Home Economies: popped corn vs. puffed wheat

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Home Economies: popped corn vs. puffed wheat

Post by ChrisGreaves »

As a child in Lancashire, UK and in (anglo) Western Australia we had Quaker Puffed Wheat ("Shot from a cannon!") as a cold cereal. In my old age I continue to seek and find ways to avoid lugging air and/or water home from the supermarket.
Question: Apart from the fact that popped corn is made from corn and puffed wheat is made from wheat, what differences are there in terms of consuming breakfast cereal?
popping corn3.69 1.00 Kg
Shreddies6.99 0.76 Kg
I shall monitor how much popped corn (puffed wheat) I make from a $3.69 bag and compare that to the cost of a similar plain-wheat cereal.
2022_06_20220612_112459.jpg
A one kilogram sack of popping corn. $cdn3.69 at your nearest high-priced supermarket in Bonavista.
2022_06_20220612_121801.jpg
My popping corn jar holding the sack of popping corn.
2022_06_20220612_121804.jpg
Two empty four-litre (~one gallon) iced-cream tubs.
(to be continued ...)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Home Economies: popped corn vs. puffed wheat

Post by ChrisGreaves »

(... continued)
2022_06_20220612_123214_HDR.jpg
Two full four-litre (~one gallon) iced-cream tubs and a depleted jar of popping corn. This represents a fresh start for June, a new sack and my first batch of popped corn.

One cannot purchase Quaker Puffed Wheat in Bonavista; the closest plain cereal I could find was Shreddies at $7 for 0.76 Kg.
If any UK loungers heads out shopping at the co-op on Manchester Road in Goodshaw next week, I would appreciate an idea of cost in £ of a box or bag of puffed wheat, with an estimate of volume and weight.

At the end of my sack of popping corn I will compare the cost or price of home popped-corn versus the equivalent in factory puffed wheat.
Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 15:51
At the end of my sack of popping corn I will compare the cost or price of home popped-corn versus the equivalent in factory puffed wheat.
popcorn$3.69 kg
shreddies$9.20 kg
Then it dawns on me that I need not wait. The table above shows the price-per-kilo of material; Shreddies works out at $9.20 per kg, roughly two and a half times the rate for popping corn.
In terms of volume I have won handsomely, the sack of corn is much much smaller than the cardboard carton and waxed paper sack within. Not to mention the ecological footprint, all the way to the reduced diesel fuel required for the extra truck space to accommodate the carton of expanded grain.

in terms of mass, the saving is just that 2.5 multiplier. If that. Popping corn causes moisture within the kernel to vaporize, which is why in mid-winter my kitchen window steams up. That water vapour escapes, so I am left with less than a kilogram of mass.

Cheers, Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 19:18
Then it dawns on me that I need not wait.
Well, I didn't have to weight [sic!] too long, although I had grossly under-estimated the impact of my recent post.
Kellogg will separate its North American cereal and plant-based foods business ...
Serially yours, Chris