My Not working Email Notifications

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

My Not working Email Notifications

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Hi,
I was thinking that I might start a Thread at my Email providers, German Telekom. ( They have a help forum that I sometimers post in )

I don’t know if they could shed any light on why I get no Email notifications from eileenslounge.com ( since the move to the new server ***)?
It’s not really a problem for me, as I pop by regularly and things don’t vanish down the lists so quickly. So it’s easy for me to keep in touch.
I am just curious to see if I can find out what causes these sorts of problems: Email notifications crapping out occasionally effects me and others at other places, but usually it’s more inconsistent and sorts itself out. I have had the problem constantly for 10 months at Eileenslounge, so it might be easier to track down, although perhaps its something else as it is untypical persistent , or whatever …

I have not got the slightest idea how these things work. I don’t have a clue what the mechanics of it is.

So I thought before I do anything, I would ask you first a couple of things..
_ Do you think there is any chance that an Email provider could shed any light on a problem like this? I mean, if you think its not likely they would have any way to check, then I wont bother.
_ If you think they might be able to check anything, then, is there any info you can share that you think I should give them ? Hans did mention to me that the new server is in Germany.

Its not a major problem for me. If you think its more trouble than its worth then I will forget about it.
I doubt I will post the thread for a few days, if at all: I will wait to see if you have any feedback here.

Alan

P.S Just to refresh on my situation:
Before the server change Eileen’s lounge Email notifications worked for me very reliably, better than many other forums I post in.
After the server change I get none of the usual Email notifications*,

We did some experiments, and if an Email is sent from Hans at eileen’s lounge, then that strangely works , although if he sends an Email from admin at Eileen’s Lounge , then it doesn’t work.
None of the usual Notifications work: * Notifications of a PM or a notifications of a reply to a Thread that I am subscriber to - those two things stopped working for me after the server move

( P.S. 2 - The notifications at the bell at the top work normally for me: http://i.imgur.com/eBMrcCC.jpg )
Last edited by Doc.AElstein on 10 Feb 2021, 13:13, edited 1 time in total.
I am having difficulty logging in with this account just now.
You can find me at DocAElstein also

HansV
Administrator

Re: My Not working Email Notifications

Post by HansV »

The only thing I can think of is that your provider blocks emails from Eileen's Lounge as spam.

We don't have a dedicated server, but rent server space on a shared server. So the email header probably lists a different sender than eileenslounge.com while the From address lists us. Your provider might interpret this as an attempt to mislead you.
Can you ask them whether they have blacklisted us, and if so, if they would be willing to whitelist us?
Best wishes,
Hans

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Sure, I’ll ask them that.
I will post back here if I get any reply.
( I’ll drop the link to the thread I start after I post it.
( I will post in English and German, I usually do that there, ( which usually amuses them… ) ) )

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Hi
Here is the thread I have just started at the German Telekom help Forum
https://telekomhilft.telekom.de/t5/De-M ... 9946#M5291

I have posted there at that forum a few times over the last few years on some diverse aspects of the functioning ( or not) of my Email account.
Mostly I have sorted out any problems myself eventually, but on average they have helped a little bit in me getting to the final solution.
As far as I can tell the helpers at the forum are all employees of German Telekom. It seems as though their participation in the forum is voluntary and its left to them to decide if and when they have time to do any forum work. So far most of the people ever answering me seemed at the “upper” sales type level, being very polite, but not much use technically.
But occasionally they seem to call on their more knowledgeable technical qualified colleagues.

( The forum is very difficult to navigate. - It usually takes me ages to figure out where exactly I should be posting, and if I did not have a few different systems and computers then it usually proves to be almost impossible to post or reply since things seem only to work erratically on a few systems or browsers at any one time.
There is no Portal or index I can find anywhere. Apparently the forum all works well on a smart phone / Mobile , but on a pc / desktop it all seems pot luck )

I will let you know if anything useful comes back.

Alan

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Hi
I had some replies including some direct contact to me at my Email address from the German Telekom “Post Master”.

The shortened story is that they have a policy of never discussing any blocked IP addresses with anyone other than the people concerned, ( and the Police apparently** )
They tell me that they only speak about any blocked IP addresses with the “Listed Person” responsible for the Server.

If I have understood correctly ( and my knowledge of these things is so small that there is at least a chance that I haven’t ! ) , then .._
_..it could be that the server has been blacklisted. But Neither me or you ( anyone at Eileen’sLounge ) would ever know about it. The Server people would know about it, but they might not take any interest.
** there are plenty of reasons that the server could be black listed - apparently German Telekom are particularly thorough and work well with the German authorities – **apparently in some small print I never read, I agreed for them to monitor everything I do and pass it on to the authorities.
( At least I know now why some questions were asked by the Feds on what I was doing once## – there was nothing in it , but at least I know now where the tip off came from. So I have gained a bit of useful info out of asking a few questions at different places at German Telekom )

If the server is in Germany, then I expect German Telekom would have a good chance of knowing about anything dodgy on it, although that’s very uneducated Layman speculation on my behalf.

I will leave it at that as it’s not a major problem, - I just thought it was worth a quick look at.
I doubt it’s in anyone’s interest to trouble the Server people about it.

Maybe they also host some dodgy sites. - Why not – Someone’s got to, - better the devil you know!

I could change my Email address used for Eileen’s lounge,
Maybe I will try that sometime.

Alan

P.S.
( I use my German Telekom Email address for most my forum and Blog site registrations. In the meantime that must be getting on for about a hundred now. I have occasionally experienced such a problem short term at other places, but it usually got sorted out , mostly by itself , ( which I will hazard a guess is a result of the “Listed responsible person that got Pinged” taking some action ) ,
or
Occaisionally It got sorted out after I contacted the Blog site owner – but in those cases, as I recall, the Blog site owner and the Server people were more or less part of the same team / organisation. I expect Eillen’sLounge is on a larger Server used for a lot of other stuff as well …..

P.S.2
( Something I was told along the way, was that German Telekom black list people somewhat quicker than other places that have somewhat better security precautions: German Telekom were attacked badly a few times in recent years, so they are a bit quicker to ban anything that they might think is potentially dangerous.
##Some Robot Email sending macros I have work most consistently with my German Email provider , much better than with gmail or any other Email provider. Possibly German Telekom handle things the other way around to other providers: They pretty well let anyone send anything from an Email , ( **and as I learnt, they let the Feds know about it at will ), but then they are more careful with what they let come in the other direction.
( I might be talking rubbish here as I don’t really know what I am talking about. ) )

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

I changed my Email address from
xxxxxxxx@t-online.de
to my gmail address which is
xxxxxxxx@gmail.com
and straight away Email notification are working again for me ( at the changed address – which was a good job as well, since I had a notification to re activate my account. I did that and all is working well ) …
http://i.imgur.com/XjeV9q9.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/5WqO67X.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/BNlLK7x.jpg

So it looks like something screwy is going on at German Telekom. Possibly the Server is black listed by them. But I don’t know for sure.

Just thought I would mention that in passing. I expect I will leave it at that for a while.... It wouldn't be a good idea anyway to try changing back to the Telekom account, as i would likely not get the EMail to re activate my account... ( I know. I know, what you thinking.. "go on try it" :) )
( The gmail account is my second main Email address. I expect I use it approximately 10% of the time, compared with my German Telekom address )

Alan

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

So it's confirmed that Deutsche Telekom was the culprit. There is little we can do about that...
Best wishes,
Hans

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Since about 2 weeks I have now full German Citizenship, Once I am Chancellor I shall sort the place out… and maybe half the world while I am at it…
:)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

"Heute gehört uns Deutschland, und morgen die ganze Welt" didn't end well the previous time...
Best wishes,
Hans

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

I kept also my British Citizenship. I have Dual nationality, so I have a combined mentality approach, a lethal combination … as Neville said after his visit to my beloved new adopted Bavarian Capital, … 'If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again…. “

_._______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ode to Eileenslounge Email Notifications

Reminiscing the threshold in infinity,
I seek the dimension of our curiosity,
Invisible Threads, in Forum form,
In the making of an invincible bridge, in that storm...
Haziness, vivid and incomplete bliss,
Where threesome snake of love nastily hisses,
On the golden neck, I plant those kisses,
Where the heartbeats from the niche hitches...

Nights of dipped melancholy,
Pens won't turn impeccably,
Hallucinations of holding fingers steadily,
Waking up from this dream and facing the reality...
You are no longer there…

Once again, another morning..
I awake from restless slumber
Switch on the coffee machine,
Also old Vista laptop,
Churning , churning.
But behold, you are back
you are there,
EMail Notifications Back.JPG
all is well…
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Just an update , just out of passing interest, that’s all..
My Email notifications of any replies in Threads that I am subscribed to has , since I changed my Email address , continued , so far , to be 100% reliable. :)

( I have noticed in the meantime that I still don’t get any Email notification of normal PMs. ( I did before the server change ) . So that continues to be not working for me since the Server change. - So me changing my Email address used for Eileen's Lounge did not fix that. ( I did not notice that initially, .. and it’s no major issue for me … I don’t get many private messages .. :sad: )

Alan

_.______________________________

Edit May 2021
All my EMail notifications have stopped working again since about 2- 3 weeks, so ironically shortly after I posted the last message above.... as they say ... I spoke too soon ! ( this time around it might be related to this https://eileenslounge.com/viewtopic.php ... 02#p283202 )

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

I've just had my first email notification for quite some weeks

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Thanks Geoff, that's good to hear. Hopefully we are all sorted now.
Leif

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Me too, - I just got the notification of , presumably, the reply from GeoffW
http://imgur.com/gyfob0v.jpg
http://imgur.com/N4Hrpch.jpg

( But still not working notifications of PMs for me - I had a PM from Chris at about the same time as the reply from GeoffW , but no EMail notification of that... )
Alan

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Doc.AElstein wrote:
25 May 2021, 09:12
Me too, - I just got the notification of , presumably, the reply from GeoffW
Presumably.
If you really want to know, check the post number in the notification email. You can check the post number of individual posts by hovering your cursor over the subject and noting the URL displayed:

x.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leif

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Doc.AElstein wrote:
25 May 2021, 09:12
( But still not working notifications of PMs for me - I had a PM from Chris at about the same time as the reply from GeoffW , but no EMail notification of that... )
Alan
Double-check you have selected 'EMAIL' notifications, and not just 'NOTIFICATIONS' in your profile:

x.jpg

If you have and are not getting emails - even into your SPAM folder - then sorry, we have no idea what the problem is.
Leif

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Leif wrote:
25 May 2021, 09:24
If you really want to know, ...
Hi Leif

This is the text of my EMail

You are receiving this notification because you are watching the topic "My
Not working Email Notifications" at "Eileen's Lounge". This topic has
received a reply by GeoffW since your last visit. No more notifications
will be sent until you visit the topic.

If you want to view the newest post made since your last visit, click the
following link:

https://eileenslounge.com:443/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=36120&e=1&view=unread#unread

If you want to view the topic, click the following link:
https://eileenslounge.com:443/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=36120

If you want to view the forum, click the following link:
https://eileenslounge.com:443/viewforum.php?f=12

None of those match up with the
that I see from hovering over Geoff's reply.
But no matter, it tells me that GeoffW answered, .... and
is the number obtained when hovering over the Thread title at the top.
So I know who replied, and which Thread. So all is well

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Leif wrote:
25 May 2021, 09:31
Double-check ..
All checked, frequently.
EMail notification of PMs is not working for me as it should.
No matter, no problem, the red circle thing above always has worked for everything , as far as I know never failed, so I keep in touch by the occaisional visit
Alan
Last edited by Doc.AElstein on 25 May 2021, 09:59, edited 1 time in total.

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

By the way, Leif, my EMail notification of your two replies to me did show me the post number - the text is a bit different...

You are receiving this notification because "Leif" quoted you in the topic
"My Not working Email Notifications" at "Eileen's Lounge". You can use the
following link to view the reply made.

If you want to view the quoted post, click the following link:
https://eileenslounge.com:443/viewtopic.php?p=283981#p283981

If you want to view the topic, click the following link:
https://eileenslounge.com:443/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=36120

If you want to view the forum, click the following link:
https://eileenslounge.com:443/viewforum.php?f=12

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Your two quoted emails are different.
If you want to view the newest post made since your last visit, click the
following link:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=36120&e=1&view=unread#unread
This link points to the first unread post in the thread - possibly because there had been more than one by the time the email was sent.

===
If you want to view the quoted post, click the following link:
viewtopic.php?p=283981#p283981
This link points to a specific post that you had been quoted in, presumably because you have selected to be notified of posts in which you are quoted.
Leif