Should I run check disk on a new SSD that I just initialized and formatted?

jmt356
SilverLounger

Should I run check disk on a new SSD that I just initialized and formatted?

Post by jmt356 »

I purchased a new SSD. I installed it in my computer and then performed the following steps in the ShadowProtect RE:
- Initialized the SSD as GPT
- Created a primary partition
- Formatted the SSD as NTFS disk type layout

I recently had an experience where a newly-installed and restored SSD had many errors after I ran a check disk. I suspect it could be because the SSD that I purchased had been defective. Therefore, before I proceed to restore my image to the new SSD that I have formatted, as described above, I want to make sure that the SSD is sound and not defective. Should I run Check Disk on the new SSD? Or is doing so redundant since the SSD was already formatted within the ShadowProtect RE? Does formatting a SSD check it for errors in the same way that check disk does or should I run a check disk separately?
Regards,

JMT

Leif
Administrator

Re: Should I run check disk on a new SSD that I just initialized and formatted?

Post by Leif »

Do you have a reason for not running an error check?

As far as I am aware, running a check disk doesn't do any harm, and I suspect running a check would have taken less time that it took you to make your post!
Leif

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Leif wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 16:40
As far as I am aware, running a check disk doesn't do any harm
Don't use chkdsk /R on an SSD, as this will cause a lot of writes which shorten the life of the memory.
StuartR

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Leif wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 16:40
Do you have a reason for not running an error check?

As far as I am aware, running a check disk doesn't do any harm, and I suspect running a check would have taken less time that it took you to make your post!
Running Check Disk requires me to log out of the RE, go back into Windows, run Check Disk and then go back into the RE to restore the images. I am wondering if that is necessary.

I did end up running Check Disk on both partitions of the SSD. It did not find any errors. I was expecting to take a long time because when I run Check Disk on my local drive, it often takes upwards of an hour or two. This time, it took only a few seconds for each partition. I am not sure why it was so fast. Perhaps it is because I ran check disk on an empty SSD that had only 2 partitions written on it. Still, I am surprised the time would have gone down from 1-2 hours to a couple of seconds for each partition.
Regards,

JMT

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

chkdsk will only have validated the file system. It won't have read every block on the device. So if you just have two empty partitions it's going to be very fast.
StuartR