Academic question on Broken References

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Academic question on Broken References

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Selenium011.png
Whoop-de-doo! I had two clear runs of the first filter on my web scraping project on this, my primary (R&D) laptop today.
That meant that tho job (Word2003/VBA) was ready to be ported to the second laptop. I have a third laptop and will set up a stream of work being fed from one laptop to another, a production line of data processing. I get a job working on this machine, then memory-key the template to the second machine and start R&D on the next filter.

I had previously made Restore Points, backed up my data partition, then copied my data partition to the other two machines which, although Win7, are now a very close copy of the data partition on the main machine. In other words, anything that is visible on this main machine is available and visible on the other two machines. They are not clones, but are as close as I can make them. (They have different AutoExec.bat files for one thing!)

Of course, nothing ever works the first time, and I found that I had to hook up my UW.dot utility library AND the RegEx library, before the program would run, but then, run it did!, so a small hurdle, and I am in business on two machines; tomorrow the third machine.

Question 1 :Why was it necessary to hook up two of my references but not the first five?
Question 2 :Why was it necessary to hook up my UW.dot? It is in the same place on my data partition, "T:\Greaves\Startup\Word".
Question 3 :Why was it necessary to hook up one MSoft library(VBScript), but not the others (VBApplications, Office11, Word11)? These are, I would suppose, all in the same place on the C: drive, or have visible pointers to themselves via the registry or whatever. (I hope we don't get into early/late binding again :flee:)

Thanks for any lay-man's terms. This is not a big deal; I just couldn't come up with an idea of why two out of the seven references are broken. I may learn more tomorrow when I port to the third machine.

Cheers
Chris :scratch:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Re: Academic question on Broken References

Post by HansV »

The Microsoft Word n.0 Object Library, Visual Basic for Applications library and OLE Automation will always be present and Word will always be able to find them (unless your Office installation is messed up completely). You never have to do anything with them, even between different versions of Office.

The Microsoft Office n.0 Object Library will be found on computers with the same or newer version of Office. It might cause a problem if you open the dovument on a computer with an older version of Office.

UW.dot and Microsoft VBScript Regular Expressions 5.5 are NOT native Office libraries, Even if they are in the same path, the Visual Basic Editor will have to re-establish the reference.

I don't know why the Selenium Type Library didn't have to be re-established.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Academic question on Broken References

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 19:46
The Microsoft Word n.0 Object Library, Visual Basic for Applications library and OLE Automation will always be present ... UW.dot and Microsoft VBScript Regular Expressions 5.5 are NOT native Office libraries, ...
Thank you Hans; that makes sense to me.
Office knows about office links, but Office doesn't know about non-Office links.
I don't know why the Selenium Type Library didn't have to be re-established.
From time to time Selenium shows great brilliance at being seamless. Then something, and it might be Selenium, stumbles into exotic Run Time Errors!

Cheers
Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle