Number formatting / headings styles / issues with automatic format

FrecklePaw
2StarLounger

Number formatting / headings styles / issues with automatic format

Post by FrecklePaw »

I'm using number formatting with headings styles and for some reason even although the numbering is 'greyed out', it doesn't automatically produce the next number on a new line, e.g. as per attached, when I hit enter I don't automatically get 1.3.4. - I get nothing! Why is this? How can I correct it?
:thankyou: FP :kitty:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Number formatting / headings styles / issues with automatic format

Post by HansV »

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge!

By default, if you press Enter at the end of a paragraph set to a heading style such as Heading 1, the next paragraph will be set to the Normal style, so the next paragraph will not be numbered.

S3461.png

The moment you apply a heading style to the new paragraph (press Ctrl+Alt+1 for Heading 1, Ctrl+Alt+2 for Heading 2 etc.), the paragraph will be numbered.
Alternatively, if you want to create several heading paragraphs in succession, switch to Outline view (using the View tab of the ribbon).
In Outline view, pressing Enter creates a new paragraph in the same heading style, and you can use Tab/Shift+Tab to demote/promote the paragraph to a different level.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

If I am adding lots of headings to a document, all at the same level, then I
  • Add a space at the end of the first heading
  • Use the backarrow to move the cursor just before the space
  • Press enter to create a new heading style paragraph
  • Add more headings by entering the text and pressing enter - the extra space is already in the right place
  • When I finish entering headings, I delete the extra space and press enter to get a normal paragraph
StuartR

FrecklePaw
2StarLounger

Post by FrecklePaw »

Thanks to you both - I have changed the 'Style for next paragraph' as I also want the person collaborating with me to be able to easily hit enter and get a new number on the next line.

However, I've noticed when I do this now the numbered heading wants to create a new page for itself, leaving a big blank space between the level 2 numbering and pushes the level 3 numbering onto a new page. How do I stop it from doing this?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

So Heading 3 starts on a new page?
Right-click Heading 3 in the Styles gallery, and select Modify... from the context menu.
Select Format > Paragraph... at the bottom of the dialog.

S3463.png

Activate the Line and Page Breaks tab of the Paragraph dialog.
Make sure that the check box 'Page break before' is clear (not ticked).

S3464.png

It it already was clear, the 'Keep with next' setting might force Heading 3 to a new page.
Best wishes,
Hans

Charles Kenyon
4StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

The keep with next can do this if you are trying to create a lengthy list rather than a heading.

I would hope that you set up your numbering following Shauna Kelly's instructions http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numberi ... 72010.html. You can use body text level styles or custom styles.