Settings in Windows 11

RonH
SilverLounger

Re: Settings in Windows 11

Post by RonH »

Windows 11 allows Apps to be positioned in the order you want but it lacks the ability to group under headings as per att ... unless I have missed a cue? It pins apps differently.

My Windows 10
Screenshot 2022-03-01 165217.jpg

My Windows 11
Screenshot .jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by RonH on 01 Mar 2022, 16:58, edited 1 time in total.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes, the Start menu has been simplified even further. This is what it looks like (not mine):

S1184.png

The Start menu is fixed in size, one cannot enlarge it.
There is a section Pinned, where you can place pinned apps. At most 18 are visible at the same time, and while you can drag them around, there is no way to group them.
To see other applications, click 'All apps'. This presents an alphabetical list of all applications, much like the one in Windows 10. But it replaces the view you see above. There is no way to view pinned apps and the list of all apps at the same time.
Below the pinned apps, there is a section Recommended. By default, this displays recently used apps and recently opened files. If you don't like that, you can disable the display, but the title Recommended and the empty space below it will remain. There is no way to remove Recommended.
The space at the bottom, with the user avatar and the power button, can be customized in a limited way. There are a few icons you can display there, such as Settings, File Explorer etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Perhaps by 2025, when Win 10 reaches end of life (and so I'll have to buy a new machine even though my current not Win 11 compatible box will still be more than adequate for my needs), Win 11 will be more flexible / less dumbed down.

I'm not holding my breath though.

Ken

DocAElstein
4StarLounger

Re: Settings in Windows 11. They have an Evil Charm, maybe

Post by DocAElstein »

After a few weeks of my first win 11 machine, my main conclusion so far is that no major difference but that a lot of things just look and feel nicer. I am not quite sure why that is, just a feeling. Windows 10 felt cold and hard. Windows 11 just seems more warm, mild feel to it, and, dare I say it, almost beautiful, in some places.
Maybe that is just by chance or they put some aesthetics expert on to it, or worse, some devious psychological plan to make windows 11 shine out in contrast, compared to windows 10.
I have noticed some long time windows 10 critics, who say they like windows 11, although they can’t quite say why, other than it looks and feels nice.
An Evil charm, maybe…

This is my win 11, my little skybluey, thing, bless him
https://i.postimg.cc/DwjBx2m7/21-H2-Win-11-Pro.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/yNDn5wSc/Start-Men ... 11-Pro.jpg
Start Menu 21H2 Win 11 Pro.jpg
I seriously don’t ever try to annoy. Maybe I am just the kid that missed being told about the King’s new magic suit, :(

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Check out Start11 and StartIsBack to change the start menu. Neither is free but both are inexpensive.
Joe

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Just a closing comment ... after experiencing Windows 11 for a few days I am also impressed. It does seem fast and in spite of my early hmm's over the new Start Menu I am pleased that I made the upgrade.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.