Using Ccleaner in Windows 10

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Using Ccleaner in Windows 10

Post by hlewton »

I have used Ccleaner for a long time and have run into this problem before but often it eventually goes away. This time it didn't.

I have always run Ccleaner's Registry cleaner as many times as it takes to have it display no issues. No matter how many times I run it there is one issue that keeps displaying even though I have chosen to remove it. It can be seen in the attachment. Why does it keep coming back and how do I remove it?

I have tried searching the Registry and found a lot of instances of the SpeechRuntime.exe in a locations named LocalServer32 so I have no idea which instance, if any, should be deleted.
Ccleaner.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Using Ccleaner in Windows 10

Post by HansV »

The same happened to me. In the end, I right-clicked the item and told CCleaner to exclude (ignore) it, so that it won't be listed anymore.
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

How I learned to stop worrying (about dust in the corners) and love the register (as it is).

I stay on the Cleaner tab. :smile:
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 15:24
The same happened to me. In the end, I right-clicked the item and told CCleaner to exclude (ignore) it, so that it won't be listed anymore.
Thanks. I'll give that a try
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I'm with Argus, I never use the reg. cleaner within Ccleaner.

Ken

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

stuck wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 07:03
I'm with Argus, I never use the reg. cleaner within Ccleaner.

Ken
Just curious, any particular reason for either of you to not use it?
Regards,
hlewton

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I do not use it either.
It is a waste time and effort to run ANY registry cleaner and they will remove entries that are not in use at the time but are needed later.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

DaveA wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 15:37
[...] ANY registry cleaner [...] will remove entries that are not in use at the time but are needed later.
I would suggest that your comment is a significant over-exaggeration! Suppose you ran Ccleaner to remove registry entries shortly after logging on. There might be very few programs left that could run later since they weren't already running!

A better way of looking at the matter is to ask yourself:

Q. Will doing nothing about any registry entry cause a problem?
A. No problem is likely.

Q. Will removing registry entries cause a problem?
A. Possibly, if too aggressive a removal has been performed.

Q. Will I save any disk space by removing registry entries?
A. You will probably just end up with some empty spaces embedded in the registry files. These files would need to be compressed to save any disk space. You probably now have a few TB (more or less) of disk space - will the odd hundred or thousand bytes supposedly 'saved' make any difference?

Wasn't all this talk of deleting 'unnecessary' registry entries becoming old hat well before the end of the last century?
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

hlewton wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 13:39
CCleaner's registry cleaner is a bit limited, no search functions etc., so it's pretty harmless compared to what was once around I think.

Still, I see no need to remove, for example, keys with unused file extensions or a bunch of application paths (often for installation files no longer used); there is plenty of space.

As Dave said. If you install a software suite, such as Office, it can happen that it creates keys with information about, for example, file extensions etc. that are not in use at the moment, but perhaps will be; usually they will be created when needed.

The above said, there have been rare occasions, a (very) long time ago, when using some odd software, that I had to use some search and clean function in a registry tool.
John Gray wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 16:05
Wasn't all this talk of deleting 'unnecessary' registry entries becoming old hat well before the end of the last century?
From another thread:
Argus wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 21:42
In previous versions of the Lounge we have seen some discussions about registry cleaning, going as far back as to the Win9X/NT era (at times depending on loungers present :grin: it was a sure way to get a heated discussion; another topic would be all things related to page file, discussions could go on; a slightly older Lounge might now respond with "meh". :laugh:)
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Argus wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 16:40
hlewton wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 13:39
CCleaner's registry cleaner is a bit limited, no search functions etc., so it's pretty harmless compared to what was once around I think.

Still, I see no need to remove, for example, keys with unused file extensions or a bunch of application paths (often for installation files no longer used); there is plenty of space.

As Dave said. If you install a software suite, such as Office, it can happen that it creates keys with information about, for example, file extensions etc. that are not in use at the moment, but perhaps will be; usually they will be created when needed.

The above said, there have been rare occasions, a (very) long time ago, when using some odd software, that I had to use some search and clean function in a registry tool.
John Gray wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 16:05
From another thread:
Argus wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 21:42
In previous versions of the Lounge we have seen some discussions about registry cleaning, going as far back as to the Win9X/NT era (at times depending on loungers present :grin: it was a sure way to get a heated discussion; another topic would be all things related to page file, discussions could go on; a slightly older Lounge might now respond with "meh". :laugh:)
Thank you for the reply.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I gave up on registry cleaning with XP. Along the way, Microsoft has changed the way the registry is stored and processed. Unused items are no longer a drag on booting the system (and haven't been for a long time). Aggressive registry cleaning can easily cause more harm than good by deleting a needed entry and rendering an app unusable. In extreme instances perhaps making the system unstable.

The only time I even consider registry cleaning these days is when a system is severely compromised - not working, infected, unstable, etc.

If you insist on continuing to use a cleaner regularly, I recommend a complete system backup before starting the cleaning process.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 01:01
I gave up on registry cleaning with XP. Along the way, Microsoft has changed the way the registry is stored and processed. Unused items are no longer a drag on booting the system (and haven't been for a long time). Aggressive registry cleaning can easily cause more harm than good by deleting a needed entry and rendering an app unusable. In extreme instances perhaps making the system unstable.

The only time I even consider registry cleaning these days is when a system is severely compromised - not working, infected, unstable, etc.

If you insist on continuing to use a cleaner regularly, I recommend a complete system backup before starting the cleaning process.
Thank you. I had not thought about these things. I guess I won't be using Ccleaner for that anymore.
Regards,
hlewton