Windows 11 Taskbar Displaying Open Applications

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Windows 11 Taskbar Displaying Open Applications

Post by hlewton »

Please see the attachment. Is there a way to not have what I have circled showing on the Taskbar? In Windows 10 it never showed the open applications this way and it takes up a lot of room now the way it is displayed. Is there a setting or even a Registry hack that would make it more like Windows 10?
Taskbar1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows 11 Taskbar Displaying Open Applications

Post by HansV »

This is not the default setting in Windows 11 - have you installed a utility to tweak the interface?
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Other than having everything setup to be like Windows 10 the only thing I know that was installed was https://www.stardock.com/products/start11/ which is supposed to make the Start Menu look like the Classic version from previous Windows.

Also, I have another problem right now and I can not find a restore point to reverse what I did. I tried to make the Taskbar icons a little bigger and found a video all about the Taskbar. It said to create a HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced Click New and then DWORD (32-bit) Value Set the name of the DWORD Value as “TaskbarSi” and hit the Enter key to save changes. Small taskbar – TaskbarSi value 0 Default taskbar – TaskbarSi value 1 Large taskbar – TaskbarSi value 2 , which I did. I entered a value of 2 and the Taskbar is bigger. I tried reversing it and when I went back into that key it showed a value of "0" where it started before I changed it. I tried entering a "1" and that did no good. I then deleted the key and that still did not put the Taskbar back to the way it was. I then looked for a Restore point and the only thing I found was Windows wanting to reload Windows 11. Can I fix this some way?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Start11 has a setting for not showing labels in the taskbar: under "Taskbar buttons should be combined", select Always.
About the taskbar size: did you restart Windows after changing the registry entry?
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
07 May 2022, 16:15
Start11 has a setting for not showing labels in the taskbar: under "Taskbar buttons should be combined", select Always.
About the taskbar size: did you restart Windows after changing the registry entry?
Yes I restarted Windows a couple times and it did no good. I was thinking of making that key again and seeing if that would do any good but didn't know if I should try that and take a chance on messing it up even further.

Doesn't Windows 11 create Restore Points? If it does I can't find them.

Thank you for the information on Start11. It worked.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Hans, I got the taskbar icons size fixed. Start11 had that option in it. So that is fixed. Still I am wondering about the restore points in Windows 11? I didn't see any.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes, Windows 11 does support restore points, but I don't know if it's enabled by default. Click the Start button and type restore point. The first search result should take you to the relevant control panel dialog.

You already solved the following.

Doesn't Start11 have a setting for taskbar size? Their website suggests so:
Take control of the taskbar by adjusting its size, color, blur and more to make it match your personalized Start menu.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

OK that allowed me to create a Restore Point so hopefully I have that protection now. Thanks for all your help.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

In the same dialog you can configure how much space you want to reserve for restore points.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
07 May 2022, 19:17
In the same dialog you can configure how much space you want to reserve for restore points.
Yes I thought about that after the fact but will go back and make that change.
Regards,
hlewton