Office and other files stored in the cloud

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Office and other files stored in the cloud

Post by hlewton »

I have never intentionally stored anything in the cloud. Yesterday after saving a file, I had just copied from the Net into Word, I could not find it in the folder Documents on my PC; which is the default folder to store files. I used Word to reopen it and learned it had been saved in the folder Documents in the cloud. I do not want files stored in the cloud. I thought I had deleted them using another computer other than the one I am on now. When I checked the cloud to see if my files I had deleted were gone, they were not. I tried to delete them again and got a dialog box saying they would be permanently deleted even on my PC. I don’t understand this message and don’t want them deleted from my PC. Also I don’t want to store files in the cloud. How can I deleted all the files in the cloud without affecting my PC and be assured I don’t store any more in the cloud?

If it makes any difference some of the files stored in the cloud had a green check mark inside a green circle while the others had a blue cloud beside them. I should also mention that the cloud documents folder was in One Drive, whatever that means.
Regards,
hlewton

Leif
Administrator

Re: Office and other files stored in the cloud

Post by Leif »

I doubt if I am going to be able to assist, but it may be helpful to state what version of Office you are using.
Leif

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

1) Do you have a OneDrive icon in the taskbar? You may have to click the ^ symbol to see it.

onedrive.png

If so, right-click it and select Settings from the context menu.
Activate the Account tab.
You should see a list of locations that are being synced to the cloud.
You can click 'Stop Syncing' for the ones that you don't want to sync.

2) In Word, select File > Options.
Select Save in the navigation pane on the left.
Make sure that the check box 'Save documents to computer' is ticked.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Leif wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 12:53
I doubt if I am going to be able to assist, but it may be helpful to state what version of Office you are using.
I use Office 365 so I guess Office 2019.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 13:07
1) Do you have a OneDrive icon in the taskbar? You may have to click the ^ symbol to see it.

onedrive.png

2) In Word, select File > Options.
Select Save in the navigation pane on the left.
Make sure that the check box 'Save documents to computer' is ticked.
I do not see OneDrive icon anywhere. How can I get to it to stop the Syncing.

I know my attachment is going to prove me otherwise and I have no idea how it got changed but I did, at one time at least, have the option to save to computer by default checked. I am going to check it again. Should I uncheck any of the other things that are checked now?

I also checked both Excel and Power Point and they are set up the same so whatever I do for Word I assume I can do for these 2 programs as well. However, Access does not seem to have the same Save option and it still shows the folder Documents on my PC as the default folder. I assume some update that MS did changed these settings because I did have them all set at on time.
Save.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

hlewton wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 13:30
...I do not see OneDrive icon anywhere...
As Hans said, look on the Taskbar, at the right hand end, near the clock. If there is no little cloud icon visible, click on the ^ to get a pop-up that shows you hidden icons. Is there no cloud icon there either?
hlewton wrote:
...I have no idea how it got changed but I did, at one time at least, have the option to save to computer by default checked. I am going to check it again...
An update to Office 365 might have had the 'unexpected side effect' on unchecking that tick box. Ticking it again should ensure stuff doesn't go to OneDrive, unless you explicitly chose to save it there. At least that has been my experience.

Ken

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

stuck wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 14:12
hlewton wrote:
...I do not see OneDrive icon anywhere...
As Hans said, look on the Taskbar, at the right hand end, near the clock. If there is no little cloud icon visible, click on the ^ to get a pop-up that shows you hidden icons. Is there no cloud icon there either?
hlewton wrote:
...I have no idea how it got changed but I did, at one time at least, have the option to save to computer by default checked. I am going to check it again...
An update to Office 365 might have had the 'unexpected side effect' on unchecking that tick box. Ticking it again should ensure stuff doesn't go to OneDrive, unless you explicitly chose to save it there. At least that has been my experience.

Ken
Thank you. I found that cloud. I will do what was said above.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 13:07

onedrive.png

I just tried to do this. One I opened settings and activated the Accounts tab I had to open the Choose Folder button. I did not see any 'Stop Syncing" option so I assume I am supposed to uncheck the folders that are shown when I chose "Choose Folder" button. When I did that and started unchecking the folders I do not want synced I saw the message in the red rectangular box. I do not want these folders or files deleted on my PC. Please see the first attachment. How do I make sure these files are not deleted from my PC?

I then clicked on the Office tab and found what is shown in the second attachment. Should I unclick that option that is checked?
One Drive.jpg
One Drive 2.jpg
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'd make a backup of all the relevant folders before changing any setting. That way, you can copy them back if necessary.

I'd clear the check box in the second screenshot.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

OK Thanks. Hans not sure if this is where I should ask this but since it is from this thread I thought I should mention it. I am not getting email notifications of any replies to this thread. Is there a known problem?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I suspect that there is a problem on our side.
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

hlewton wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 23:06
I am not getting email notifications of any replies to this thread. Is there a known problem?
It is always worth checking the Lounge Matters forum for threads such as My Not working Email Notifications - Eileen's Lounge
Leif

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Leif wrote:
27 Apr 2021, 07:14
hlewton wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 23:06
I am not getting email notifications of any replies to this thread. Is there a known problem?
It is always worth checking the Lounge Matters forum for threads such as My Not working Email Notifications - Eileen's Lounge
From what I can see from your link my email should still be working for notifications but, sadly, it''s not. I believe I still am using a gmail account for notifications from Eileen's and they are transferred to my main email account. I checked the Gmail account and there are no notifications in that email either nor are they going to the Spam or Junk folder.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

We had a problem with e-mails a few days ago. I haven't received any digests since, so stay tuned.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
27 Apr 2021, 12:41
We had a problem with e-mails a few days ago. I haven't received any digests since, so stay tuned.
Will do, Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton