Default Apps for Opening Files in Windows 10

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Default Apps for Opening Files in Windows 10

Post by hlewton »

I have an app that I accidentally assigned a default program to that cannot open it. Actually, I have no app on this machine that can open it but I need to have it remain on this computer. I managed to change that default app but only to Notebook which can’t open it either. When I right clicked it and choose Properties and then tried to change the "Opens With" option I couldn’t choose “Nothing Will Open It” or something like that. Is there a way to tell it there is no program available that will open this file?

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Default Apps for Opening Files in Windows 10

Post by HansV »

To remove a default app would probably require extensive editing of the registry. I'd leave it as it is.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

OK I was thinking that would be the case. I wish I could get the app for this file back on my machine. I paid for a lifetime subscription for it and then the company went out of business and it takes WEB access to activate the program.
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

What would happen if you uninstall the program the app is currently associated with and then reinstalled it? I don't know if this would work, but it might be worth a try. If it doesn't work then you could try running a registry cleaner (such as the option in ccleaner) in between the uninstall and reinstall.
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
11 Sep 2021, 08:55
What would happen if you uninstall the program the app is currently associated with and then reinstalled it? I don't know if this would work, but it might be worth a try. If it doesn't work then you could try running a registry cleaner (such as the option in ccleaner) in between the uninstall and reinstall.
I paid a company called Radium Technologies for 6 lifetime licensees (3 each for two versions) of a program called Living Cookbook. They went out of business very abruptly without advising their customers like me. These licensees were transferable.

When I got this computer to replace one that had failed I tried everything I could think of to install the program on this computer because I do still have the license keys it takes to activate it. However, since the company no longer exists there is no way the license can be verified and activated. I found, I believe, the founder of that company and sent an email asking him since he designed the program if he could give me a way to activate the program. I never got a response and I know I had the right fellow because he was associated with the company. I even asked on one forum I belong to, not sure if it was here or not, if there was any way, legally of course, to break the need for Internet activation.

So long story short, and I do know it is too late for that, I never had the program on this machine but I send the updated file from another machine to here so I can then transfer it to my external storage drives which are attached to this computer.
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

You can associate that extension with ANY program on your computer, then uninstall the program, run your registry cleaner, and reinstall the program
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
11 Sep 2021, 15:11
You can associate that extension with ANY program on your computer, then uninstall the program, run your registry cleaner, and reinstall the program
OK, thanks for that information.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

See if this program helps - Living Cookbook Rescue.

Not free but pretty inexpensive
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 03:52

Thank you Joe. I will definitely look into it.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 03:52

When I could no longer install Living Cookbook I looked around for another program that would save my recipes. I still had Living Cookbook installed and working on two other computers so I did have usable backups on those machines. I found MasterCook and after getting instructions from a very helpful person their I bought it. She then took my Living Cookbook files and imported everything into MastrerCook. By the way it is one of the programs listed in your link. Thanks again for your help.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
11 Sep 2021, 15:11
I have looked around and didn't find anything on my computer that I wanted to use. I do not have the browser named Opera on my machine. I know you said ANY program but I'm wondering if that would include a browser. Do you think that would do the job if I installed it to use and then delete it?
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

hlewton wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 14:05
I know you said ANY program but I'm wondering if that would include a browser. Do you think that would do the job if I installed it to use and then delete it?
Yes, I genuinely did mean ANY program
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 17:37
hlewton wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 14:05
I know you said ANY program but I'm wondering if that would include a browser. Do you think that would do the job if I installed it to use and then delete it?
Yes, I genuinely did mean ANY program
OK, thanks
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Well that did not work. I associated it with Opera and then deleted Opera. It reverted back to MasterCook which is the program I accidentally associated it with in the first place.
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Ah well, another idea bites the dust. Sorry. That leaves regedit, or live with it.
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 21:41
Ah well, another idea bites the dust. Sorry. That leaves regedit, or live with it.
LOL, I'm going to live with it since I don't want to mess it up or know what to edit in the Registry. Thanks again.
Regards,
hlewton

jolas
3StarLounger

Post by jolas »

Living Cookbook seems to be back.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

jolas wrote:
16 Sep 2021, 06:28
Living Cookbook seems to be back.
Thanks for the link and I do hope it will be operational soon. At least it looks hopeful. However, every thing I click on there gives me the error that can be seen in the attachment below.
LivingCookBook.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The link works for me...
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator