Convert a PDF file to a JPEG File?

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Convert a PDF file to a JPEG File?

Post by hlewton »

A PDF file was sent to me and I'd like to convert it into a JPEG file so I can have photos printed from it. I tried printing the PDF file with the thought in mind of scanning that printed copy and saving it as a JPEG file but the PDF file prints out much to dark for that. The photo show up in the PDF file well enough but won't print out as I need it to. Is there a program, hopefully free ware, that can convert a PDF to a JPEG file?

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Re: Convert a PDF file to a JPEG File?

Post by hlewton »

I should mention that I have converted this PDF file to a JPEG file using a couple different methods like first making it a PNG file then converting that to a JPEG file. Also converting it directly from a PDF to a JPEG file using an online service and neither method made a printable copy of the photo. Maybe there is no way to do it from what I am starting with but was just hoping there may be some free ware that does a better job than what I have managed to do so far.
Regards,
hlewton

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

If you Google "convert pdf to jpg", you will find several sites that will do this online for free. I have no idea whether or not the result will be acceptable, but it won't cost anything to find out.
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

hlewton wrote:
18 Dec 2021, 17:28
A PDF file was sent to me and I'd like to convert it into a JPEG file so I can have photos printed from it... ...convert a PDF to a JPEG file?
I might be wrong but I think your question would be better stated as:
"I have a PDF file that contains photos, is there a way of extracting the photos, so that they can be more easily printed?"

If that is indeed what you are trying to do then try this idea:
1) open the PDF file in a PDF reader application
2) select a photo
3) copy the photo to the clipboard
4) open an image viewing application like IrfanView or Fastone Image Viewer
5) paste the contents of the clipboard into the image viewing application
6) using the editing features of the image viewing application to adjust the photo
7) saving the image in your preferred file format

Ken

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Rebel wrote:
18 Dec 2021, 18:50
If you Google "convert pdf to jpg", you will find several sites that will do this online for free. I have no idea whether or not the result will be acceptable, but it won't cost anything to find out.
Yes Thank you. I did that before posting and the results were not great. I tried a few different things and am really believing it is because of the PDF file I have to start with.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

stuck wrote:
18 Dec 2021, 20:07
hlewton wrote:
18 Dec 2021, 17:28
A PDF file was sent to me and I'd like to convert it into a JPEG file so I can have photos printed from it... ...convert a PDF to a JPEG file?
I might be wrong but I think your question would be better stated as:
"I have a PDF file that contains photos, is there a way of extracting the photos, so that they can be more easily printed?"

If that is indeed what you are trying to do then try this idea:
1) open the PDF file in a PDF reader application
2) select a photo
3) copy the photo to the clipboard
4) open an image viewing application like IrfanView or Fastone Image Viewer
5) paste the contents of the clipboard into the image viewing application
6) using the editing features of the image viewing application to adjust the photo
7) saving the image in your preferred file format

Ken
The entire PDF file is 1 photo but I appreciate your suggestion about editing the photo. I guess I was thinking that since it looked so good as a PDF file it didn't need editing. I'm going to see if I can get it to print out so it looks like a photo. Thank you.

Just wanted to note here that though this file came to me saying it is a PDF file I have opened it with the paid version of Corel PDF Fusion and the free version of Adobe Acrobat DC and neither of them will allow me to copy and paste the image. I am going to try to find and install Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, the free version if there is one and try it.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Well that was fruitless. I was already using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC so not sure why the shortcut said Adobe Acrobat DC.
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

hlewton wrote:
18 Dec 2021, 20:23
...neither of them will allow me to copy and paste the image...
In which case, it sounds like when the PDF was authored the option to 'prevent the copying of content' was enabled. If so, I fear that printing the PDF 'as is' will be as good as it gets.

Ken

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

stuck wrote:
18 Dec 2021, 20:37
hlewton wrote:
18 Dec 2021, 20:23
...neither of them will allow me to copy and paste the image...
In which case, it sounds like when the PDF was authored the option to 'prevent the copying of content' was enabled. If so, I fear that printing the PDF 'as is' will be as good as it gets.

Ken
It was an old article in our company's monthly magazine from around 40 years ago. I'm sure my friend that sent it to me scanned it to the PDF file and has no idea about how to prevent copying it.

Unfortunately he only checks his emails on rare occasions. However, I have asked him to try to re-scan it to a JPEG file. I guess I will have to wait until he sees my request and hopefully get that JPEG file then. I was just trying to get it to print a photo so I could display it on the wall of my computer room. Even using InfranView I cannot get a good enough file to print a photo from. I am going to keep trying though. Again, thanks for that suggestion.
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

hlewton wrote:
18 Dec 2021, 22:12
...asked him to try to re-scan it to a JPEG file...
You might want to ask him to ensure the JPEG file is saved at it's highest quality or you'll still struggle to get a decent print. Better still ask him to save it as a TIFF, which is a lossless format. Note too, if the source is a 40 year old magazine that doesn't sound like a very high quality starting point so unless the scan is done at a resolution greater than that of the hard copy you still probably struggle.

One last idea, if your friend is not that tech savvy, ask him if he can send you the original magazine so that you can control the scan and print process yourself.

Ken

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

stuck wrote:
19 Dec 2021, 13:03
hlewton wrote:
18 Dec 2021, 22:12
...asked him to try to re-scan it to a JPEG file...
You might want to ask him to ensure the JPEG file is saved at it's highest quality or you'll still struggle to get a decent print. Better still ask him to save it as a TIFF, which is a lossless format. Note too, if the source is a 40 year old magazine that doesn't sound like a very high quality starting point so unless the scan is done at a resolution greater than that of the hard copy you still probably struggle.

One last idea, if your friend is not that tech savvy, ask him if he can send you the original magazine so that you can control the scan and print process yourself.

Ken
Thank you for that information. I think I may have to call him since I still have not heard from him. I just don't think he reads his emails on a regular basis. I do appreciate your information. I may have underestimated the age too, it could be 45 years old, not sure.
Regards,
hlewton

jolas
3StarLounger

Post by jolas »

This program can save pdf as jpg.

https://www.naps2.com/

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

jolas wrote:
03 Feb 2022, 08:45
This program can save pdf as jpg.

https://www.naps2.com/
Thank you.
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

jolas wrote:
03 Feb 2022, 08:45
This program can save pdf as jpg...
The OP has already stated that he has tried several on-line converters and indicated that although they did the conversion the end result was not good enough for his purposes.

From that and subsequent posts, it seems the fundamental problem is that while the resolution / quality of the image is good enough to view on-screen it's not good enough to print as a photo. In other words, the only way the OP will get a hard copy that is as good as it can be is if he can obtain a high res. scan of the source material in a lossless file format like TIFF.

Ken

jolas
3StarLounger

Post by jolas »

Would you mind attaching the file here?

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I'm sorry, I just saw this. I can't post that file because it is a photo that includes many people from a class in school.
Regards,
hlewton

jolas
3StarLounger

Post by jolas »

I understand and I hope you can find a satisfactory solution.