Log Jam on the Information River

kdock
5StarLounger

Log Jam on the Information River

Post by kdock »

When I click on the Daily Digest, I'm greeted with the following, just often enough to be irked:
Lounge Matters 21-01-29.png
This locks up Outlook for anywhere from 15 to 30 seconds wherein I can do nothing but wait (or get more tea). I can't click on a different email, and Cancel doesn't cancel any faster than waiting it out. And sometimes it causes Outlook to report that it's unresponsive. Twemojis are twitter-owned things, the presence of which slow me down. Any ideas on what could have caused the slowdown in today's Digest (Friday, Jan 29 arrived around 1pm EST)?

And does anyone know how to make Twemojis available without reaching across the universe to retrieve them? I'm using Office 2010, which might matter. I'm on Windows 10, which shouldn't matter. I went to this site at emojipedia to look at Twemojis. WARNING: Click if you dare! It took a couple of minutes to display all Twemojis on this site. I've found that Twitter has Twemojis for everyone! I suspect now that maxcdn.com (whoever they are--the host of the Lounge? a third-party resource for the Lounge?) has used them as Twitter invited them to do, but has put them somewhere that's slow and, well, irksome.

My Digest display is set to Plain and it's usually fine--I can see all Smilies and photos within the email. Any suggestions?

Thanks! Kim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.

kdock
5StarLounger

Re: Log Jam on the Information River

Post by kdock »

Well, I think I know the culprit in today's logjam--I found a Twemoji in a response to "Fancy a swim?"

Is there any way to speed up the access of these Twemojis? This actually stopped me twice--once when I first clicked on the email, and a second time when I scrolled down to the bottom of the page. I had stopped to read some of the posts and apparently Outlook acquired the Twemoji, then dropped it out of boredome, then had to fetch it again.
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Eileen's Lounge itself doesn't use Twemojis, we have our own (most created by Kel for Woody's Lounge of old).
As you have found, one of our members included twemojis in their posts. This is beyond our control - it is a new feature provided by Windows (and perhaps other operating systems), not by the Lounge.
Best wishes,
Hans

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

Thanks Hans, but I have access to Windows' enhanced emojis. I just opened the panel and looked through it.

So, I was about to ask why Outlook doesn't recognize them and remembered that I have Outlook 2010, which doesn't directly support the images, only the equivalent characters from an emoji font. (And not all of them, either.)

I will update Office at some time in the near future and it will likely no longer stall. In the meantime, I'll just have to reconcile myself to being irked.

Aye me.