cause of upside-down text in web pages?

HansV
Administrator

Re: cause of upside-down text in web pages?

Post by HansV »

It's another 8 months later. New user fixgyua sent a suggestion.
Select Tools > Settings in Firefox.
Select General in the navigation pane.
Under Fonts and Colors, in the Language and Appearance section, click Advanced...

S0489.png

If the check box 'Allow pages to choose their own fonts' is ticked, Google News should display OK. If it is clear, you'll get the weird effects described in the first post.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

workingman
NewLounger

Post by workingman »

I have the same issue in all three browsers: Firefox, Chrome, Edge. Same as pictured in screen shots above: "keyboard_arrow_up" appears right side up and upside down. This on my laptop computer running Windows 10. All browsers updated. Caches cleared. Internet connection good. Problem persists.

Google News home page only partially loads, showing the first few news stories, then blank after that. The spinner continually spins. Also, in any of these three browsers, when I click a news story, a new tab opens but that page (where the news story would normally appear) remains blank and the spinner continually spins.

At the Google home page, in any of these three browsers, I am unable to log into my Google account. Nothing happens after I enter my email address and click "next." I am able to log into my Google account using my iPad.

All other web pages in all three browsers work fine.
Last edited by workingman on 23 Oct 2021, 02:29, edited 4 times in total.

workingman
NewLounger

Post by workingman »

Inexplicably, the issue seems to have resolved itself in all three browsers.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge!

All's well that ends well!
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Clearly the magic of Eileen's Lounge is working for you
StuartR

workingman
NewLounger

Post by workingman »

I stumbled onto something that may be the solution. I sometimes use a VPN and have noticed this Google upside down arrow issue sometimes appears when the VPN is on. I can turn it off and Google works fine. It's quirky. Sometimes Google works fine with VPN. Other times not. Most recently, it was not working. I turned off VPN for must a moment, refreshed Google News and turned VPN back on. Now Google is working fine. I'm not going to troubleshoot this further. Just happy to get Google News working again, even if it involves a couple extra mouse clicks.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

workingman wrote:
06 Nov 2021, 11:29
... I sometimes use a VPN and have noticed this Google upside down arrow issue ...
Hi workingman. I have read your recent update posts with interest.
The upside-down problem has not been seen for some time now. I have moved to a different laptop and Win version {Acer Travelmate and Win10) whereas my problem two years ago occurred on the Toshiba/Win7.

For what it is worth, I have never used a VPN, whatever that is.
Cheers
Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace