Settings in Windows 11

RonH
SilverLounger

Settings in Windows 11

Post by RonH »

Over time, I have made various changes to some Settings in Windows 10. I can't recall them all ...there is a large list of Settings as we all know.
When W11 is installed will all changes revert to whatever the default Settings are for this release :scratch:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Settings in Windows 11

Post by HansV »

No, if you install Windows 11 as an update to Windows 10, your current settings will be preserved.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks Hans ... that is good news. Interestingly I could not find an answer to this in my search. All search attempts came back with own files OK.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

Hello Ron, I had a minor glitch with Paint, but got it sorted. Snipping Tool was another issue, but I found a capable portable version. NotePad is different but useable. I just didn't like Win 11 so returned to Win 10.
If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have NO luck at all.
Windows 11 Home 23H2 Laptop

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Cheers Ted ... thanks for these tips. I am thinking of installing Windows 11 after month end when I have saved all my files on ext hd which I routine every month end.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Paint in Windows 11 has been substantially updated/rewritten. Paint does not yet support dark mode but almost assuredly will soon. It will have more changes coming as Microsoft works its way through the feedback. It is now a Microsoft Store app and is not subject to the release cadence of Windows. The same with Notepad. It is substantially rewritten to be a store app but functionally is pretty much the same. Notepad does support dark mode. I find the snipping tool to be fine. It too is a store app. It can be invoked by Winkey + Shift + S or if you change settings you can use the PrtScr key at Accessibility | Keyboard.
Joe

DocAElstein
4StarLounger

Post by DocAElstein »

Hi,
I used the snipping thing in windows 11 the first time recently. I found it OK for what I want.
Also it was a nice relief to see it does seem to have that nice feature that snipping tool had, but occasionally lost in windows 10 – that feature where you could hit Esc after launching the tool, then do something like bring up a pop up, then hit Ctrl+Print so as to set off snipping tool and capture the pop up, which otherwise would disappear when launching snipping tool from scratch.
( It seems to work slightly differently in the snipping thing in windows 11. You still use the Esc, but instead of Ctrl+Print , its now MicrosoftButton+Shift+s

( I find it a shame it does not have the nice seamless link to Paint. , which unfortunately I only just recently noticed…. Oh well, that’s life , you don’t know what you had till its gone Possibly with more experience on the windows 11, I will get to use the snipping thing and paint as easily. Time will tell.

Regarding Notepad
I use Notepad ++ a lot recently. For no particular reason I always install an old version I have. I just installed that out of interest on windows 11 to try it out . I had to jump over a small Hurdle as Microsoft warned that they stopped me doing it to save me from something else possibly dangerous. But I got over that, and it looks to work and look exactly the same as it did on XP Vista Win 7 8.1 10
Possibly if you have an old version of notepad, if it’s available somewhere, then maybe it would work and look on Win 11 the same as it did on earlier versions? I am not sure.
Certainly my old version of Notepad ++ looks no different on windows 11 than it does on any early windows.
I think it may not be too difficult to make your own notepad. I remember when I attended a short evening class on Visual Basic 2008 and visual basic 2010 , we made one as a learning exercise. I could not find it yet, unfortunately.
There seem to be a few tutorial examples of how to do it on the internet.
Here is my Notepad ++ copy https://app.box.com/s/vejtptvr2mz4gy4bc8yv2uz90cg897mo

Alan
I seriously don’t ever try to annoy. Maybe I am just the kid that missed being told about the King’s new magic suit, :(

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Why do you object to the up-to-date version of Notepad++?
Best wishes,
Hans

DocAElstein
4StarLounger

Post by DocAElstein »

I don't......
DocAElstein wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 19:30
.... For no particular reason I always install an old version I have....
, never tried the new one, yet, I probabnly will. .
Sometimes if I have an earlier version of something and want to use it quick, I try the old one, first.
Better the Devil you know, initially.
No use looking for trouble. On avarage, new microsoft stuff is trouble, initially.
I will probably try the new one sometime
I seriously don’t ever try to annoy. Maybe I am just the kid that missed being told about the King’s new magic suit, :(

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

But Notepad++ is from an independent developer, not from Microsoft...
Best wishes,
Hans

DocAElstein
4StarLounger

Post by DocAElstein »

Oh, I never noticed that. Strange choice of name then. I wonder if I missed something else, - maybe there is a Windows++ ?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

See the Notepad++ website.
Best wishes,
Hans

DocAElstein
4StarLounger

Post by DocAElstein »

They have some wierd and interesting version names there ( No Notepad++ Windows++ version though :) )

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Installed today. Approx 2.5 hrs total but yet to reorganise Start Menu etc. Very smooth upgrade.

Will spend happy hours tomorrow checking some Settings, Widgets and Apps. Printer usually 'falls over' on major updates/upgrades ... we shall see if this is now a non issue :innocent:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Printer OK.
However, I was not able to access the Microsoft Security to eg do a scan. The solution I found online is:

Open Windows Security on Windows 11
Search/Power Shell/Run as Administrator
Enter:
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.SecHealthUI –AllUsers | Reset-AppxPackage (note the spaces)
Enter

I expect that all our technical folk resolved this at installation but if not I hope that this is of assistance.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks. (Windows Security was available for me after the upgrade without requiring special measures)
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Perhaps my access was restricted because I use the Home version of W10
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I have Windows 11 Home too. It must have been a glitch on your side...
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Could be. At least its now solved.
So far, I am pleased with W11 though I much preferred the W10 Start Menu flexibility ... though apps can still be deleted or reorganised in W11 but not under specific headings.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I know that going from Win 7 to Win 10 drastically reduced the ways the Start menu could be customised but are you saying that going from Win 10 to Win 11 reduces the customisation options even further?

And that's progress??

Ken