use a (recent) Canon camer as a webcam

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

use a (recent) Canon camer as a webcam

Post by stuck »

If like me, you are one of the few people on the planet without a webcam and at the moment are unable to buy a webcam because everybody else on the planet thought about buying a webcam before you did BUT you do have a recent Canon camera then all might not be lost because on 28 April 2020 Canon released some magic:
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/port ... -utility/

It's only a Beta release and it's for only some recent Canon cameras but for me it's been fine. I downloaded the (small) .msi installer, ran it, plugged my camera into the PC using a USB cable, opened Skype and Skype recognised the camera.

:thankyou: Canon :thumbup:

Ken

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: use a (recent) Canon camer as a webcam

Post by Rudi »

Even though it makes sense (technically) that this could be done, its actually has a 'wow!' factor to it.

Well done Canon for coming up with this option, (seeing a niche in the market to assist people in these extraordinary times).

TX for sharing Ken!
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Yes, it's a bit surreal using a £lots&lots DSLR as a mere webcam when a £25 one by Logitech would be more than adequate.

On the plus side, the boys did appreciate seeing my wife and I in glorious HD :grin:

On the downside, using the DSLR as a webcam eats battery pretty quickly. Also on the downside, there's only room for one chair in front of the PC in our study so while it was cosy sharing it with my wife, it was also very uncomfortable after about 20 mins. No, I don't have a (portable) device we could use on the comfort of our sofa.

Ken

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

You could point the camera to your lounge area and use a 500mm zoom lens to get you neatly in the frame.... :laugh:
Regards,
Rudi

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Nice idea but then the microphone would be too far away so the boys wouldn't hear us, plus we'd need binoculars to see them on the screen, oh and we'd have to spin the sofa through 180degrees to see out of the living room door, across the hall and into the study :laugh:

Ken

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hmmm!
I think lame bottoms will be a better choice for now. :tongue: :laugh:

Good luck.
Regards,
Rudi