Administrator Privileges

BobH
UraniumLounger

Administrator Privileges

Post by BobH »

My Win 10 login carries Administrator privilege, I think. I checked using a command prompt . . .
and and Settings > Account
settings account.PNG
yet I am getting error messages saying that I do not have the privilege of changing file permissions.

I've looked at it too long and can't get out of the mindset I'm following.

Please and thank you. :cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

HansV
Administrator

Re: Administrator Privileges

Post by HansV »

In which folder are you trying to change permissions? Some system folders are protected even from an admin account.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I want to change permissions for a shared drive and failing that for the folders on that drive. Is that a protected function? I recall setting the permissions to allow read and write when I shared the drive but that seems to have changed for reasons unknown to me.

I haven't tried to 'unshare' the drives then share them again because I wanted to understand what is happening.

Thank you, Mr. V! :cheers: :chocciebar: :chocciebar: :cheers:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Someone else will have to assist you with that...
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

What drive is it and what type is this drive?

I see that in the posted image above, it is showing that you are in the "Users" folder and one CAN not make properties changes to that folder.

The user sharing must be done from the user account that is the owner of said account. which means one can not share someone else's files.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

You would probably need to seize ownership of the files to do this, and if those files belong to a different user that might cause problems.
StuartR

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

DaveA, the image shows that I am in both the Administrators and Users groups. That has me confused.

StuartR, how can I determine ownership of files?

My SIL, who gave me the machine, still has a login on this laptop. His login shows as Administrator as well. Do you think I need to remove his account?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

One can NOT get ownership of another account regardless if you are the Super Administrator.
Only the account user can share them.

Is there any thing in the SIL's account that you want?
If NOT delete the account AND FILES using the Control panel method.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

All of the objects are mine, I think. Here are a few screenshots. I am rhhut.

The first shot shows me as the owner and Everyone with read/write privileges (at least that's how I understand it.)
g whiz 3.PNG
The second shot shows permissions after choosing Properties for the folder.
g whiz too.PNG
The last shot shows the the error I get when I try to set permission for read/write - even though the first shot shows everyone has read/write already.
g whiz.PNG
Color me confused. :scratch:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Is Z: a physical partition on a hard drive, or is it something else like a network share or a virtual encrypted drive?
Is HP-MFEH\rhhut your username?

Read and execute access is NOT the same as read and write access. It just means that you can read files, and run executable files, not that you can modify anything.
StuartR

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

It appears to me that you are still trying to make changes to the "System/User" folder, is that correct?

Per my first post, that you have not answered the second question, it appears that the Z dive is a substituted drive from the C drive?

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Z: is a hard drive partition on the machine HP-MFEH. It is the shared drive that should be available to both the HP-ENVY and the HP-MFEH PCs. IOW, the physical drive in on the HP-MFEH PC. What I think I did was to make this drive available over the wifi network so that both PCs could read and write it. Somehow, the read/write doesn't work on both machines. I'm typing this on the MFEH PC and the screenshot is taken from Windows Explorer on this machine.
FE view.PNG
When I right click the drive and look at properties I see the number of bytes allocated to it. I will go to the other machine now and see if I get the same result. The series of screen shots in my post #8189 above were taken on the HP-ENVY PC.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

You need to make the SHARE itself read write, before you make the files read write.
StuartR

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Stuart!

Here is a sequence of screenshots I made of the steps I used in attempting to follow your suggestion.

The first (below) is the File Explorer display showing the Shared (Z:) drive icon which I right clicked to get the second shot.
First.PNG
The second (below) shows the Properties option which I clicked to get the third shot.
Second.png
The third (below) shows the results of clicking the Properties option. I thought this would tell me the physical drive that the Z: partition resides on but it doesn't. From the Properties window I clicked the Security tab to get the fourth shot.
Third.PNG
I can't add the last in this post due to limits here; so I'll reply to this post and include it.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

The fourth shot (below) shows permissions.
Fourth.PNG
There several groups or user names in the window: Everyone, CREATOR OWNER, SYSTEM, BATCH, Administrators (HP-ENVY\Administrators), INTERACTIVE, and SERVICE.

Everyone has the desired permissions (Allow checked in all rows).

CREATOR OWNER has only Special Permissions. I cannot change permissions for this entity.

SYSTEM has the desired permissions - the same as Everyone.

BATCH, Administrators (HP-ENVY\Administrators), INTERACTIVE, and SERVICE has the desired permissions - the same as Everyone.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Those are FILE permissions. There are also permissions for the share itself.
Did you do this from the system that is sharing the drive, or the system that is accessing the shared drive? It looks like you are on the system that is accessing the share, and this one cannot change the sharing permissions. You need to make the change on the other system.
StuartR

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Leave it to me to lose with 50:50 odds. :hairout:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)