12vDC applications – online forum?

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: 12vDC applications – online forum?

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
28 Dec 2020, 23:11
Chris, a 12VDC hobbyist forum is a very highly specific ask; however, you might try this one.
And here is a classic example of why membership in a Lounge like this is valuable (although of course, nothing comes close ...).

Any fool can search the internet for data, although I am not as good as others at locating the cream of the crop.
But active membership in a Lounge (as distinct from lurking) brings out the true value; which is personal.

Whatever my qualities, I am a known quantity, in the sense that others here (We will hold up Bob as an example) know something of my ability and level(s) of knowledge, and I know of and respect highly Bob's lifetime experience.

There is more data in the minds of Lounge Members than in all the internet web pages (do the math) AND that data has a better retrieval process.

So when Bob says "try this one" it means that (a) Bob thinks it will suit and (b) I believe that Bob might be on to something before I even click on the link.

Imagine my surprise when clicking on the link I find myself at a forum I had explored briefly (one of six or so I had scoured yesterday from a Google search) and it came up trumps.
Same forum, but Bob's link gave me a different view of the forum from the one I wandered in; as if Bob had found a better path from the perimeter than my goat-track of yesterday.

I SHALL JOIN this forum and reduce the electrical engineering load on Eileen's Lounge.

I am serious; I trust the advice of those who know me well; it is a natural facet of being human!

Thanks to Bob, and to ALL who responded with advice.

Cheers
Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Hey, Bob's yer uncle! . . . or so they say. :grin:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Chris: with regard to using an exercise bike to generate electricity, have you tried perpetual motion? It would save you a lot of energy ( :thumbup: !)...

(Pity I can't now find the account of the modified-wheel bicycle that was recently and seriously put forward as a competitor for electric bikes...)
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:
30 Dec 2020, 09:07
Chris: with regard to using an exercise bike to generate electricity, have you tried perpetual motion? It would save you a lot of energy ( :thumbup: !)...
(Pity I can't now find the account of the modified-wheel bicycle that was recently and seriously put forward as a competitor for electric bikes...)
hah hah. I'm guessing "momentum" after an initiating spin and "film loop nicely timed".
John, I'm not sure whether your comment om an exercise bike comes after you had waded through my web pages.
One of my applications suggests having David weld me a stand for the back wheel and fix one of those front-wheel dynamos to the back wheel as a desperate last-ditch effort to generate power when the wind fails (as if!). This is different from the application to charge the battery OF an electric bike (or wheel-chair)
I have included a solar panel generator too, on the grounds that folks in Yuma, Arizona might be interested and most of my reasoning applies to solar generation - except that the wind blows 24/7.
Cheers
Chris

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
30 Dec 2020, 15:00
[..] I have included a solar panel generator too, on the grounds that folks in Yuma, Arizona might be interested [...]
Sadly, the only interesting thing about Yuma was the 3.10 to it! <chuff, chuff!>
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

Chris, you need to build yourself one of these https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/beverly-clock .
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

jonwallace wrote:
31 Dec 2020, 11:50
Chris, you need to build yourself one of these https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/beverly-clock .
Or just buy one:
https://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/eu/en/ ... atmos.html

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

jonwallace wrote:
31 Dec 2020, 11:50
Neat!
Although given the frequency of air-pressure changes here the clock might explode.
("In Bonavista we have Spring, Summer, Autumn, and Winter. Then, after lunch we get ...").

I was playing with an eye-dropper in a small bottle (used to be a hair-dye bottle from a lodger a long time ago)
I now use it to flavour my coffee with fake vanilla essence, but had wondered whether minute variations in air pressure throughout the 24-hour period would be as effective as a one-time squeeze between forefinger and thumb.

Cheers
Chris

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Wouldn't the coffee be cold by the time the air pressure changes enough to drop vanilla essence into your cup?
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

HansV wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 11:30
Wouldn't the coffee be cold by the time the air pressure changes enough to drop vanilla essence into your cup?
In essence, no - not if he waited for the vanilla drip to drop, and then made his coffee...
Leif

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

So it boils (?) down to the eternal debate: coffee first or vanilla first...
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Remember that Our Mister Greaves (OMG :grin:) lives in Bonavista where weather phenomena are diverse and extreme. That air pressure change required to get that drop might just occur.

Weather changes can be sudden and swift and extreme in Texas but those changes are not as frequent as such changes are reported to be in Bonavista. :laugh:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

HansV wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 12:32
So it boils (?) down to the eternal debate: coffee first or vanilla first...
Can you call it vanilla if it's not really vanilla? Should it only be called vanilla if it comes from the Vanilla area of Madagascar (or wherever it's grown)?

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Post by HansV » 04 Jan 2021, 08:00
20201231_113958_HDR.jpg

My mistake in an earlier post in this thread. Here is the "eye-dropper" bottle. Normally I squeeze the bulb (which expels air and fills with essence), unscrew the cap, squeeze the dropper into the coffee, and re-screw the cap. That gives me a shot of vanilla.
I was thinking that an almost 24-hour series of minute minute-by-minute (Nice one Chris!) changes of air-pressure might do the same thing as one mammalian finger squeeze.
Now I shall have to monitor what happens over the next few days. Of course, the second shot of vanilla, for the second coffee, would have to use the fall-back method of digital pressure.

Post by BobH » 04 Jan 2021, 14:55

Remember that Our Mister Greaves (OMG :grin:) lives in Bonavista where weather phenomena are diverse and extreme. That air pressure change required to get that drop might just occur.

Quite so, but to be a little bit pedantic, it is not so much the "air pressure change" as the cumulative effect of air pressure changes throughout the day. Rather like pumping up a bicycle tyre with 1,000 short strokes rather than 20 deep strokes.

Unread post by GeoffW » 04 Jan 2021, 17:50

Can you call it vanilla if it's not really vanilla? Should it only be called vanilla if it comes from the Vanilla area of Madagascar (or wherever it's grown)?

Well to be fair to me, at least, I did say "flavour my coffee with fake vanilla essence". I recall the scare in vanilla prices that flooded the news podcasts back in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019. After that, the only Real Vanilla I consumed was via ice-cream, and even then I was skeptical.
(later) And to be fair to Geoff, he wasn't quoting me, and here I quote Geoff: "I wasn't quoting your post" and I knew that. Geoff for his part has apologized to the Forum Admin, and the Forum Admin has said that he doesn't mind, so I hope that by this addendum I have cleared things up, and we can all go back to strawberry teas and bridge with Mapp and Lucia.

Cheers
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on 05 Jan 2021, 11:19, edited 1 time in total.

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

Chris, you called it fake vanilla. But if you check back, I wasn't quoting your post - rather the post of somebody who dared to call it vanilla without calling it fake. But then, I shouldn't really call out the forum admin ;-)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The forum admin doesn't mind!
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

If you consider the chemistry then there are three types of flavourings:

1) 'Natural' flavouring, which is the real deal, extracted from the relevant plant.

2) 'Nature identical' flavouring, which have the same active ingredients as found in the natural source BUT have been synthesised in a laboratory / manufactured by the chemical industry. Since the active ingredients of a natural flavouring will be a complex mix of chemicals it is unlikely that a nature identical flavour will be an exact match to the brew that is a natural flavouring.

3) 'Synthetic' flavouring, which again are chemicals that are synthesised in a laboratory / manufactured by the chemical industry but that have a subtly different chemical structure to the real thing, i.e. they impart a similar taste as the real thing but at a molecular level they are not the same thing.

Ken

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

As far as descriptions on products are concerned, I always assume:

1. "Vanilla flavoured" would infer your 1) above
2. "Vanilla flavour" would infer either 2) or 3)

But I don't know if this is a hard and fast rule.
Leif

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

It's not a hard and fast rule. In the US, they use different descriptions. It's either "vanilla flavored" or "vanilla flavor".

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

In the UK/EU there will be food labelling laws that define whether a product has 'whatever flavour' or is 'whatever flavoured'. The distinction will depend on the amount of 'whatever' is in the product. For example if chocolate contains less than a defined amount of cocoa mass it can't be labelled as 'chocolate', it has to be labelled 'chocolate flavoured'. I suspect US food labelling laws will be similar.

Ken