a summer's day

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

a summer's day

Post by stuck »

At Fewston reservoir.

Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: a summer's day

Post by HansV »

Wonderful!
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 18:40
At Fewston reservoir.
Hi Ken, it sure looks nice, but I bet that the temperature wasn't 10c. at 1600 local time :flee: :flee:
(Not that I am blubbering ...)
Cheers
Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Not sure of the exact temp, probably around 28degC in the shade. Fortunately most of the path around the water was in shade. We enjoyed what was billed as a 'medium' sized ice cream, but seemed quite large, on our return to the car park.

The water temp. was probably only about 10degC. Despite that AND signs every few metres saying no swimming AND the local news reporting that four young people have drowned in open water in the Yorkshire area in the last week, there were people in the water.

Ken

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

HansV wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 19:04
Wonderful!
:yep: light years ahead of working, even working from home.

Ken

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

stuck wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 19:31
HansV wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 19:04
Wonderful!
:yep: light years ahead of working, even working from home.

Ken
... and you can't see the stitching :laugh:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 19:29
...The water temp. was probably only about 10degC. Despite that AND signs every few metres saying no swimming AND the local news reporting that four young people have drowned in open water in the Yorkshire area in the last week, there were people in the water.
And in this morning's news 'Teenager pulled from Lough Sheelin dies in hospital"

I am reminded of the warnings in my childhood years (10-20) of swimming in farmer's dams.
In the wheatbelt of WA dams were scooped out of the earth by bulldozers or, often enough, by tractor-drawn scoops. The area (from memory) was about a hundred feet on a side and they were, I suppose, twenty feet deep. Rainfall was channeled into the dam from the surrounding flat land; they must have been carefully planned to maximize what run-off there was.

We were told stories of kids our age drowning, but details were scarce, and to this day I don't know whether only one kid died, ever, or whether we succumbed at the rate of one or two a year.

My guess is that a young body would go into shock if it plunged much below a three-foot depth. The water was calm and would separate into a chilled layer with a thin sun-warmed layer on top. I suppose too that teenagers being dare-devils would show off, and all this, perhaps, after a hearty hot lunch, and perhaps fully-clothed.

There is an image of such a catchment as Plate 7 in this report

Your Fewston reservoir appears as a long thin body of water; ideal perhaps for layering and hence drowning from temperature-shock.

I should add that until the late sixties, when towns along the Great Eastern Highway built swimming-pools, few children in the wheatbelt could swim. After all, where would/could you learn to swim?

Cheers
Chris

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Fewston Reservoir is not far from Otley in Wharfedale.

One of my mother's sisters married an English soldier after the Second World War. They spent most of their married life near London, but eventually settled in Otley. After her husband died, my father traveled to England to visit her. By that time, she had lived in England for more than 50 years. My father couldn't immediately find the address where she lived, so he asked in a local shop. At first, they didn't understand, but then it dawned: "Oo, the Dootch 'ooman!"
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 11:13
My guess is that a young body would go into shock if it plunged much below a three-foot depth. The water was calm and would separate into a chilled layer with a thin sun-warmed layer on top. I suppose too that teenagers being dare-devils would show off, and all this, perhaps, after a hearty hot lunch, and perhaps fully-clothed...
Yes, the natural shock reaction of jumping (it's known as 'tombstoning' for a reason) into what is very cold water, despite the heat of the air, makes a body of any age breath in and /or makes the muscles go into spasm. It's difficult to swim to safety when you've got a lung full of water and /or your muscles don't work and the result is tragedy. Alternatively, the shallow water at the edge, which does warm up, gives a false sense of security but not far from the shore, the cold kicks in and again muscles lock up and the result is tragedy.

Apparently still waters also conceal dangerous undercurrents and...

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 11:47
Apparently still waters also conceal dangerous undercurrents and...
... typos, probably caused by dictation-by-phone during lockdown:-
Water deaths: Public warned of 'hidden dangers' in lakes and rivers " ... He said the increased popularity of open water swimming has seen many people swimming longer distances and he called on people to make sure they are visible in the sea by wearing a cap and a toe-float"

I have found one, and stopped wondering if I should order another nine. The answer? "Nein". toe-float
Cheers
Chris