Windows Defender Icon Not Showing In Systray

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Windows Defender Icon Not Showing In Systray

Post by hlewton »

I installed a new network card and now I do not see the Windows Defender Icon in the systray any longer. By opening it up under the Update & Security tab of Setting it sure seems to be running. I tried to find help on the NET and found this "To display the Windows Defender icon in Windows notification area (system tray), go to Tools and select Options under the Settings section. Scroll down the Options page, at the section of “Real-time protection options”, there is an option “Choose when the Windows Defender icon appears in notification area“. By default the selected option is “Only if Windows Defender detects an action to take”, which means the icon will only appear if there is any action by Windows Defender. To always show the Windows Defender icon, select (check) “Always“. Click on Save when done."

I don't know where this Tools they mention can be found. I have opened Windows Defender looked at its settings and see no Tools anywhere not even after selecting Settings. How can I get Windows Defender to once again be displayed in the Systray?
Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows Defender Icon Not Showing In Systray

Post by HansV »

Windows Defender is the name in older versions of Windows. In Windows 10, it is named Windows Security.
Do you see the Windows Security icon if you click the ^ on the left hand side of the notification area?
S3194.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

No it's not there. I have pulled it down from there to the Systray before but now I can't see it anywhere yet I am pretty sure it is running because when I opened it up, like I described above, I was able to run a scan.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks Hans but I have looked at these and all seems to be well except the icon still doesn't show. Please see attachments.
Windows Security.jpg
Security 2.jpg
I just can't figure this out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

What happens if you turn one of these off, then on again? (For the one in Startup, you'd have to restart Windows to see the effect, if any)
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:What happens if you turn one of these off, then on again? (For the one in Startup, you'd have to restart Windows to see the effect, if any)
I just did that and now the icon is there. Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton