winhlp32.exe file for all OS [Solved]

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

winhlp32.exe file for all OS [Solved]

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Hi
I have a .hlp file that I would like to be able to read on all my computers.
I expected I would have difficulties on newer machines, and I did….

I have had a couple of frustrating days searching the web.
Either I get re directed to the official Microsoft places for Windows 10 or Windows 8 , or the files offered as a download for earlier operating systems either
Wont download
Download but don’t work, or won’t unzip

I have it sorted for XP:
I did find an old winhlp32.exe file on an old XP computer. It was at C:\WINDOWS\System32
That appears to work on other XP computers, but no other computers.
If I have that file at C:\WINDOWS\System32 , then I can just click on my .hlp and away it goes.
Alternatively I can put that winhlp32.exe anywhere, double click on that , and then it gives me the chance to browse to find any help file, including the one I want.
So XP seems sorted nicely.

I have partial success for newer operating systems
I downloaded the official Microsoft windows 10 from here
https://download.microsoft.com/download ... WIN764.EXE
That put a winhlp32.exe at
C:\Windows\WinSxS\wow64_microsoft-windows-winhstb_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.18362.1_none_05b828a6bb0002ac
If I try to run that winhlp32.exe on my Windows 10 machine , ) by double clicking on it ) , then nothing happens,
but since running the downloaded EIE11_DE-DE_MCM_WIN764.EXE , after that any .hlp files I double click on which are on that Win 10 machime, will work. ( They did not work before I ran the downloaded EIE11_DE-DE_MCM_WIN764.EXE )
That winhlp32.exe file won’t run on any other computer.
So for Windows 10 I have partial success.

The official story from Microsoft for Windows 8.1 is to download and run this thing:
Windows8.1-KB917607-x64 Winhlp Win8.1.msu
I tried that several times.
It just sets the computer off searching endlessly for updates. The only thing you can then do to stop it is to pull the plug on the computer!
( That particular computer has no issues that I know about regarding internet connection – It is permanently connected to the internet and internet works mostly perfectly. Other things were and continued working fine on the internet when it went on this searching for updates , but nothing I could do would stop that searching which went on for days, - the only thing that I could stop it by was pulling the plug on the computer… )
So that gets you no where
_.___

So in short, can anyone suggest how I might get hold of any winhlp32.exe files to try

These would be the typical system versions I need currently,
Windows 8.1 Professional x64
Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 64-Bit
Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2 32 Bit

But I would be keen to try any winhlp32.exe files that I can get hold of

Thanks
Alan
Last edited by Doc.AElstein on 11 Mar 2021, 19:07, edited 1 time in total.
I am having difficulty logging in with this account just now.
You can find me at DocAElstein also

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Re: winhlp32.exe files

Post by jonwallace »

If you're really desperate you can try the steps here.
Alternatively, there is a bit of advice here.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried this...
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Hi John

I think the jist of what they are saying in the first link is to remake a project using the .hlp file in HTMLHelp Workshop.
As you say, I would have to be desperate and need a lot of time. A long tome ago I did something similar. I would probably need a week to figure out what to do then another week to do it.
There is no guarantee I would not be back at the same point I am now trying to get a final file in another format to do anything…
I will leave that one for the time being.
I might come back to that one later, if I have a lot of free time, or doing something else similar, then it might be worth me getting clued up on all that HTMLHelp Workshop. The extra transgression will send me mad( er ) just now I think

The second link mentions doing something with a winhlp32.exe file that they offer you.
It seems to involve something to do with swapping it with the existing Windows 10 winhlp32.exe
That’s a bit strange since I think that generally Windows 10 does not have any winhlp32.exe
My windows 10 does, because I put one there. Which it the one currently Microsoft give you. As I explained in my post, that is working to open .hlp files, after a fashion
I would take a look anyway, out of interest, but the winhlp32.exe they offer is in a .rar – I can’t do anything with those, so that’s a non starter as well.

Thanks anyway, I appreciate the reply. May be something there for me later to look at.
Alan

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Doc.AElstein wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 16:48
...is in a .rar – I can’t do anything with those..
So download and install 7zip
    https://www.7-zip.org/

Ken

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Hi Ken
I did consider that, obviously. But I try to keep my downloading of stuff to a minimum. Mostly I am a bit worried about catching something bad.
Also the first few free software places I googled looked dodgy..
But/ so… what the hell, as you suggested that one , I will try that one..
:)
Thanks
Alan

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Doc.AElstein wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 17:11
...suggested that one...
It that site is not safe then 7zip is in trouble because the official 7zip website.

Ken

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Doc.AElstein wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 17:11
..first few free software places I googled looked dodgy...
You should only ever download stuff from the official website for the software in question, i.e. only ever get stuff from the source, never via third party.

Ken

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Great news!!
I downloaded and installed successfully the unrarrer
I unrarred that file from Johns second link.. It unrarred OK..

At the link John gave, its mentioned it was originally a “windows xp 64 bit help file”, so I tried it on my XP machines – worked !
I Tried it on my Windows 10 machine - Worked
_... I was happy enough then – I had a second solution for XP and a full solution for my Windows 10. ( That link is talking about using it as a Windows 10 solution, so I was not expecting it to do anything anywhere else. The extra working file for the XP was a bonus… )

But, for completeness, I thought I would try it anyway on other computers, not really expecting it to work... but... .
Tried it on my Windows 8.1 machine - Worked
Tried it on a few Windows 7 machines - Worked
Tried it on a few Vista machines - Worked

This is great, and very unexpected: The last few days I have been hitting internet sites claiming that I needed a different file for each system , some even saying I needed different files for different versions of the same Operating System . Some places even claimed to have them files, but I never got any of them working anywhere!

I have an unusual mixture of Operating systems , and this file is working on all of them!! So I think there is a good chance that this file will always do the job.

Thanks, John, thanks Ken.

For anyone else hitting this thread looking for the same..

This file has so far worked for me on a few different computers and Operating systems
Zipped : winhlp32.zip https://app.box.com/s/o220nvnxjic187tt68ewlj0fdh4q0l70
Rarred : winhlp32.rar https://app.box.com/s/uf6tzfwce55drjlam4q476lzgmyft0o3
Exeeded : winhlp32.exe https://app.box.com/s/x58oqtyzn2tuybsoxwq9pksm91weo2tx
All you have to do is put the .exe anywhere and double click on it.
It comes from the link John gave here: https://www.tenforums.com/general-suppo ... ost1350375
Last edited by Doc.AElstein on 29 Mar 2021, 11:29, edited 1 time in total.

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Re: winhlp32.exe file for all OS [Solved]

Post by jonwallace »

Glad to be of service...
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube