How to View .PDF Files

BillW
3StarLounger

How to View .PDF Files

Post by BillW »

If I receive a file with the pdf extension as an email attachment how can I read it without printing it? If I just double-click it all the codes are displayed and it is unreadable.

Thanks,
BillW

HansV
Administrator

Re: How to View .PDF Files

Post by HansV »

Which application opens the PDF file when you double-click it?
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

BillW wrote:If I receive a file with the pdf extension... ...how can I read it without printing it?
You need a PDF reader application. There are lots to chose from ranging from the original Abobe Reader, through numerous third party dedicated PDF readers like Foxit to built-in viewers within Internet browsers, e.g. Firefox.

Ken

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Sumatra is another, free, stand-alone .pdf reader (website sumatrapdfreader.org) - recommended to me in the Lounge (by Hans, I think) many moons ago. Have used it ever since.
Regards,
Keith

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Sumatra has the downsides of being
a) yellow
b) not having enough buttons to Do Useful Things, but hiding them away under "Ctrl+" key sequences, requiring reference to the manual

"Being yellow" can be fixed!

PS I am patiently waiting for the move of Eileen's Lounge to a New Server!
Presumably we will also have to wait patiently for the DNS information to propagate after the move?
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The move will probably start soon today. DNS propagation is a lot faster nowadays than in the noughties. :crossfingers:
Best wishes,
Hans

BrownLuther007
NewLounger

Post by BrownLuther007 »

If you are using gmail, then you can open the PDF from clicking on it. without downloading and printing.

BillW
3StarLounger

Post by BillW »

Thanks,

I don't normally use Gmail but I will try using that technique in my FastMail account and see if it also works there. I imagine it does but I no longer have a PDF file to try it on!

Thanks,
Bill Wilson

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

When I click a PDF attachment in Fastmail (using Firefox browser), it opens the PDF file in Firefox, this is odd because I have configured Firefox to use my PDF editor for opening PDF files, and that is what happens when I clock a PDF in other browser windows
StuartR