logging in problems

aekyall1
NewLounger

logging in problems

Post by aekyall1 »

Hi - for some reason the lounge will not let me in using my usual username and password, so I've created a new username aekyall1 with my original password. Could someone see what my problem logging in is and whether it is at my end our the lounges please? Would like to continue to use my original username aekyall. Also, the lounge wouldn't let me contact the administrator saying that the page has been disabled?
Many thanks,
Keith

HansV
Administrator

Re: logging in problems

Post by HansV »

Hi Keith,

Have you tried clicking "I forgot my password" to be able to set a new one?
Best wishes,
Hans

aekyall1
NewLounger

Post by aekyall1 »

No I haven't. I'll do that now using my original login and see how it goes
Keith

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

HansV wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 22:32
Hi Keith,

Have you tried clicking "I forgot my password" to be able to set a new one?
Okay Hans, that seems to have worked and I'm now back in with my original username (which is associated with my original email address, not the one I used with aekyall1), but with a new password. Assume you'll now kill off my 'additional' account (aekyall1)? Thanks for help. Should have tried changing password before complicating matters!!
Keith
Regards,
Keith

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Welcome back!

You can keep the new account for if you're locked out from aekyall.
Best wishes,
Hans

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Okay. Thanks Hans. Hopefully it won't be required!!
Regards,
Keith

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

I have been suffering the same problem - password refused. After too many attempts, clicking the Board Administrator link generated "The Board Administrator link has been disabled"
Followed the suggestion about 'forgotten password' and was able to log in immediately.
Can I now reset my new password back to my original password?
Silverback

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes, you should be able to do that.

Several Loungers have reported login problems, and our server has been a bit wonky recently. Sorry about that!
Best wishes,
Hans

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

The lounge appeared to be down several days ago, for some hours. Later, when I accessed it, I'd been logged off - something which appears to be happening when there have been login problems. Before this, I hadn't seen the login problems for quite some time.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Sadly, we had some outages earlier this week. Our hosting company shut down our server for maintenance without telling us... :crazy:
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Add me to the list of those having login problems that started yesterday, 19 NOV 2021.

I had to create a new password to login.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Welcome back to you too, Bob!
Best wishes,
Hans

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Hi
You can add me to the list with a slight variation….

I noticed today by chance that I can’t log in manually on some ( most ) of my computers. I mean by manually that I fill in my Username and password myself. What happens if I do that is that it tells me I am using the wrong password.

On two computers I can log in, but on those the fields are filled in automatically, so I don’t have to write in the username or password. I did check in my settings what password is being filled in automatically on those two computers , and it is the same as I have been trying manually on the other computers. It is also the password I have always had at Eileen’s lounge and I have never changed it

I have not checked on those two computers yet if I can log in if I manually add the same password. I did not want to tempt fate in case that fails, and changes something, so that I can’t then log in on those computers either

For now I can get in on a couple of computers. I will leave it at that for now.

(One of those computers is my old Vista that I use most.
Incidentally, using my older vistas with an older Google Chrome Browser, I do find that it will not let me log in on another forum when, I can on all other forums. This time its the other way around.... ( and by the way, just in case it might be of significance, the quirks that started with this old Vista and old browser, which prevents me loggin in somewhere else, all started when the forum in question changed from http to https.) ( I often find that my older computers and Browsers react a bit differently when these sort of problems crop up. This time it appears they may be more likely to work when the more up to date ones aren't... ). )

Alan
I am having difficulty logging in with this account just now.
You can find me at DocAElstein also

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

On the two computers where you can't log in, you could try clicking on the "Delete cookies" link at the bottom of the lounge web page
StuartR

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Hi Stuart,
It's the other way around, - I can log in on two old Vista computers, ones I have used a lot before when logging into the Lounge, but i can't log in on any other computer, including a few new computers that I never logged into the Lounge with before...
Strange.
Possibly if I delete cookies or similar, then I, will never be able to log in ever again... I will experiment with that in a few days, but just now its useful to be able to log in, as I expect to be posting in the next few days...

( I know this next story is going to sound totally unbelievable to someone who knows about computers and internet.. but.. a couple of years back.. there was a problem with the file sharing place , box.com - according to reports on the internet, no one could access it for a couple of days. I could… on just one of my old Vista machines… ).

Alan

p45cal
2StarLounger

Post by p45cal »

Same as Doc.AElstein here.
Usually I'm 'remembered' between visits (unless I've shut the browswer down when cookies are cleared).
Now when I click on a bookmark it initially shows as my being logged in, but as soon as I try to reply in a thread it tells me I need to Login!
When I try to, it tells me I've got the password wrong.
I tried using my bookmark again in a fresh tab in the browser (firefox) and it shows I'm logged in! So I log out formally and try to login again. It won't let me get in at all now, not even the bookmark in the browser works any more.
I cleared all cookies associated with eileenslounge.com - still no joy.
So I request a password reset. It sends me an email, I reset the password which seems to go as it should. Still can't login! Old password or new password.
So I register under a new username (p45cal2) and I can login and post (pending moderation).
Then I logout.
Out of curiosity I try to login using old username; this fails with the reset password, but works with my old password!... aaaagh.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It's a very annoying problem! Unfortunately, we have no idea what causes it... :sad:
Best wishes,
Hans

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

p45cal wrote:
21 Nov 2021, 23:59
So I register under a new username (p45cal2) and I can login and post (pending moderation).
Then I logout.
Out of curiosity I try to login using old username; this fails with the reset password, but works with my old password!... aaaagh.
I had a similar experience with the password for my security cameras working over P2P internet. Suddenly my password stopped working. I wasted a month trying to get help from the companies support, ( that is run by a foreign call centre that understand no English, understand no German, and are just like trained monkeys that look for certain words in a help request and then hit a button for a pre prepared reply).
By chance I found a solution that always works is to reset the password , but to then use very quickly after that the old password. A bullet proof solution I found is always to use the same password: (The software there lets me reset to the same password.) I have’nt tried that yet here, and I won’t either until I have to. I am still getting automatically logged in on two older computers, including the old Vista I use the most, so I won’t tempt fate just yet.

Edit: spoke too soon....
It may not be too long until I have to try something. Currently I am on my mostly used old Vista computer. As you see all is well.

I just tried my second computer on which I could still log in with yesterday. I was logged in on that as well yesterday and any attempt to log in worked. Its not working now. When i try to log in, the fields are filled in automatically, as they always have been, and as always had worked. Today its not working. So I am now down to just one computer that I can log in on.....

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Hi
I wasn’t able to log in for a few days. I didn’t need to post so I just ignored it, I thought it might sort itself out- it seems to have done, here I am, since this morning, logged in, :)

Up until about last Tuesday mid morning the situation was as I reported previously : - That being that I could only log in on one old Vista machine, - by a lucky coincidence my main machine , at least the main one I use to access the Lounge.
I had a quick look around a selection of my other machines and the situation was the same, so I could not log in anywhere.
Very strangely at around midday Tuesday I could log in on just one other Vista machine, that being the second of the only two machines that I could log in as I reported here and here . But that did not last long and after a while I could not log in on that either. Some times Tuesday afternoon , I could no longer log in on that Vista machine either.

Over the last few days when around various computers I checked occasionally, and the situation remained that I could not log in anywhere.
As I powered my Main Vista machine this morning and checked up on the Lounge I was logged in automatically. I just had a quick look around other machines and I can’t log in on any of those.

Its no big problem, I expect I will always find a way to log in.
I just thought I would mention it in passing.
( I didn’t try yet any of the things discussed in this Thread so far, like re setting the password or making a new account, since I did not need to log in.
Maybe I will try them things in the future if I need to.)

Alan

DocAElstein
4StarLounger

Post by DocAElstein »

Hello….
So I am no longer able to log in with my account on my main Vista machine.

What actually happened was that I logged out, and then could not log in again. I had purposely avoided logging out as I was automatically logged in and did not want to risk doing anything that might upset that. But today I was logged in to a few forums simultaneously, wanted to log out of one of them, got distracted, when I came back I was careless and logged out of the wrong forum by mistake, Eileen’s lounge

At the last stand I was also still logged in automatically on just one other old Vista machine. I just checked and I can get in on that still. But that is fixed in a shed I only use in the summer when outside building. I don’t use that in Winter.

One interesting thing: So I created a new account with a slightly different name. Just for fun, I deliberately used the same previous password.
If I now try to log in on any machine on any browser, it still offers to log me in automatically and fills in the ( old ) name and the password. If I simply change the name but leave the password then all is well and I am logged in.
If I ignore the offered logging in and type everthing fresh ( using the new account name ) , and the password, then that also works
So that password is accepted both manually given and from however it is still, and has been filled in automatically for years.
But it wont get me in with my previous account.
It’s all a bit absurd, but then so is Einstein’s Relativity Theory. Just have to accept it I suppose, (like he did back then when I told him about it).
:)

( Alan )
I seriously don’t ever try to annoy. Maybe I am just the kid that missed being told about the King’s new magic suit, :(