Last Edited date in posts?

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Last Edited date in posts?

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Untitled.png
My otherwise excellent one-post thread "I'm trying for a New World Record" was last edited by me on December 1st this year.
Why, then, is it marred by saying that the post was last edited on September 3rd?
Have we reverted to a Julian calendar?
Or something from the Hanseatic League?

I note a count of five edits, which could be correct if I had made a typo-correction within a day or three of the initial post, and then four status reports. :crossfingers:

(signed) "Just curious" of Bonavista.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

HansV
Administrator

Re: Last Edited date in posts?

Post by HansV »

Apparently a bug in the Lounge software.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
16 Dec 2020, 10:47
Apparently a bug in the Lounge software.
Untitled.png
I agree.
Cheers
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm tempted to reply to that thread now... :evilgrin:
Best wishes,
Hans

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

I was temped a while back to reply , then delete the reply quick , just so as to confuse him :evilgrin:
I am having difficulty logging in with this account just now.
You can find me at DocAElstein also

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Doc.AElstein wrote:
16 Dec 2020, 12:22
...just so as to confuse him :evilgrin:
Confuse who? :confused3: :scratch:
Cheers
Chris

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

My thinking was that if I replied and then deleted the reply shortly after, then you might get a notification of a reply which was then found by you not to be there…_
(_... that has happened to me on posts I made and confused me a couple of times.. but then I am easily confused… )

By the way, I think the notification of an Edit is , to a first approximation, that is to say , for an initial period of time ,governed by a rule that no notification of an edit to a post is shown if nobody has replied since that post was made. That’s been my experience.

I don’t have experience with editing a post which has not had a reply a long time after. I would imagine that it is sensible in the case of a long time not answered post to show any edits, but I don’t know if that is how EileensLounge forum software works..

Its most probably a bug … ( or maybe an Admin trying to confuse you … :evilgrin: . :) )

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The admins haven't pulled a prank on Chris!

I was wondering, perhaps Chris is a time traveler. He goes back to the 3rd of September once a month to update his post.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Doc.AElstein wrote:
16 Dec 2020, 13:58
By the way, I think the notification of an Edit is , to a first approximation, that is to say , for an initial period of time ,governed by a rule that no notification of an edit to a post is shown if nobody has replied since that post was made. That’s been my experience.
Hi Doc.
The definition of "notification" is of interest here. I might want to be notified whenever an edit to a post (in a followed thread, of course) appears, whereas you might want to be notified only if an original (new) post is made.
This term "original new post" then needs to be defined. If I CUT the contents of this reply after posting the reply, and then immediately re-reply and PASTE in the cut code and submit that,(which I have done, did you notice? :evilgrin:), is that second submission a "new post" or at least a "new version of a post", or is it, because the text is identical, just a re-submission of the original reply (and hence not really "new" at all)?

There is the spectrum all the way down as far as fixing a typo: If you feel like fixing "ChrisGreeves" to be "ChrisGreaves", no one (for once, not even I!) is going to be upset or concerned whether the fix is in or not. Does a typing correction warrant a notification? What if I change /do/ to /don't/? Does that reversal of logic warrant a notification.

The easiest definition for a notification must be that when a previous post is edited and then re-submitted (as distinct from being abandoned) a notification is sent out, regardless of whether the content changed or not. Thus clicking on the edit symbol (the little right-handed pencil) and then clicking on Submit would warrant a notification.

Whatever the definition of a notification event, then the "edit history" should list every event that warrants a notification, which includes simple typos, write? Er, I mean "right?"

Cheers
Chris

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

I think I probably used the wrong words, and so confused you, ( as I wasn't trying to do, honest :) ),
By the notification of an Edit , I meant that small message at the bottom of the post.
I really should have referred to it as ...
that little message which is an indication and report of the last edit, typically shown at the bottom of the post after someone has edited the post, shown under some circumstances based on certain rules and time constraints not yet fully understood, and most likely not well documanted since it seems that most software engineers long since gave up clearly documenting anything they did, or more than likely forgot what they ever did even before they finished doing it.
( I notice as time goes on that my clarity in posting is suffering as I try to shorten my posts in attempt to please the rest of mankind that is naffed off with my longer, more accurate and explicit postings... )

By the way ( and further by the way , this last bit is an edit, Edit 1 ) , I never noticed ever getting a notification anywhere of an edit in a post... not even at places where I am an Admin. I thought / think it is not usual for anyone to ever get a notification of an edit.
( Edit 2: by notification of an edit in this post I am referring to either an EMail notificaion or some message up there by the bell Notification or somewhere else in some user control panel place or similar )

Some people in some places can see edit histories, which may or may not incude all the previous versions - at some places that extra insight is restricted to Admins / Mods, some place "normal" people can also see such history infomation

I must have edited this post a dozen times in the meantime for typos and a few other things.... I dont yet see a little message which is an indication and report of the last edit, typically shown at the bottom of the post after someone has edited the post, shown under some circumstances based on certain rules and time constraints not yet fully understood, and ...............

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Doc.AElstein wrote:
16 Dec 2020, 16:22
I think I probably used the wrong words, and so confused you,
Not at all.
I backed off and defined "Notification" as a means of establishing a device that could be allied with the term "Edit".
I figured that "Notification" was easier to define clearly than "Edit", but with "Notification" defined, defining an "Edit" became easier.
I am sorry that I confused you!
Cheers
Chris

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
16 Dec 2020, 18:07
...I am sorry that I confused you!
I have been in a permanent state of , at least semi , confusion for as long as I can remember, Chris. I doubt you made it much worse, Lol..

Alan
:)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
16 Dec 2020, 09:59
I note a count of five edits, ...
(This morning) I note that when I delete a post that is the sole post in a thread (I posted the text and no one had yet replied), my post count dropped by one immediately; so the "Posts:" display appears to be on the ball.

(Friday 18th Dec) And today I note that if I Submit a post, then notice a typo ( replace "i" with "I" ) and correct it and resubmit it, that seems not to count as an edit. Perhaps because no-one has had time the read or even to reply to my post.

Cheers
Chris
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on 18 Dec 2020, 23:40, edited 1 time in total.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

HansV wrote:
16 Dec 2020, 14:18

I was wondering, perhaps Chris is a time traveler. He goes back to the 3rd of September once a month to update his post.
Bit like leaving the Earth faster than the speed of light and returning before you have left :flee:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
16 Dec 2020, 14:18
I'm busy right now, but I'll make a full reply last week. :laugh:
Cheers
Chris

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

I'll vote on time travel, how else would we explain this. Does this mean that you have read all books and listened to all pod-casts, Chris, or have you really used time travel to manage to squeeze in some time to bug hunt the lounge software, a high priority project no doubt.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus wrote:
18 Dec 2020, 06:59
I'll vote on time travel, how else would we explain this. Does this mean that you have read all books ...
Not at all, Argus. You are getting confused (Please form a line behind Doc.AElstein) The books idea is my goal for this life: To not shuffle off this mortal coil until I have read every book that has ever been published.
... have you really used time travel to manage to squeeze in some time ...
Neither. After battling two Insurance Companies (hence on two fronts) for six weeks, I called in the lawyers Tuesday morning at 10:15. That has not only cut down the time I spend dialing eleven-digit (yes!) extension numbers and waiting for phone calls to be returned, but has placed my money-making project back on solid grounds. The lawyer is charged with applying MiniMax theory to find a saddle point for (a) amount of settlement and (b) date/time that a Bank Draft is in my hands (as distinct from "in the mail"). I turned Jim loose with those instructions while telling him that I was paying him to get the job done; that he had all the facts, and that, nice as he was, I didn't want to hear from him again until the date HE fixed for delivery of the $$$$.

This works!
Over the past two days I have made the best two batches of orange, then grapefruit marmalade i have ever made in my life, and one of them was a custom order for a local gourmet cook! A first for me :clapping:

Cheers
Chris