Outlook Reminders

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Outlook Reminders

Post by hlewton »

There have been a few occurrences lately where my reminders for upcoming events have been disabled. The event is till there but I am not getting the reminder. I use Office 365 64 Bit version so I assume it is Outlook 2016. I have had to click on the event, open the series, and choose the reminder I want over again.

Any ideas why this would be happening? Any ideas how to stop it from happening?

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Outlook Reminders

Post by HansV »

You have Outlook 2019 - that is the current version of Office in Microsoft 365.
Do you mean that the reminder is actually set to None when you open the appointment?

S3472.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 12:40
You have Outlook 2019 - that is the current version of Office in Microsoft 365.
Do you mean that the reminder is actually set to None when you open the appointment?

S3472.png
Yes it sets itself to None please see attachment. I do believe that what I have set up about 6 years ago is an all day event and until recently the reminders always worked.

How do I tell Outlook's version. I thought it was 2016 and I thought the writing inside the red box in second attachment was how it was identified.
Reminder.jpg
Outlook Version.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The version is confusing - Microsoft hasn't changed the internal version number from Office 2016 to Office 2019, they both begin with 16.0. I have the non-365 version of Office 2019. As you can see it is the same version and build number that you have:

S3473.png
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Just to make sure (it's probably already on):

- Select File > Options.
- Select Advanced in the left-hand pane.
- Check whether the 'Show reminders' check box has been ticked.

S3474.png
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 13:35
Just to make sure (it's probably already on):

- Select File > Options.
- Select Advanced in the left-hand pane.
- Check whether the 'Show reminders' check box has been ticked.

S3474.png
Yep it is set exactly as your attachment shows. As I mentioned, this particular all day event was established about 6 years ago and never failed to remind me until recently.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I forgot to ask, do you still think I am using the 2019 version of Office? I don't recall seeing any recent Office updates that would have been large enough to change Office 365. Or would that update not have been noticeable? By doing a search of the WEB I do see that 2019 is the latest version of Office 365 but wouldn't I have seen an update that would have updated from 2016 to 2019? Maybe they aren't noticeable and I would never have known I was using version 2019 unless you mentioned it. I do recall recently Outlook putting its search bar at the top of Outlook and it was never there before. Do you suppose that is when I went from 2016 to 2019 version?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You have Microsoft 365 aka Office 365, and the version number in your screenshot shows that you are on the Current Channel (i.e. new updates are installed immediately) and that you are fully up-to-date: that version was released on August 11, 2020. So you definitely have the Office 2019 version of the Office apps.

If I remember correctly, it isn't all that long ago you moved to Microsoft 365, so you have probably had the Office 2019 versions of the apps since then. Office 2019 was first released in September of 2018.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You can try the following:

- Quit Outlook.
- Press Windows key+R to activate the Run dialog.
- Type outlook /cleanreminders and press Enter or click OK.

This should re-generate all reminders.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 14:05
You have Microsoft 365 aka Office 365, and the version number in your screenshot shows that you are on the Current Channel (i.e. new updates are installed immediately) and that you are fully up-to-date: that version was released on August 11, 2020. So you definitely have the Office 2019 version of the Office apps.

If I remember correctly, it isn't all that long ago you moved to Microsoft 365, so you have probably had the Office 2019 versions of the apps since then. Office 2019 was first released in September of 2018.
I have had Office 365 for at least 4 or 5 years now. I think it was Bob who told me about it when I was looking to update from Office 2003 and on on machine from Office 2010.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 14:10
You can try the following:

- Quit Outlook.
- Press Windows key+R to activate the Run dialog.
- Type outlook /cleanreminders and press Enter or click OK.

This should re-generate all reminders.
Hans, I am a little scared to do this since you said "This should re-generate all reminders." Does that mean there is a chance it will delete all reminders?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

No, it should not delete reminders, but instead fix anomalies.

But if you want to be on the safe side, make a backup copy of your .pst/.ost file(s) before running that command.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 14:46

But if you want to be on the safe side, make a backup copy of your .pst/.ost file(s) before running that command.
I will do that. I imagine that after I run that command I can check that weekly reminder to see if the reminder notification is OK, can't I?
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

hlewton wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 15:06
HansV wrote:

I will do that. I imagine that after I run that command I can check that weekly reminder to see if the reminder notification is OK, can't I?
Well I ran it and it seems the reminders are there. I just hope they remain there and continue to work cause my old brain needs all the help it can get. Thanks again.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

:thumbup: :crossfingers:
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

hlewton wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 15:06
HansV wrote:

Well I ran it and it seems the reminders are there. I just hope they remain there and continue to work cause my old brain needs all the help it can get. Thanks again.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I know we discussed this before but I would have hoped MS would have found a fix by now but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

When I have an appointment of any kind, I have my wife send me a meeting notice from her Outlook calendar so we have it on both of our calendars so neither of us misses any appointment. I also have her send me her appointments, so they too are on my calendar. The only option Outlook seems to offer is a meeting notice for these appointments. When they are accepted on my calendar, even though when she sent them, the reminder was set at 2 days (the Outlook default I set for reminders), they default to 15 minutes on my calendar and I have to reset them to 2 days.

However, if she sends me an all-day event it remains at the 2-day reminder even after I accept it on my calendar. I wish MS could fix the meeting notices to do the same.
Regards,
hlewton