Image Posting + Editing

Percy Vere
2StarLounger

Image Posting + Editing

Post by Percy Vere »

I have noticed some images show sensitive info, others hide it (if they remember). If the data I want to remove is quite big, I paste a blank over it. If its small I use the erase feature, both in Windows Paint. What method do you use?
Regards
Percy
Windows 10 Home 21H2

HansV
Administrator

Re: Image Posting + Editing

Post by HansV »

I have moved this thread from Windows General to Lounge Matters, since it is about posting images.

I use FastStone Capture to take screenshots. This utility has a blur function with several options.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

It's not just visible sensitive info that you should consider removing, e.g. the metadata in the EXIF tags of images from a digital camera can reveal quite a bit. Such data is stripped from any photos I share when I use the 'save for web' option in IrfanView.

Ken

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I also use the blur function in FastStone Capture
StuartR

Percy Vere
2StarLounger

Post by Percy Vere »

Thanks for your answers, I will retain the info for future reference. I have never used FastStone Capture or IrfanView & I don't use a Digital Camera.
P.S. When do I start getting notified by email, it has been set in my UCP.
Regards
Percy
Windows 10 Home 21H2

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Add me to the list of user of FastStone Image Viewer's blur function.

Ken, what metadata editing tool(s) do you use?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

BobH wrote:
11 Apr 2021, 20:33
...what metadata editing tool(s) do you use?
If I need to edit an individual metadata tag I use ExifTool via ExifToolGUI but I rarely do that. As I've already said, IrfanView's 'save for web' option, which is done by the RIOT plugin, removes all the EXIF data in one go.

Ken

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Percy Vere wrote:
11 Apr 2021, 20:18
...I don't use a Digital Camera...
Do you have a camera on your mobile phone and if so do you ever upload images from it? because those images will contain metadata in their EXIF tags.

Ken

Percy Vere
2StarLounger

Post by Percy Vere »

stuck wrote:
12 Apr 2021, 07:18
Percy Vere wrote:
...I don't use a Digital Camera...
Do you have a camera on your mobile phone and if so do you ever upload images from it? because those images will contain metadata in their EXIF tags.

Ken
I'm one of the people who have a smarter mobile phone, it is unable to get internet connection, so is totally secure.
Regards
Percy
Windows 10 Home 21H2

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Percy Vere wrote:
P.S. When do I start getting notified by email, it has been set in my UCP.
Email notifications have been a bit quirky and less reliable since a year or so, since the forum moved to a new server.
https://eileenslounge.com/viewtopic.php ... 78#p275578
https://eileenslounge.com/viewtopic.php ... 43#p282143
https://eileenslounge.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=36120

But the notifications up there at the top in a red background circle seems fairly reliable, so if you pop by and check that out you can keep in touch with that.

( Email notification in general in the internet forum world I have noticed getting less reliable in recent years. Quite worrying when most of the time no one ever knows why… - things are “vanishing” without trace. It’s all part of the inevitable computers taking control of us I guess, and us loosing control…. )

Alan

P.S I am pretty primitive in my way of blanking stuff out. I use Snipping Tool mostly still for images, and then scribble out stuff that I want to hide with the pen. Possibly that is not very secure, I don't know. But for me there is rarely anything to hide.
I am pretty reckless these days genarally.
Last edited by Doc.AElstein on 14 Apr 2021, 09:45, edited 1 time in total.
I am having difficulty logging in with this account just now.
You can find me at DocAElstein also

Percy Vere
2StarLounger

Post by Percy Vere »

Hello Alan, this is how my UCP has been since joining. I thought it might have been, being a new member, permission was required from the Admins. Just noticed I got 3 emails for this from you at slightly different times.
-
EL.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards
Percy
Windows 10 Home 21H2

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Hello Percy

An Admin will probably confirm this, but I think there are no restrictions on when you start getting notifications.

Here by the way, are my prefferences:
My Notifications.JPG
I don’t think I ever changed my preferences. But I am not 100% sure. I might have idly fiddled with them once and then not remembered.

In any case, I definitely did not change them at any time around the server change around a year ago.
As detailed in the Thread I referrenced, the server change caused my replies
_ to a topic to which I am subscribed
and
_ when someone sends me a private message
to stop working...

After changing my Email address used, that cured the non working replies to a topic to which I am subscribed

For me personally its not a major issue.
I think generally its accepted that the notifications can be a bit quirky and unreliable since a year or so… you can see that from the links I posted. I think others also have mentioned it in passing

Alan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Doc.AElstein on 14 Apr 2021, 09:46, edited 1 time in total.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

As Alan mentions, e-mails from Eileen's Lounge haven't been 100% dependable since we moved to a new server and software version about a year ago... :sad:
Best wishes,
Hans

Percy Vere
2StarLounger

Post by Percy Vere »

A slight change, I only got 1 email, it was from Alan. Because I hadn't visited EL before Hans's post I only got Alan's
Regards
Percy
Windows 10 Home 21H2

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

That’s probably theoretically as it should work usually..... (…. .....This topic has received a
reply by Percy Vere since your last visit. No more notifications will be
sent until you visit the topic.
…….
) - Its like that in a lot of help forums.
But because of the erratic nature of it working or not working, its probably not with relying on it.
Occasionally you get bombarded with multiple Emails. Rare, but it does happen.
Its personal choice, but I would , as a normal user , tend to check everything to receive all notifications and all Emails etc., but then also pop by occasionally anyway.
In the case of asking questions its probably always best to pop by and check, so not to miss any help.

The people who help and post a lot often disable Email notifications to prevent getting swamped with Emails.

The default at Eileen’s lounge is for Email notification, and I think that’s good. A couple of places I post in have the default as no notifications, and that is very sad since most new members seem to assume they will be notified. Often this then results in peoples help going unnoticed. That’s very unfortunate, IMO. But worst things happen at sea :)