No Sound on External Acer Monitor on HP Laptop

BobH
UraniumLounger

No Sound on External Acer Monitor on HP Laptop

Post by BobH »

I was never the sharpest knife in the drawer but it seems age is making me dull at a very rapid pace.

I have attached an external Acer R240HY monitor to my laptop. I've been able to make it the only display; however, since attaching it, I have no sound. I've searched and found several how-to's that I followed to no avail. I'm here to ask advice from the wisdom of this august body.

I've checked the Acer manual with no luck wrt sound. I've checked and found that the Acer shows up in Settings and I've even set it as the output speaker choice, all to no avail. I have no clue what to check next. :hairout:

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Re: No Sound on External Acer Monitor on HP Laptop

Post by HansV »

As far as I can tell from a quick search, the Acer R240HY monitor doesn't have speakers, so you'll either have to use the laptop's built-in speaker or attach external speakers.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I was confused by the fact that the device shows up in windows sound making devices. I can even choose it for Speakers. The monitor itself has a volume control switch. Apparently, despite those confusing factors, the monitor has audio output but no speakers, nor does it have any jacks for speakers.

Go figure. :scratch:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

My PC monitor is also listed in sound output devices, but it has no built-in speakers...
Best wishes,
Hans