Insane Bluetooth keyboard connection problem

Cah
3StarLounger

Insane Bluetooth keyboard connection problem

Post by Cah »

I really dislike wireless pc connections but am in the situation where I need to use a blue tooth keyboard with a Win 10 machine. All was fine until recently and now the keyboard goes from paired to connected after about five minutes of not using it. At this point I have to remove the device and then repair it again to get it to work. This is quite frustrating.

I've checked all the settings I can find including the power option to make sure that W10 won't "power down" the keyboard. I deleted the drivers and stopped and restarted the bluetooth service but it still doing it. W10 hasn't been allowed to update (the machine has no internet connection where it is based). Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this paired insanity! As far as I can tell "paired" means "I know you are there - go away!". Thanks.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Insane Bluetooth keyboard connection problem

Post by JoeP »

Which WIndows 10 version? Is it up-to-date with patches? Have you checked for new bluetooth drivers? Have you checked for any keyboard updates?
Joe

Cah
3StarLounger

Post by Cah »

Thanks for the reply. It wasn't up-to-date because it wasn't online. I took it online to check the keyboard driver. Windows reported that it is using the best driver. Windows won't update nor will the Media Creation Tool work -unknown error. The machine is currently running build 10586. The keyboard falls into paired mode if I don't keep pressing a key every 20 seconds or so. Once in paired mode it won't work.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I avoided answering before, in the hope that someone would have a constructive reply.

In my experience bluetooth is not reliable on Windows PCs, I have had so many problems that I never use bluetooth devices on Windows any more.
StuartR

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Windows driver updates are unreliable and still often offer older drivers. You'd be better off going to the vendor site to check for a newer driver. Start with the PC vendor then the bluetooth keyboard hardware vendor.

Build 10586 is out of service. The last update was April 2018. The original release was November 2015 with cumulative updates until 2018. If you want a more current version of Windows 10 a clean install may be required. Just make sure you have a good, full, working backup of the system before you try the upgrade.
Joe

Cah
3StarLounger

Post by Cah »

Thanks for the replies. Any suggestions for how to do a clean install? In the past I have used the Media Creation Tool but that won't work.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Did you create a bootable thumb drive? Will the PC boot from a usb device?
Joe