! Maybe your tree should be mentioned to your horticultural experts. :cheers:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

DocAElstein
4StarLounger

Post by DocAElstein »

Hi Ron,
Well it’s a thought… I didn’t document it so well though, but I can recall approximately the unusual method this time around. ( Having no idea what I am doing does allow me to randomly experiment differently every time). I ripped down some old plastic sheets and Tarpaulin at the start of the year that were intended originally as a temporary roof on a large shack under a lot of large trees. (My property looks partly like a small forest… )
20 years later it was still there before I ripped it down this year, and on the top was black mulch of what had fallen from the trees and rotted over the last 20 years, partly in puddles, or rather small rain water lakes. That became my plant soil for this year, ( with just a layer of sand on top for aesthetics – I thought it matched nicely the orange paint work on the old wheelbarrow).

Maybe if the soil comes primarily from rotting tree bits, it can cause some interesting mutations…

My experiments have about a 1 in a thousand success rate. I don’t let it worry me. I look at each of the other 999 failures as part of the final working solution.

( Actually there was a bit of soil spare. So I tried a wet rag experiment… Just a few days ago, I put the soil in a pretty orange bucket, put some seed in it, added a last thin layer of sand, put a rag over it which I kept wet, and left it next to a warm boiler in the cellar. 3 days later the things are showing already – on average it usually took 2 weeks! Another success? – Or failure? – maybe the shock of daylight will kill them? https://i.postimg.cc/FHtwzkSP/Seeds-in- ... ag-Exp.jpg )