Stop downloading emails from POP/SMTP account

jmt356
SilverLounger

Stop downloading emails from POP/SMTP account

Post by jmt356 »

I have a POP/SMTP email account set up on Outlook. I no longer want to download emails to that account whenever I click Send/Receive email. If I go to Account Settings and select the account and click on Remove, will I lose all of my downloaded emails? I do not want to lose the downloaded emails; I just do not want to download emails going forward.
Regards,

JMT

Leif
Administrator

Re: Stop downloading emails from POP/SMTP account

Post by Leif »

I think the simplest method would be to simply exclude it from downloading.

Send / Receive tab >
Send / Receive Groups >
You should see all the email accounts listed and can select which ones are included in Send / Receive.

Otherwise, I do not believe you will lose your data - if you open the account settings window and select the email account, you can see the associated data file. Open File Location will take you directly to the folder and allow you to make a backup for safety.
Leif

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

When I go to Send / Receive ribbon | Send / Receive groups, I don't see an option to choose which accounts are included in Send / Receive. I only see each account selected. I would like to be able to download emails from all of my accounts except for the one POP/SMTP account, but I do not want to have to choose all of the accounts individually each time I download my email.

I am concerned that if I Remove the POP/SMTP account in Settings, I will lose the emails. I once removed an Exchange account from the Account Settings and Outlook immediately removed all of my emails.
Regards,

JMT

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Change the outgoing protocol from POP to IMAP - assuming your ISP supports IMAP.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

From the Send / Receive tab select Send / Receive Groups
On the drop down menu select Define Send/Receive Groups
On the next dialog box select All Accounts and click Edit
On the next dialog select the account you don't want to download and clear "Include the selected account in this group"
OK your way out of all the dialog boxes
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Stuart, that worked. Thanks!
Regards,

JMT