Changing ISP

BobH
UraniumLounger

Changing ISP

Post by BobH »

When changing ISP, logins on forums continue to use the domain name in your email address before the ISP change. Domain name elements in email addresses from abandoned ISPs cause emails to stop functioning as, presumably, the abandoned ISP doesn't keep you in their server lists. This makes communicating to make changes at forums impossible if they have no means allowing the user to change his email address. Example: I join a forum as bobh@ISP1_domain_name. Later I drop ISP1 and go to ISP2. Yes, I can continue to login in to that forum as bobh@ISP1_domain_name with a password, but if I need to change that password, the forum cannot send email to bobh@ISP1_domain_name because ISP1 no longer has me in its mail server.

Does anyone know tips or tricks to work around this? I've tried contacting forum administrators where this is a problem without success. Sure, I can create an account with the new ISP2 domain address (or go to gmail or yahoo etc).
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

HansV
Administrator

Re: Changing ISP

Post by HansV »

As long as you are able to log in, most sites will let you change your user profile settings, including your email address. You will usually have to respond to a confirmation email sent to the new address.
So if you know you are going to switch to a new ISP, it's best to change the email account in your profile in advance, if necessary to a temporary one.
If you have forgotten your password AND the registered email address is not active anymore, you are at the mercy of the site's administrators. If they reply to your request, they'll usually ask for some proof that you're really the member you claim to be. Otherwise, anyone could take over another user's account just by sending a request...
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Alternatively you can create an email address that doesn't change every time you switch ISP. Some people use gmail for this, I personally prefer a paid for service like Fastmail, as it respects my privacy.
StuartR

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, guys!

I'm afraid I didn't anticipate the change well and didn't make the changes ahead of time. I am gradually changing my registered email addresses to gmail, but I think I'll investigate Fastmail.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Percy Vere
2StarLounger

Post by Percy Vere »

I read this a day or so ago re Gmail. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56733667
Regards
Percy
Windows 10 Home 21H2

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Gmail may be safe from hackers, but Google reads all your mail...
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Many gmail accounts have been hacked. You can use your favourite search engine to find examples.
StuartR

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Does anyone know anything about mail.com? It is free and claims to protect privacy.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

StuartR wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 16:18
Many gmail accounts have been hacked. You can use your favourite search engine to find examples.
I was regularly receiving emails that are not for me in my gmail account (I don't have a dentist in Florida!). I thought at first it was mistyped or misunderstood addresses, but then I read an article about how gmail ignores certain characters in an address so that f.akemail@... is the same account as fakemail@... and that while it's not supposed to allow two accounts with the same name, sometimes it fails...

I used to get annoyed and reply to the sender demanding (I was a grumpy beggar) that they tell their customer that they supplied a wrong email address, and sometimes tried to contact the sender if it looked important (I was sent details of somebody's oncology appointment once) but that's when I discovered how hard it was to contact institutions without resetting the password or something equally intrusive. Now I don't bother, I mark them as spam and let the spam filter sort them out. You can only do so much after all.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Oh dear
StuartR

Percy Vere
2StarLounger

Post by Percy Vere »

Still no notification or email.
-
pv.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards
Percy
Windows 10 Home 21H2

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Alan (DocAElstein) had a similar problem. It turned out that his ISP blocked emails from Eileen's Lounge...
Best wishes,
Hans

Percy Vere
2StarLounger

Post by Percy Vere »

For BobH, Just been re reading this thread. I have contacted my ISP to see if they are the cause of my not getting Lounge email. Were you successful?
Regards
Percy
Windows 10 Home 21H2

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

^^^
No. I discontinued service from my old ISP before making all the changes I needed in various login credentials. The old ISP would not offer service without payment and wouldn't pay 2 ISPs simultaneously. I'm gradually working out credentialing problems over a period of some months.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Percy Vere
2StarLounger

Post by Percy Vere »

I am not having any luck either re my ISP TalkTalk. I have reset FF & G Chrome to accept 3rd party cookies. If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Regards
Percy
Windows 10 Home 21H2

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Hello Bob,
I am late to this party, as I was generally very late on getting into Internet and Email Providers. But just picking up on what Stuart said and my 2 cents about Email accounts and forums….

( I had not actually noticed that having an Internet Service Provider and an Email account could be related. I suppose it makes sense to have one offered a one off package of a combined paid Email account with the cost of your internet connection.

As long as I can remember, we have always used the biggest German telephone and internet provider, Deutsche Telekom. When I finally got into Internet we got a Router on the existing copper telephone line and shortly after from the same Deutsche Telekom we then got an additional internet USB dongle as a back up and for travelling.
Whilst Deutsche Telekom have both a paid and free Email service, I don’t recall the issue of an Email account ever coming up when we got an internet connection! )

My first and still main Email account and general internet User name, Doc.AElstein, was set up hurriedly at the info desk where I had just bought a computer, my first PC.
By coincidence a German Free mail account ( t-online.de ) was set up , probably as it was the most common in Germany at that time. It was a few weeks before I realised my Email account was related to German Telekom, my Internet Service Provider!
That main account of mine has mostly been very reliable.
In the meantime I use a few dozen German Telekom Free mail accounts, t-online.de , for my Robot CDO Email sending VBA macros. It has never failed, and there seems to be no limit on the number of accounts that are easy to register. As far as I can tell the only advantage of upgrading to their paid service is that you get infinite storage. Theoretically you might get better back up and service, but most of their back up is related to their Help Forum. Half the Forum helpers are German Telekom Employees, but I have found that they are not always the best helpers. The voluntary helpers make no distinction on if you are using the paid or free accounts
The biggest disadvantage for me in my multiple account uses at German Telekom is that if you use the redirection possibility, you get no copy of the original.

My second main account is gmail
The big advantage for me of gmail is the ability to redirecting of Email whilst marinating a copy. In the meantime I have about 20 gmail accounts. It helps me to organise some forums and other things, since the redirected copy at my main Email address I can read, and act on / delete as appropriate. Mostly I will end up deleting it to keep my main account uncluttered, but then I know I have an automatic stored copy at that gmail address.
Another advantage of having a few accounts: For important things I can arrange for them to be sent to my main Email address and one of these gmail addresses. That way I reduce the chances of missing an important Email: I should get it twice at my main address at about the same time, and routinely I will delete immediately one. For the occasion that something goes wrong and an Email does not arrive as it should at one account, then I have at least one.
My Robot CDO Email sending VBA macros work very well with gmail, but it can be a problem if you move around on different computers and IP addresses, since they will often block the attempt to use from anywhere unusual until you confirm that it was you. That can get a bit frustrating.

In more recent years I got set up with a good paid VPN service and at some places/ forums have started to visit anonymously: Not for vicious reasons, at least not from my side, - but sometimes under pseudo names you get bit further in some strange situations. Not all forums are so friendly, for example, there are some strange psychos around forums masquerading as nice people and with them some version of familiarity breeds contempt or something similar creeps in. They seem sometimes less likely to help a genuine character, and are more comfortable dealing with anonymous users with a user name like kjfsdh11325. They have a problem getting on with real people in real life I suspect.
I have a system that matches up the location of a VPN server with a typical Email provider from that country. It can be a bit difficult with foreign language providers, but a more international provider , or American provider, can cover a lot of the VPN Server locations I use , .

So more recently I used a few other places in conjunction with organising it in my VPN, both the registering of the account and later use of.
AOL is OK, the useful for me redirecting of Email whilst marinating a copy works well. One big draw back , which we discussed here before I think, is that they block an address quite often without warning or explanation. People have often found that mails from certain people suddenly just don’t ever arrive anymore. I have experienced that myself.
I have a few Microsoft Outlook accounts. They also have the useful redirecting of Email whilst marinating a copy. But their redirecting of mail has stopped working a few times causing me to miss some notifications. They keep changing things and I get bombarded with “changes in agreement “ spam type Emails from them..

I have quite a few others which I use less frequently, Yandex, Yahoo, GMX. They all work but I have less experience with them.

All in all , I guess what I am saying is:
There seems to be a very large amount of free Email providers who provide a good service. Just my two cents would be to have a few accounts tailoring them to suit better particular things. Using the redirecting of Email whilst marinating a copyto a main account can be useful. Effectively you have a back up storage of EMails, which can help to organise different things you are interested in if you use your Email accounts selectively.

Alan
Last edited by Doc.AElstein on 02 May 2021, 07:34, edited 3 times in total.
I am having difficulty logging in with this account just now.
You can find me at DocAElstein also

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

HansV wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 10:09
Alan (DocAElstein) had a similar problem. It turned out that his ISP blocked emails from Eileen's Lounge...
Hi Hans,
I think we came to that conclusion, since immediately after I changed the address used for the Lounge from my German Telekom account to gmail, I instantly got notifications. That probably is still the right conclusion.
But I should just note a couple of things:
_ It only cured getting Emails for replies in Threads I am subscribed to. It did not cure not getting Email notifications of PMs
_ Since about 2-3 weeks I am getting no notifications at all, as before :( . So I am back to the problem of no notifications since about 2-3 weeks.

I think we have often concluded that the Email notifications are a bit iffy since a year or so.
So I think I wont bother to keep replying in my Thread about it .
Better, I think I will just edit the last post in that Thread to note changes in the situation. Then in the very long term , maybe some pattern might emerge.

There is a very, very small possibility that my Usernames / Email addresses are being chased, or chased off: There is a small possibility I might be shadow banned by some place including Microsoft, and apparently they have ways to get at people at Office related help forums, even if the forum is theoretically independent of Microsoft. Or they can influence who gets put on other peoples black lists. This was suggested to me by the owner of a paid forum I subscribe to, who is expert in Windows and Internet matters, and based this suggestion on some investigating he did for me. But I am not so paranoid myself, so that’s why I say there is just a very small chance. I don’t personally think I am that important enough in the internet world for anyone to worry about.

But if I change my Email address used again a few times sometime in the distant future , and monitor the situation, then maybe I might get to the bottom of it.

In my experience it continues to be an ever growing phenomena of Emails sent being “lost without trace”……Possibly its an unwanted side effect of spam filters having to be tightened up due to the ever increasing spammers out there: Inevitably a lot of genuine stuff gets tanked by mistake.,
On average its getting worse over all the forums I participate in…
I always try to encourage people not to rely on them.

Alan

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

We're having a problem with emails at the moment; as far as I know, no notifications or digests have been sent for at least a week. We're investigating the problem and we hope that we'll be able to solve it, but we cannot give an estimate of when, unfortunately.
Best wishes,
Hans

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Ah , that might explain my recent experience. I have been very inactive of late so I can’t put an exact figure on when I stopped getting notifications this time around. To put it in a safe tolerance I would have to say 2 weeks + / - 1 week
( Somebody did not respond to a PM of mine a week or two ago. I would usually of expected a reply. ( The PM was not important and became irrelavant and redundant as time went, on so I deleted it from my Out Box . Never mind. Wasn't important ))

Its been my general experience that most “normal” members never notice short term failures in Email notifications.

_._____

I can’t imagine that the following is anything but a coincidence, but just for the .1% chance that it might be related: For about the same time, possibly a bit longer, Email notifications have stopped working over at excelfox.com . They have been previously 99% + reliable for as long as I can remember….. ( I don’t want to trouble my partner / owner there since he is having hell with the latest Indian Corona mutation )

I suppose there is the small chance that it’s the start of the world wide net epidemic Email notification eating virus……. CoNotificus … :) :flee:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The problem we are experiencing is specific to Eileen's Lounge, it is not related to whatever problems other forums might have.
Best wishes,
Hans