Differential backups are forced in ShadowProtect SPX

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Re: Differential backups are forced in ShadowProtect SPX

Post by BobArch2 »

HansV wrote:Welcome back home!
Thanks Hans, the main thing that suffered, aside from the right arm, are my taste buds from eating 33 days of hospital food. :hairout:
Regards,
Bob

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Stay safe, and enjoy the home-cooked food!
Best wishes,
Hans

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

HansV wrote:Stay safe, and enjoy the home-cooked food!
That's a given :thumbup:
Regards,
Bob

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Time for an update. Last week I had a single differential which I believe was related to updates to iTunes and iCloud which had been problematic in the past.

A Storagecraft Tech had called me the week before and we arranged for him to do a remote connection to my system to make some slight changes that he thought might resolve the differential issues. He performed the remote access on Monday April 6th and installed 4 new files as noted below. Since that time I have had 4 scheduled incrementals and 4 unscheduled incrementals. All went as expected without any issues.

To me, the big test should be this coming Tuesday when MS releases its monthly cumulative update. I'll do the update on Tuesday afternoon and power down the system Tuesday evening. If SPX performs a proper scheduled incremental Wednesday morning then we can consider the patches worked.

Stay tuned for a report next Wednesday.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Bob

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

In my last update I said I would report back on Wednesday, April 15, 2020 concerning the incremental/differential issue after a Windows 10 Cumulative update. I lied. But in my defence, how was I expected to know that the move to a new host would be undertaken that week! :hairout:

I am happy to report that not a single differential has occurred since April 6th. Cumulative updates were processed on April 14th and 15th. There have also been 12 updates to other applications without any issues. Which included updates to iTunes and iCloud which had been problematic.

The 4 files that the Storagecraft Tech replaced on April 6th seemed to have done the trick.

Hopefully the next feature release of Windows 10 (2004) will not mess up the environment.
Regards,
Bob

MSanFilippo
NewLounger

Post by MSanFilippo »

Hey Bob.

Are you able to send those files to me by chance?

Have you had any more issues?

We are experiencing the exact same thing on multiple systems.

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Good morning,

I could send those files but have a couple of concerns. 1) they are related to the version of SPX that I am running ... not sure if our versions are the same. 2) not sure if it is legal to share SPX files in accordance with the StorageCraft's license.

Having said that, the StorageCraft tech was very fast in responding as I have a maintenance agreement. I gave them remote access clearance and with their help got the issue resolved.

I might suggest that you contact StorageCraft for technical support. They are very supportive.

In answer to your last question, I have not had a single instance of a differential backup in months.
Regards,
Bob

MSanFilippo
NewLounger

Post by MSanFilippo »

Appreciate it. I am going to reach out to StorageCraft about it.

Do you by chance have a ticket number that you were given I can reference so the tech can look through it?

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

StorageCraft have indicated that they are aware of the problem as indicated in this Support message. The resolution will be made when they release v7 of SPX with a new snapshot driver.

I checked the version numbers of the old and new snapshot drivers that tech support dealt with months ago. The old snapshot driver was v3.75.94.0 while the one they installed is shown as v99.9.163.3497. The version number of the new driver indicates to me that it is a "test" driver ... which corrected the problem, at least for me.

I would suggest that you open up a support request with StorageCraft, explaining your differential problem and that in a recent support posting (as indicated above) they said a new driver has been developed and will be included in v7 of SPX. The obvious question being, "when is v7 going to be released". :grin:
Regards,
Bob

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

MSanFilippo wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 14:31
Do you by chance have a ticket number that you were given I can reference so the tech can look through it?
I don't think it's a good idea to share ticket numbers. Better start a new request, as Bob has suggested.
Best wishes,
Hans

MSanFilippo
NewLounger

Post by MSanFilippo »

All good! Yep - my driver version is 3.75.94.0 also, sounds like that should solve it as long as they get me those files ;-)

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

MSanFilippo wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 19:13
All good! Yep - my driver version is 3.75.94.0 also, sounds like that should solve it as long as they get me those files ;-)
Hopefully they will release SPX v7 soon. You could always try to get them via tech support.

Good luck, and welcome to The Lounge.
Regards,
Bob

jbreitwieser
NewLounger

Post by jbreitwieser »

Hi - Glad this is resolved.
And yes...SPX7 is in the works.
Stay tuned.
:)

If you ever need help w/ anything, don't hesitate to contact me directly.
We're always doing our best to help.

Thanks,
Jock Breitwieser
Sr. Dir. MarCom at StorageCraft
jock DOT breitwieser AT storagecraft DOT com