Form or Template

jstevens
GoldLounger

Form or Template

Post by jstevens »

I have a preprinted form on an odd size paper stock (similar to a certificate). There are approximately two dozen blank areas that need to be filled in and was wondering what the best approach would be to develop a form or template that one could tab through to enter the appropriate information.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Regards,
John

HansV
Administrator

Re: Form or Template

Post by HansV »

See Create forms that users complete or print in Word.
Use legacy form fields, and when you're done, select File > Options > Advanced. In the section 'When printing this document', tick the check box 'Print only the data from a form', then click OK.
Best wishes,
Hans

jstevens
GoldLounger

Post by jstevens »

Hans,

Thanks for the link.

One additional question: Is it possible to enter a numeric value in a data entry box and have it return as an example the 1st or 18th? Note that the "st or th" appears after the value entered.
Regards,
John

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

One way is to use a macro.
When you double-click a legacy text form field (while the document is unprotected), Word will display the Text Form Field Options dialog. You can specify a macro to be run when the user exits the form field.

S1055.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

jstevens
GoldLounger

Post by jstevens »

When testing the tab feature I am encountering an odd behavior where I tab from a text field into a date picker. Select the appropriate date and then tab once again. I would expect the tab to land on another text field but skips it and tabs into another date picker.

From what I can tell the bookmark sequence is correct.

Your suggestions are appreciated.
Regards,
John

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

Since there is no date picker among the legacy form fields, I guess you're using a date picker content control. Legacy form fields and content controls don't coexist very well, and this matter of tabbing is one of the problem areas.

If you weren't dealing with preprinted forms, you could replace all the legacy fields with equivalent content controls. The formfields' exit macro would have to be replaced by a Document_ContentControlOnExit handler, and the forms protection should be replaced by grouping. Unfortunately, though, there's no equivalent for content controls of the "print only the data" option.

The only solution I think you can use is to replace the date picker content controls with text form fields to be filled manually. If you're willing to search the 'Net, I think you can find a macro-driven userform that's equivalent to a date picker and will insert the chosen date into the text field that has focus.

jstevens
GoldLounger

Post by jstevens »

Thanks Jay!
Regards,
John

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

John, you are, no doubt, aware that ordinal numbers take their suffix letters from the last two letters of their words: first = 1st; second = 2nd; third = 3rd . . . .

You could set up a table to convert numbers to the ordinal words with their last 2 letters separated. It might require a bit of VBA
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Charles Kenyon
4StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

Here is the part of my page on Forms dealing with filling in pre-printed forms.
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/fo ... re-Printed

This is an extreme challenge to do with any word processing program. Word is no exception. You will keep more of your hair if instead you try to either scan the form and use the scanned image as a background for Word fields or reproduce the form from scratch. Otherwise, what you will want to do is either create a (borderless) table that has spaces for your fields that match where your fields are on the paper or insert frames to hold the fields. In either case, if you change the printer (or even the printer driver) you may need to reform your page.

To print on the preprinted form using a scanned image that will not be printed as background, start by positioning the image in the page as a floating picture. Print this on your form and adjust until the printing lines up perfectly with the preprinted form. Then position your fields on the form. If using Content Controls, when you print, make sure that the option to print images or drawings is turned off. If using legacy form controls you can use the option to print data only.

You will be money ahead (assuming your time is worth at least minimum wage) buying a top-of-the-line typewriter and typing these by hand rather than trying to print them using a Word Processor.

Another good alternative is to scan the form and use it as the basis for an Adobe Acrobat form. This is not a Word function but is done relatively easily using Adobe software. (It does require the full Adobe Acrobat program, not just the free reader.)

As of the beginning of 2018, Adobe Acrobat 8.0 Pro is available for free download from Adobe. While this is older software, it will handle this function.

jstevens
GoldLounger

Post by jstevens »

Thanks Charles!

I was leaning to that direction.
Regards,
John

jstevens
GoldLounger

Post by jstevens »

Based on Charles' suggestion I found this online and it works very nicely.
Regards,
John

jstevens
GoldLounger

Post by jstevens »

Is it possible to nudge the legacy form fields? I need to move some a tad bit up/down.
Regards,
John

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Select a legacy form field.
Press Ctrl+D to activate the Font dialog.
Activate the Advanced tab.
Select Raised or Lowered from the Position drop-down and specify by how many points you want to move the control up/down, in multiples of 0.5 point.

S1105.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

jstevens
GoldLounger

Post by jstevens »

Thanks Hans!
Regards,
John