Setting up a new computer

Jeff H
4StarLounger

Setting up a new computer

Post by Jeff H »

I'm not sure this is the right forum to post this question in, but if not please move it.

I hate getting a new computer, but it’s time. My old Surface Book is in bad shape. I hoping someone here can give me a relatively simple way to get everything I use from the old computer to a new one.

I do have Macrium Reflect, which I use for folder/file backup. I’ve never done an image or clone before, though, and I’m not even sure that's what I need to use now. I want to get all my programs loaded and then I assume I can restore my folders and files with Macrium. I do use One Drive for the vast majority of my files, but I assume that once I get the new laptop setup I can re-sync with One Drive.

Anyway, any advice is welcome.

Thanks,
- Jeff

Jeff H
4StarLounger

Re: Setting up a new computer

Post by Jeff H »

Hmm. I can't remember ever having gotten no responses on this forum. Perhaps I'm asking the wrong question. I think the cause of my dread of getting a new computer is mainly how to transfer all my apps. Could anyone help me out with that?

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Transferring all your apps from one computer to another is not a simple process Jeff. Typically you need to reinstall each app on the new computer, and then sort out the licencing. Some apps allow you to unregister the license on the old computer and then apply it to the new one. Others can simply be installed and used. Some apps aren't transferrable and you would need to buy new licenses.

Then there is app configuration information, which may be transferrable, but every app does this differently.

Start by making a list of every application that you have installed on the old computer, and then research each one to find out what your options are.
StuartR

Jeff H
4StarLounger

Post by Jeff H »

Ugh. This is what I thought and it's how I've done it in the past. But hope springs eternal! Anyway, thanks very much for confirming the bad news. Now I can just get on with it and quit moping. :sad:

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Check out Laplink's PCmover. It is NOT free. It has been around for quite a while. I can't vouch for its efficacy.

NOTE: if you decide to buy I'm sure you can find it for a lower price than on the Laplink site.
Joe

Jeff H
4StarLounger

Post by Jeff H »

Thanks Joe. I'll take a look.

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

I have had a few computers in my day. Everything that I had on them were stored on 3, now 4 external hard drives. That way, I never lost anything.
If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have NO luck at all.
Windows 11 Home 23H2 Laptop

Jeff H
4StarLounger

Post by Jeff H »

Excellent, Ted. Does that mean you have a way to use the external drives to transfer all your apps, instead of having to do it manually as Stuart explained?

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

Much as I hate laboriously reinstalling programs on a new computer, it's a dandy way to leave behind the accumulation of bits of programs and files laying around the computer, as well as jettison any program that's are no longer in service.

Having said that, you can create an image with Macrium Reflect, which is the only way I can think of to transfer everything. Programs like LapLink give you a lot more options and don't overwrite the new operating system (according to their website). However, as Stuart pointed out, not all programs are created equal, so even with the magic of LapLink, you may still need to reregister. Some programs are tied to the particular hardware you had and I'm not sure if LapLink has a solution for that.

I've never used MR to restore an image so I'm not comfortable giving you advice about it, but I'm sure there's plenty of wisdom and caveats out there on the Interwebs.

Best of luck, Kim
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.

Jeff H
4StarLounger

Post by Jeff H »

Wise words, Kim. It's true. With my files, I typically stick things here and there for convenience, then end up having duplicates and a hard time finding some stuff. With my apps, I'll try something and usually delete it right away if I don't like it, but sometimes I don't and other times I think "well maybe someday I'll use it". Even with apps I like, I forget about them until I need them, to the point that I don't have a clear idea of what I've got. It makes good sense to embrace this opportunity to clean house.

- Jeff

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

Jeff H wrote:
31 Aug 2021, 15:58
Excellent, Ted. Does that mean you have a way to use the external drives to transfer all your apps, instead of having to do it manually as Stuart explained?
I store Documents & Pictures & urls, email & password used for anything I need another copy of.

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

If I lose anything, I just connect the ext. HDD and replace a copy. Sorry for the late reply as I'm not getting email notified.

Jeff H
4StarLounger

Post by Jeff H »

Thanks for the follow-up Ted. Actually, I don't have a problem with file backup. The annoyance for me is reinstalling the apps and reconfiguring the settings. But I've come to believe that imaging and cloning are beyond my skill level and probably wouldn't do all I would like them to anyway.

BTW, here's a general question since Ted has resurrected this thread. I'm considering a Dell XPS 13" 2-in-1 to replace my Surface Book 1 from 2015. Anyone have any bad experiences or better suggestions to share?

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

All I've had is XP professional, Vista for a very very short time, skipped Win 8 altogether, Win7 Home Prem 32bit and now Win TEN.
When I was installing a new app,I would make a system image with Acronis first, install it and set it up, then use Revouninstaller to remove it. I might do this 2 or 3 times for practice makes perfect (sometime) then do a system restore with Acronis then finally install whatever I was using.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Jeff H wrote:
18 Sep 2021, 15:46
I'm considering a Dell XPS 13" 2-in-1 to replace my Surface Book 1 from 2015. Anyone have any bad experiences or better suggestions to share?
I don't myself (I have the laptop version), but a friend of mine recently bought the 2-in-1 version, and he's very satisfied with it.
Best wishes,
Hans