Differentiate between "character" and "hyperlinked character" in a string in MSWord(2003)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Differentiate between "character" and "hyperlinked character" in a string in MSWord(2003)

Post by ChrisGreaves »

13c and my brain has frozen.

I am parsing strings of characters; some are just plain old characters, while some are characters with a hyperlink.
The attached document holds such a string within a table cell.
Each character represents a "command", and I have to process each such command, hence in my document, there are six commands, two of which are hyperlinked ("B" and "C").
The VBA code works:-

Code: Select all

Sub test()
    Dim rng As Range
    Set rng = ThisDocument.Tables(1).Rows(1).Cells(1).Range
    Dim lng As Long
    For lng = 1 To rng.Characters.Count
        If rng.Characters(lng).Hyperlinks.Count = 0 Then
            Debug.Print "plain character " & rng.Characters(lng)
        Else
            Debug.Print rng.Characters(lng).Hyperlinks(1).TextToDisplay & rng.Characters(lng).Hyperlinks(1).Address
        End If
    Next lng
End Sub
but I wonder if there is a neater/cleaner way of getting the job done than "rng.Characters(lng)"

rng.Characters" was just my first thought.
There is no multi-million dollar contract riding on this; I am aware that my old FORTRAN skills are showing up, yet again.
Thanks
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I don’t remember being born, and I won’t remember dying

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Re: Differentiate between "character" and "hyperlinked character" in a string in MSWord(2003)

Post by Jay Freedman »

If all you're interested in is the hyperlinks, not the other characters, this is simpler:

Code: Select all

Sub test2()
    Dim rng As Range
    Dim hl As Hyperlink
    Set rng = ThisDocument.Tables(1).Rows(1).Cells(1).Range
    For Each hl In rng.Hyperlinks
        Debug.Print hl.TextToDisplay & " " & hl.Address
    Next hl
End Sub

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Differentiate between "character" and "hyperlinked character" in a string in MSWord(2003)

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Jay Freedman wrote:
02 Sep 2021, 18:07
If all you're interested in is the hyperlinks, not the other characters, this is simpler:
Jay, thanks for this, but I have to process each symbol/character one by one, and every symbol counts.
The cell strings are commands in a Turing Machine; I decided to allow inline subroutines, hence the hyperlinks associated with a character.
At least now I can qualify as a professional programmer ("If it is working, then fix it or enhance i't).

The code works fine, but I know that my old-style programming often tends to ignore more elegant, modern techniques.
Thanks again
Chris
I don’t remember being born, and I won’t remember dying