Windows Explorer question

Jeff H
4StarLounger

Windows Explorer question

Post by Jeff H »

I got Win 11 on a new laptop. I notice that in the Windows Explorer folder drop down, no matter what's open, I get the same single item in the drop down. It's a D: drive that is not currently connected. Does anyone know how I can restore the directory tree that I used to see in that drop down?

- Jeff
Windows Explorer.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows Explorer question

Post by HansV »

The drop-down contains a list of typed paths. It is stored in the Windows registry, in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TypedPaths.
You can delete the entries in that registry key, then restart Windows Explorer. The old entry will then be gone.
I don't think you can make the drop-down display a folder tree.
Best wishes,
Hans

Jeff H
4StarLounger

Post by Jeff H »

Hmm. I'm wary of going into the registry, and if it won't restore the folder tree it doesn't really matter to me.

But, just checking ... I'm not wrong that File Explorer used to allow navigation via that drop down, am I? I often doubt my memory, but I'm pretty sure that was a handy feature.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm afraid I don't remember :gramps:
Best wishes,
Hans

Jeff H
4StarLounger

Post by Jeff H »

LOL. Well, Gramps to Gramps, I'm not going to worry about it. Thanks for remembering how the drop down works, though.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

HansV wrote:
29 Dec 2021, 16:33
The drop-down contains a list of typed paths.
I don't think you can make the drop-down display a folder tree.
I'm with Hans on this - and I don't recall there being a tree available there either.

If you click on "This PC" it should expand downwards and show your connected/mapped drives.
Leif

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

I've just looked at the Windows Explorer in Windows 7 and 10, and there's no tree in the dropdown. Only an unsorted list of paths.

Jeff H
4StarLounger

Post by Jeff H »

Mercy! I can't imagine what I was thinking of. I know there was something, somewhere. I just pulled out my Win10 laptop to check and you're all right (of course).

-sigh-

Jeff H
4StarLounger

Post by Jeff H »

:blush: The light has dawned. It's the Open dialog box that has the directory tree, not File Explorer.