Recording A Zoom Meeting

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Recording A Zoom Meeting

Post by hlewton »

Is there is any software available to record and save a Zoom meeting on my computer? I'd like suggestions of what to use and hopefully it can be free. I do not need anything fancy, just something that will record and allow me to save the meeting.

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Recording A Zoom Meeting

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
20 May 2022, 17:01
Recording
Thank you Hans. I have to mention again, I am not getting email notifications of replies to my posts. I didn't make any changes to my account so I have no idea what is happening.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Our email notification system is a bit wonky, sorry about that.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

OK, I got one for this reply.
Regards,
hlewton

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

hlewton wrote:
20 May 2022, 16:28
Is there is any software available to record and save a Zoom meeting on my computer? I'd like suggestions of what to use and hopefully it can be free. I do not need anything fancy, just something that will record and allow me to save the meeting.
You may find something of interest amongst these topics in the Audacity BBS.
Cheers, Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
21 May 2022, 14:35
hlewton wrote:
20 May 2022, 16:28
You may find something of interest amongst these topics in the Audacity BBS.
Cheers, Chris
Thank you. I will check them out
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

hlewton wrote:
21 May 2022, 16:34
But do you need to? Hasn't Hans has already pointed you at info about how to record within Zoom itself, i.e. without the need for third party software, like Audacity? Especially when Audacity only handles audio, it can't do video.

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
21 May 2022, 17:41
But do you need to? Hasn't Hans has already pointed you at info about how to record within Zoom itself, i.e. without the need for third party software, like Audacity? Especially when Audacity only handles audio, it can't do video.
Good point, Ken. i had overlooked that.
I had remembered that there was a set of topics related to zoom on Audacity, and reasoned that there was some expertise on Zoom-Recording over there.
Cheers, Chris
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on 22 May 2022, 13:47, edited 1 time in total.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

stuck wrote:
21 May 2022, 17:41
hlewton wrote:
21 May 2022, 16:34

Ken
I guess not. I am still figuring out what I need to do. I would like to record not only the video but also the audio of this zoom meeting. The fellow who starts these zoom meetings has me call him on the phone and we talk as we are going through the meetings. He transfers the zoom to me as if I initiated the meeting, I think so he can view my screen as we are talking. So I am thinking I need to send him a note asking if we can do, not only the video through zoom, but also the audio so I can have all of it recorded for future reference. I am trying to make the best use of the 1 hour of "face to face" help I am entitled to with the purchase of lessons I purchased from him to learn how to use TurboCad. I know without being able to record that hour, I will forget much of what he shows me.

I have never initiated a zoom meeting. So, I need to figure out how to do that in addition to what I want to record. That's why I am checking out any suggestions and appreciate all help I can get. I did check out that Audacity link and thought it wasn't what I needed but still am thankful for the suggestion.
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

hlewton wrote:
21 May 2022, 18:33
I have never initiated a zoom meeting...
I've done it once, maybe twice, using the :free: version. I can't remember the details but it was very easy and intuitive. Start by signing up for a free account and downloading the client:
    https://zoom.us/download

Ken

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

stuck wrote:
22 May 2022, 08:55
hlewton wrote:
21 May 2022, 18:33
I have never initiated a zoom meeting...
I've done it once, maybe twice, using the :free: version. I can't remember the details but it was very easy and intuitive. Start by signing up for a free account and downloading the client:
    https://zoom.us/download

Ken
Thank you for that. I must not be very good at doing searches because I tried yesterday to find a free zoom link and always ended up with a trial version that was not free.
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I don't know but I can imagine that you will need a subscription to be able to do 'clever' stuff, like record meetings. I only ever used Zoom at its most basic, to be able to send a link to my 89 year old mother, so that she all she had to do was click on that link and then see and chat to me and her grandchildren.

Ken

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I have a free Zoom account. When I start a meeting the bottom of my screen looks like this...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Well there you go! My cynicism was misplaced, that looks like a result!

Ken

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you both very much. I downloaded it already but haven't installed it yet. I will do that when it is time for my meeting.
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

hlewton wrote:
22 May 2022, 15:18
Thank you both very much. I downloaded it already but haven't installed it yet. I will do that when it is time for my meeting.
Might it not be 'safer' to install it ahead of that time and then experiment with it? For example by inviting a friend to a meeting where all you do is chat and try to record that chit chat?

Ken

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

stuck wrote:
22 May 2022, 15:22
hlewton wrote:
22 May 2022, 15:18
Might it not be 'safer' to install it ahead of that time and then experiment with it? For example by inviting a friend to a meeting where all you do is chat and try to record that chit chat?

Ken
Yes that a great suggestion. Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

So I was thinking maybe I need to explain exactly what I would like to do and also, maybe Zoom is not the way to go. When this 1 hour of one on one instruction takes place the fellow will need to share my computer, open the TurboCad program from my computer, and use the tools in that program to show me what to do. So, I am not sure Zoom would allow me to record the desktop and the audio instructions while he is sharing my screen. Maybe there is something better I could use that would record both the screen and the conversation that will be taking place during this hour.

I thought of setting up a digital video camera on a tripod over my shoulder to do this but not sure if that is the best way to go. Also thought of turning the camera around facing the computer screen to record the call in Zoom. It has both video and audio and can be used in a Zoom meeting. Not sure that is a great idea either.

Are there any other suggestions or software I could use to record both the video and audio of this lesson?
Regards,
hlewton

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

hlewton wrote:
23 May 2022, 12:03
... So, I am not sure Zoom would allow me to record the desktop and the audio instructions while he is sharing my screen.
As Ken/Stuck suggested, wouldn't the best option be to try it and find out yourself? That way, you will know exactly the quality and detail you would be able to capture/record.
Leif