Gmail 2FA

Percy Vere
2StarLounger

Gmail 2FA

Post by Percy Vere »

Hello, Since the compulsory use of 2FA + or adding my Gmail email address to my Android SmartPhone, I get one of my attached images You will notice I have the box ticked in both but that does not stop them reappearing. I only use a Win10 laptop.
It starts with this image then the double one.

-
Capture.JPG
-
2FA.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards
Percy
Windows 10 Home 21H2

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Gmail 2FA

Post by StuartR »

What browser are you using? Is this logged in to your Google account? Do you clear cookies when you exit?

I always see the first of your images, but I only see the other two if I am trying to log in to Google from that browser window.
StuartR

Percy Vere
2StarLounger

Post by Percy Vere »

Hello StuartR, I am presently using G Chrome only because FF is causing my trouble.
I never sign out of any browser before closing it. I run Glary Utilities manually about once a week, which does not prevent the popup showing before or after cleaning.
Regards
Percy
Windows 10 Home 21H2

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Percy Vere wrote:
06 Jan 2022, 13:42
Hello, Since the compulsory use of 2FA...
I'm not 100% certain it is compulsory - is it?
Leif

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

According to Making sign-in safer and more convenient:
And because we know the best way to keep our users safe is to turn on our security protections by default, we have started to automatically configure our users’ accounts into a more secure state. By the end of 2021, we plan to auto-enroll an additional 150 million Google users in 2SV and require 2 million YouTube creators to turn it on.
(2SV = Two-Step Verification, Google's name for 2FA)
Best wishes,
Hans

Percy Vere
2StarLounger

Post by Percy Vere »

I have been looking in Google Community forum, could not find any info on 2SV or 2FA
I have also sent info to Google Help but don't expect a reply.
Being in a cantankerous mood, I accessed all Security Alerts from Google and marked them as SPAM.
Regards
Percy
Windows 10 Home 21H2

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I would try clearing all cookies, then log the browser into Google telling it to trust this browser in future, then close and reopen the browser window and see what happens.

I am assuming default browser configuration, and no browser extensions that provide additional security.
StuartR

Percy Vere
2StarLounger

Post by Percy Vere »

My default browser is currently G Chrome (it is working perfectly). The trouble started with the installed version of FF, so I removed it and downloaded the portable version. I sign in so it remembers my settings.
My FF addons are LastPass, Malwarebytes browser guard, and Privacy Badger. I use Glary Utilities once a week on average.

How do I do this 'log the browser into Google telling it to trust this browser in future'.
Regards
Percy
Windows 10 Home 21H2

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Percy Vere wrote:
07 Jan 2022, 10:27
My FF addons are LastPass, Malwarebytes browser guard, and Privacy Badger.
I don't know Privacy Badger, but a quick look at the website suggests that this could well be blocking some of the cookies that Google uses to keep track of you, and possibly causing this behaviour.
Percy Vere wrote:
07 Jan 2022, 10:27
How do I do this 'log the browser into Google telling it to trust this browser in future'.
Click the "Sign in" button on this screen.
Sign in.jpg
On the subsequent screens check the box to say don't ask again...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

Percy Vere
2StarLounger

Post by Percy Vere »

I only started using Privacy Badger 3 days ago, the problem I am facing has been occurring for longer.
-
The Sign In box is not clickable, only the Customise & Agree are clickable.
1.jpg
I also get this and have clicked it as it is on a few times.
pv1.png
Regards
Percy
Windows 10 Home 21H2

Percy Vere
2StarLounger

Post by Percy Vere »

Since my 07 Jan 2022, 10:27 post, I have been using my FF portables without any trouble
Regards
Percy
Windows 10 Home 21H2

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

After responding to this post I installed Privacy Badger, and it seems to work well, keeping out of the way and not causing a negative impact on any of the sites that I visit regularly.
StuartR

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

Hello StuartR, never got email notified of your post.
I knew not to use 2 Antivirus apps, seemingly, same goes for Addons.
I went to the FF Addons site and read about these:-
-
Privacy Badger, AdBlock Plus, AVG Online Security, Ublock Origin, MBAM Browser Guard & Winscribe Apps.
As I have Malwarebytes Pro, I use their Browser Guard.
So far all my problems have cleared.
If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have NO luck at all.
Windows 11 Home 23H2 Laptop

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I agree that one should limit the number of browser extensions, too many can become a problem. This is not the same issue as using 2 antivirus apps, which really is a bad idea.
StuartR

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

Having read the info regarding Privacy Badger, AdBlock Plus, AVG Online Security, Ublock Origin, MBAM Browser Guard & Winscribe Apps. Most of them do the same job or at least attempt to. I can post my findings if you want to read them.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Ted Myers wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 01:21
I can post my findings if you want to read them.
I always like to read what other people think of these tools
StuartR

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

Part 1
Privacy Badger
Privacy Badger automatically learns to block invisible trackers. Instead of keeping lists of what to block, Privacy Badger automatically discovers trackers based on their behavior.
Privacy Badger sends the Global Privacy Control signal to opt you out of data sharing and selling, and the Do Not Track signal to tell companies not to track you. If trackers ignore your wishes, Privacy Badger will learn to block them.
Besides automatic tracker blocking, Privacy Badger replaces potentially useful trackers (video players, comments widgets, etc.) with click-to-activate placeholders, and removes outgoing link click tracking on Facebook and Google, with more privacy protections on the way.
-
AdBlock Plus
✓ Block annoying ads and popups
✓ Block video ads on sites like YouTube
✓ Speed-up loading time on pages
✓ Reduce risk of "malvertising" infections
✓ Protect your privacy by stopping trackers from following your online activity
✓ Block social media icons tracking
The ad blocker's additional features enable you to easily support your favorite websites by whitelisting them, to add or create your own filters, and to block social media icons tracking.
Adblock Plus supports the Acceptable Ads initiative. Acceptable Ads are shown by default, which helps support websites that rely on advertising revenue but choose to only display nonintrusive ads. This can be disabled at any time for users who wish to block all ads. The initiative allows content producers to receive monetization for their work and helps create an environment of fairness and sustainability for user, advertiser, and others.
-
AVG Online Security
Browse without worry or fear with AVG in your corner: we’ll check every site you visit, from Facebook to your bank, to ensure nothing puts you or
your data at risk. We stop phishing attacks, show user reviews, and warn you if a site is deemed untrustworthy by our community of 400 million.
Main features:
Identifies and blocks phishing sites trying to steal your data
See how website has been rated by a growing community of 400 million Avast users
Easily check the rating of any website just by hovering over the link
Warns you when you’re visiting websites with bad reputations
Rate a website effortlessly, marking them with a thumbs up or a thumbs down, to help other users know where to avoid
If you have Avast Secure Browser installed, we’ll open it automatically when you shop or bank online to help protect your data
Blocks annoying tracking cookies that collect data on your browsing activities
What data we collect and send to our servers
URL - to check if the website is safe or not
user's feedback - to tell whether the site rating and classification you received are relevant
Usage data - To measure user’s behavior in UI and how user interacts with the extension
Internal extension identifier(GUID) - to distinguish unique malware hits, to measure product telemetry and calculate aggregated statistics
Information about device (Browser type, Operating System Version) - To obtain usage aggregated statistics
Country - to detect country specific malware campaigns, to measure product telemetry and calculate aggregated statistics
Status of AVG Antivirus - To be able to turn on Bank Mode on specific sites.

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

Part 2
AVG Online Security
Browse without worry or fear with AVG in your corner: we’ll check every site you visit, from Facebook to your bank, to ensure nothing puts you or your data at risk. We stop phishing attacks, show user reviews, and warn you if a site is deemed untrustworthy by our community of 400 million.
Main features:
Identifies and blocks phishing sites trying to steal your data
See how website has been rated by a growing community of 400 million Avast users
Easily check the rating of any website just by hovering over the link
Warns you when you’re visiting websites with bad reputations
Rate a website effortlessly, marking them with a thumbs up or a thumbs down, to help other users know where to avoid
If you have Avast Secure Browser installed, we’ll open it automatically when you shop or bank online to help protect your data
Blocks annoying tracking cookies that collect data on your browsing activities
What data we collect and send to our servers
URL - to check if the website is safe or not
user's feedback - to tell whether the site rating and classification you received are relevant
Usage data - To measure user’s behavior in UI and how user interacts with the extension
Internal extension identifier(GUID) - to distinguish unique malware hits, to measure product telemetry and calculate aggregated statistics
Information about device (Browser type, Operating System Version) - To obtain usage aggregated statistics
Country - to detect country specific malware campaigns, to measure product telemetry and calculate aggregated statistics
Status of AVG Antivirus - To be able to turn on Bank Mode on specific sites.
-
uBlock Origin
The popup panel: default mode the dashboard: stock filter lists the popup panel: default-deny mode the dashboard: settings the popup panel in Firefox Preview: default mode with more blocking options revealedThe unified logger tells you all that uBO is seeing and doing.
About this extension
uBlock Origin is not an "ad blocker", it's a wide-spectrum content blocker with CPU and memory efficiency as a primary feature.
Out of the box, uBO blocks ads, trackers, coin miners, popups, etc. through the following lists of filters, enabled by default:
- EasyList (ads)
- EasyPrivacy (tracking)
- Peter Lowe’s Ad server list (ads and tracking)
- Online Malicious URL Blocklist
- uBO's own lists
-
MBAM Browser Guard
About this extension
Malwarebytes Browser Guard gives you a safer and faster web browsing experience. It blocks malicious websites while filtering out annoying ads
and other unwanted content. In fact, you can browse up to four times faster.
It is the world’s first browser extension that can identify and block new fake tech support scams. And Malwarebytes Browser Guard crushes pop-ups, browser hijackers, and browser lockers with ease. We take on the bad guys, so you don’t have to.
Block ads & load pages faster.
Speeds up how fast web pages display by blocking ads and other unwanted content, providing a cleaner experience and increased bandwidth.
Puts the hurt on tech support scammers
Identifies and stops browser lockers, browser hijackers, and other scare tactics tech support scammers use to con you out of money.
Protects your privacy.
Blocks trackers that follow you around the Internet and target you with the same ads over and over again.
Stops malware in your browser.
Blocks web pages that contain malware, stops in-browser cryptojackers (unwanted cryptocurrency miners), and gives other malicious content the boot.
Features
• Advertising/tracker protection: Blocks third-party ads and trackers that monitor your online activity. The number of blocked ads & blocked trackers
for a website will show beside the Malwarebytes logo in your browser.
• Scam protection: Blocks online scams, including technical support scams, browser lockers, and phishing.
• Potentially unwanted program (PUP) protection: Blocks the downloading of potentially unwanted programs, including toolbars and pop-ups.
• Browser-level malware protection: Blocks malicious programs or code that can damage your system.
-
Windscribe
About this extension
Windscribe is a VPN desktop application and proxy browser extension that work together to block ads, trackers, restore access to blocked content and help you safeguard your privacy online. Free plan provides 10 GB of data per month (if you confirm your email address), and the Pro plan has unlimited data and access to servers in over 110 cities in 63 countries.
Stop tracking and browse privately
Governments block content based on your location. Corporations track and sell your personal data. Add Windscribe to your browser and take back control of your privacy.
Advanced Privacy Features
Windscribe is not just a proxy extension. It's a suite of privacy tools which include:
Ad + Tracker Blocking - Ads and trackers follow you around, waste your bandwidth and compromise your privacy. Windscribe will block all this crap.
Malware Blocking - Some sites distribute malware. We'll prevent you from ever ending up on those sites.
Social Blocking - Social networks are the biggest privacy invaders out there. Block their trackers.
Whitelisting - Our block lists are not one size fits all. Customize your experience.
Location API Spoofing - Sites can request your GPS location why bypasses most proxies and VPNs. Not with Windscribe.
WebRTC Blocking - Prevents WebRTC leaks that plague most proxy extensions and VPNs.
Timezone Spoofing - Sites can detect that your IP doesn't match your browser's time zone. This feature solves this problem.
Notification Blocking - Tired for sites asking you to send notifications? We are too. Enable this feature to never see those things again.
User Agent Spoofing - Helps combat browser fingerprinting
Cookie Monitoring - Leave nothing behind. This feature deletes 1st or 3rd party cookies when you close the tab.
Language Spoofing - This feature will spoof your browser's language settings to match the proxy location of your choice.
Unlock geo-restricted content
Windscribe VPN masks your IP address. This gives you unrestricted and private access to entertainment, news sites, and blocked content in over
63 different countries.
No identifying logs
Your privacy is a right. We don’t track you. We don't sell your data to marketers, or even share it with anyone. We don’t keep logs that can deanonymize you.
Go beyond basic VPN protection
For comprehensive privacy protection even outside of the browser, use our desktop VPN applications (they’re also free). Available for Windows, Mac and Linux. Did we mention mobile? Yeah, there's mobile apps too.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

StuartR wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 06:59
Ted Myers wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 01:21
I can post my findings if you want to read them.
I always like to read what other people think of these tools
Ted Myers wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 11:23
Part 1...
I think Stuart was suggesting he would like to know what you think...
Leif

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Leif wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 12:28
I think Stuart was suggesting he would like to know what you think...
I was hoping for a more personal description of how these things compare, rather than just seeing the product promotion material.
StuartR