CCleaner - command line - delete cookies

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

CCleaner - command line - delete cookies

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I am doing something wrong (again) I fear.
Acer Laptop Win10-2004; CCleaner v5.66.7716 (64 bit).

When I run CCleaner manually, I choose Options, Cookies, and then choose the Custom Clean option and the cookies are GONE! This is good.

I read through https://www.ccleaner.com/docs/ccleaner/advanced-usage/command-line-parameters and in a CMD prompt (Administrator) used the line

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner64.exe" /Auto
This ran in the blink of an eye, but then I expected that; I figured that the data was already loaded into memory from my manual efforts.
I re-ran manually and the cookies are still there; I exited CCleaner.
I ran the command

"C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner64.exe" /EXPERT
in the hopes that exporting the three INI files might result in action, and immediately ran

"C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner64.exe" /Auto
I re-ran manually and the cookies are still there; I exited.

I have not tried the /Delete parameter because I am not interested in deleting files from the command line; just cookies.
Untitled.png
The INI file exists and has a list of cookies-to-save.
I saw nothing in the INI file tips to suggest further actions/settings.

If anyone knows how to delete cookies from the command line I’d be grateful for tips.

Thanks
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

harveysjeffreys1
NewLounger

Re: CCleaner - command line - delete cookies

Post by harveysjeffreys1 »

Why do you use Ccleaner? Maybe it will be better to try any other optimizer. As I know Ccleaner is not as good as two-three years ago. Maybe start with some other optimizers such as Iobit, DefenceByte, Wise Care 365, or any others.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

harveysjeffreys1 wrote:
14 Aug 2020, 22:08
Why do you use Ccleaner? Maybe it will be better to try any other optimizer. As I know Ccleaner is not as good as two-three years ago. Maybe start with some other optimizers such as Iobit, DefenceByte, Wise Care 365, or any others.
I am going to search for your 2 suggestions and read up on them.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Wise Care 365 seems like a good product. Does anyone here use and can recommend it? Not sure why it is mentioned that Ccleaner is not as good as it used to be. Maybe I just don't use all its capabilities to know the difference.
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

:hmmn: Superficially DefenceByte looks good, it certainly gets lots of good reviews on Trustpilot but having actually looked the reviews the good ones feel fake. The reviews that give lots of detail are the bad ones and they imply it's a more of a scam than a worthwhile product. Given that and the fact I'd never heard of any of these products I'd be very cautious about using any of them. Especially if they cost money, and if the bad reviews of DefenseBytes are to be believed that one could cost a lot of money.

I've used the free version of Ccleaner for years and years and never had any trouble with it. I'd like some hard evidence to support to statement
Ccleaner is not as good as two-three years ago
before I'd ditch it.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Warning: I don't trust harveysjeffreys1 - he originally had a link to a site with very dubious software reviews.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Rudi (I think) and I use the GlarySoft utilities. Since CCleaner changed its user interface, I've not used it but on the rare occasion.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

HansV wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 18:12
Warning: I don't trust harveysjeffreys1 - he originally had a link to a site with very dubious software reviews.
So my unease is justified. Thanks for the warning.

Ken

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

WOW I'm glad I asked first. I didn't like DefenceByte because where I found it there was no free version to try. I sure had no idea of the rest of this information.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

BobH wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 18:16
Rudi (I think) and I use the GlarySoft utilities. Since CCleaner changed its user interface, I've not used it but on the rare occasion.
Now I must look up another one. LOL
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

stuck wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 18:03
:hmmn: Superficially DefenceByte looks good, it certainly gets lots of good reviews on Trustpilot but having actually looked the reviews the good ones feel fake. The reviews that give lots of detail are the bad ones and they imply it's a more of a scam than a worthwhile product. Given that and the fact I'd never heard of any of these products I'd be very cautious about using any of them. Especially if they cost money, and if the bad reviews of DefenseBytes are to be believed that one could cost a lot of money.

I've used the free version of Ccleaner for years and years and never had any trouble with it. I'd like some hard evidence to support to statement
Ccleaner is not as good as two-three years ago
before I'd ditch it.

Ken
Thanks I feel the same since I have had no problems either, at least that I know of.
Regards,
hlewton

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I'd be interested if anyone could point to a technical and factual report of any real (rather than supposed) advantages gained by the use of CCleaner in Windows 10 with modern hardware, as opposed to glorious inaction...
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 18:16
Hi Bob.
I d/l and installed Glary Utilities 5.148.0.174; it does a lot of cleanup, but I find no mention of Cookies management.

(1) Is there cookies management in there somewhere
(2) Have you "cracked" a command-line interface?

This Google Search https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... mmand+line found results,
but the first three results were not fruitful.
http://feedback.glarysoft.com/forums/20 ... ual-module
http://startups.glarysoft.com/Command%2 ... xe/353506/
http://processes.glarysoft.com/cmd.exe/3743/

Thanks
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 08:29
I'd be interested if anyone could point to a technical and factual report of any real (rather than supposed) advantages gained by the use of CCleaner in Windows 10 with modern hardware, as opposed to glorious inaction...
Hello John.
If I understand you, your suggestion is that space freed up, registry compacted etc has little impact on the day to day running of Win10 on suitable hardware.
I won't argue with that. ( ... here. :evilgrin:)

I started using CCleaner for cookies management, and that leans towards privacy issues, which, to me, are separate from system performance issues.

I note with increasing concern that I find here no one who suggests that the documented batch mode for CCleaner might work!

Cheers
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 08:29
Hello John.
If I understand you, your suggestion is that space freed up, registry compacted etc has little impact on the day to day running of Win10 on suitable hardware.
I won't argue with that. ( ... here. :evilgrin:)

I started using CCleaner for cookies management, and that leans towards privacy issues, which, to me, are separate from system performance issues.

I note with increasing concern that I find here no one who suggests that the documented batch mode for CCleaner might work!
The thread https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52229-command-line-auto-parameter-not-working/ suggests a bug in version 5.4 of CCleaner, but that 5.43 still works (for /Auto switch in command-line)
I have 5.26 which I might retrofit, and then go hunting for 5.44. FWIW I have installed 5.66.7716 at the moment.

Cheers
Chris
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on 19 Aug 2020, 10:31, edited 2 times in total.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I also use ccleaner for privacy purposes. I just run it manually once a week or so to clean out all temporary files, cookies, MRU lists etc.
StuartR

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

StuartR wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 10:42
I also use ccleaner for privacy purposes. I just run it manually once a week or so to clean out all temporary files, cookies, MRU lists etc.
Thanks Stuart.
I rather liked the idea of a quick-batch clean for times when i am training CCleaner with cookies.
For example: I go to a site (banking is a good example), and find myself logging in, yet again. Back out of there, one-click to batch clean out cookies, then reenter the banking site, do my business and back out.
Then immediately enter CCleaner in manual mode to move the two or three cookies across to the exclusion pane.

This is not a critical issue. Indeed i am now of the view that 5.44 and on are flawed wrt the /Auto parameter.
I still have to de- and re-install to a lower version to see if that helps.
Cheers
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

(later) CAUTION!
My series of re-installs did, of course, delete my set of safe cookies-to-keep.

ChrisGreaves wrote:
31 Jul 2020, 11:03
I am doing something wrong (again) I fear.
Untitled.png
I uninstalled Version 566.
Version 526 would not install on this Acer laptop/Win10-2004.
Version 551 appeared not to work.
Version 560 appeared to work.

I write "appeared" because I have a nagging suspicion that sometimes the left-hand pane is not filled instantly; that there is a slight delay.

I shall use 560 for a week or so and report back.
Cheers
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on 28 Aug 2020, 13:10, edited 1 time in total.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Re managing cookies in GlarySoft:
The left-most screen is invoked from the Advanced Tools tab on the initital screen thus . . .
Track eraser - cookies--options2.jpg
Click Options, and then check the cookies you want to keep.

Here are some articles on how to use Glary Utilities to optimize PC:
feedback.glarysoft.com/knowledgebase/articles/all
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 18:31
Re managing cookies in GlarySoft:
Hi Bob,
I installed Glarysoft but had little success with it.
Given that my main gripe about CCleaner is its non-functional /Auto switch (at least in my bailiwick), I have decided to put up with it.
I was too naive with GlarySoft and it wiped out all my cookies from the get-go before I knew enough (but Thank You!) to preserve them.
The most annoying aspect of GlarySoft was its daily nagging screen that I should upgrade, before I'd had a chance to really try it out.
I reserve the right to come back and try it again, once the dust has settled here! :grin:
Thanks again.
Cheers
Chris