End of Win7 updates

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: End of Win7 updates

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:Enjoy them while they last...
Will do!

(They usually last a minimum of four hours :rofl: :laugh: )
Cheers
Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

jonwallace wrote:Unless you desperately need software that only runs under Windows, then pick a Linux distro and run that. Linux is perfectly capable for general browsing and social interaction.
And while I've never tried it, I believe you can use Wine to run many Windows applications.
When there's Excel for Linux, then...
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

jonwallace wrote:Unless you desperately need software that only runs under Windows, then pick a Linux distro and run that. Linux is perfectly capable for general browsing and social interaction.
And while I've never tried it, I believe you can use Wine to run many Windows applications.
Would do if possible, John; have been using different distros in VMs for a decade or more, and tried different versions since some 20+ years. But one of the banks I use (and just about everything else) need an electronic ID (plus some 2FA, other banks use separate devices as 2FA an thus no e-ID), and those behind the electronic ID stopped the development of Linux versions in 2014.

(Then there's the rest: Office software and email client; but that's nothing compared to above.)

Ah, but there's a mobile version of aforementioned electronic ID, and you can then use your mobile in combination with a browser on your computer (running any OS). I've despised this mobile version for quite some time; then I would need to keep my mobile updated and secure, and we all know how frequent and good updates are for Android ...
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

PJ_in_FL wrote: When there's Excel for Linux, then...
There's always LibreOffice unless it's actually VBA for linux you need, then of course you need Windows and Microsoft Office.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Roderunner wrote:Hi Folks, after doing the 4 updates on both my win7 pc's my wallpaper disappeared leaving a white background.
Where I live we call it "a blizzard" :laugh: :rofl: Cheers Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Roderunner wrote:Hi Folks, after doing the 4 updates on both my win7 pc's my wallpaper disappeared leaving a white background.
Might this help?

(Just received via How-To-Geek]
Regards,
Bob

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Microsoft has acknowledged the problem with KB4534310. It occurs if your background picture is set to Stretch. If you change this to Fill, Fit, Tile or Center, the problem should go away.
So I recommend re-installing KB4534310 and then to test the above suggestion.

See January 14, 2020—KB4534310 (Monthly Rollup), section Known issues in this update.
Best wishes,
Hans

Amelia43
StarLounger

Post by Amelia43 »

Roderunner wrote:
HansV wrote:It turns out that others are complaining about this too. See if 1-15-2020 Windows 7 update removes permissions for wallpaper fix (black wallpaper fix) helps
Do you know the KB number to delete, your link is very small with no sound.
Microsoft is releasing a fix (to fix the problem it caused!)
https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/27/2108 ... port-patch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks!
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

I don't TRUST Microsoft at all anymore. I'll keep the Stretch option off the table ( disabled ) for now. :evilgrin: :flee:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

viking33 wrote:...I don't TRUST Microsoft at all anymore. .... :evilgrin: :flee:
Wise decision.
.. slightly off topic.. but quite interesting in terms of the TRUSTing Microsoft part.. I have been getting clued up reading just about everything I can find on Windows 10 for a few weeks.. I stumbled on this guy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGcerfVqYyU&t=136s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; A career long Microsoft Windows guy, he has gone totally off Microsoft because of Windows 10.
Some of his Windows 10 Tutorials make very interesting watching.. I may take his advice and radically cut back and “de bloat” my Windows 10 installation
I am having difficulty logging in with this account just now.
You can find me at DocAElstein also

Nick Vittum
4StarLounger

Post by Nick Vittum »

I love my laptop, which has served me well for many years, and other than minor maintenance issues like a new hard drive and a new fan, it has given me no trouble. But I've tried installing Win10 on it several times, and always failed. I don't want a new 'puter and can't afford one anyway. I'm wondering how important upgrading really is. I've just turned off updates.
I've been wondering about Linux, but I know almost nothing about it. Is it true that it's more secure? I don't want to give up Excel and Word, and hope to get back into Access as well. But are you saying there's a way to run them on Linux? And if I had to go to other, Linux-friendly versions, would VBA be out the window?
—Nick

I’m only an egg (but hard-boiled)

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

I am not one of the more experienced people here, so I only pick up superficial information from the internet and what others say in forums etc… .
But over the last couple of months one of my little projects has been to get familiar with Windows 10 , as I finally got around to getting a Windows 10 computer in my family.
It has ( and is ) taken me much, much longer than I expected. Windows 10 appears to be a beast that is difficult to tame.
I won’t make any other comments, - I will leave that here to people who know better what they are talking about.

But I would recommend that you spend some time watching the YouTube videos from this guy.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg6gPG ... 1vaFCAsvmQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check out in particular both his Windows 10 and Linux stuff. You might need a month or more . But might be worth it

He was a successful Windows career bloke who has some of the most popular windows 10 Tutorials , but who , reluctantly, because of Windows 10, has turned his back on Microsoft and has moved over to Linux
Last edited by Doc.AElstein on 27 Feb 2020, 15:26, edited 2 times in total.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access etc.) and VBA don't run on Linux.

LibreOffice is free, it runs on Windows and on Linux, and it offers a word processor and spreadsheet program that are to a large extent compatible with Word and Excel. No VBA though, and its database application is not directly compatible with Access.
Best wishes,
Hans

Nick Vittum
4StarLounger

Post by Nick Vittum »

Thank you, Hans. THat was what I suspected. And didn't want to hear :sad:
Doc.AElstein wrote:... I would recommend that you spend some time watching the YouTube videos from this guy.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg6gPG ... 1vaFCAsvmQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check out in particular both his Windows 10 and Linux stuff. You might need a month or more . But might be worth it
Thanks, Doctor. I'll check the guy out. I'll see if he has anything written online first. My mental processing is such that I never watch something if there's the option to read it instead. But one way or the other, I'll check him out.

I actually had Windows 10 up and running on my machine for a couple of days a while back. After multiple failed attempts to do it online, I went to a shop and had a guy I know install it from his system. It went on that way, and in those first couple of days I was able to strip out a lot of the bells and whistles and space-wasting, and had it running pretty smoothly. I honestly can't remember what went wrong to make me go back to Win7. Maybe I should give it one last try. Or maybe I should just watch your video.... :bif:
—Nick

Nick Vittum
4StarLounger

Post by Nick Vittum »

@ Doc.AElstein

Thanks for the heads-up on this guy. For people like me who absorb information better in written form. here's his own site: Chris Titus: Chris Titus. He uses video a lot here, too, but the basics are all in concise written format as well.
—Nick

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

I personally rarely take much in, in the first ( or first 10 ) times of watching a YouTube Tutorial.
When I start looking at any subject these days, I download as many Videos as I can find on the subject, which usually seems to be an ever increasingly too many , I then convert them to Windows media player ( .WMV ) format, make a ridiculously long play list and fall to sleep watching them for a few months or let them run in the background while I an doing something else. Eventually I re-sort them into an order of how good they are, and then get a smaller more manageable list. Otherwise , if you search a subject you get a ridiculous amount of material from the internet, most of which is crap, in my opinion.
Nick Vittum wrote:..... My mental processing is such that I never watch something if there's the option to read it instead.
I also prefer written notes , which I make myself, ( I share my notes ….. My Windows 10 stuff starts from here http://www.excelfox.com/forum/showthrea ... #post12118" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .. They are a bit jumbled up at the moment. I wouldn’t necessarily recommend reading them. I try to avoid it myself.
But I sometimes present the narrowed down list of Tutorials. I am working on that Windows 10 list maybe in the next few weeks. ( But I have a feeling I might not finish that this Winter. ( In a few weeks my computer gets mostly turned off, … until next Winter ) ) )
I haven't spent much time at that Titus's own site. But based on some of his Tutorials and the very high following he has, i expect it could be worth your while taking sometime to investigate his site

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Doc.AElstein wrote:...Windows 10 appears to be a beast that is difficult to tame...
:hmmn: interesting. My Win 10 experience has been very straightforward:

* Win 10 box arrived.
* I made sure it couldn't connect to the Internet, i.e. didn't plug in an Ethernet cable and removed the wifi dongle that was stuck into a USB port.
* Powered it up.
* Stepped through the initial set up routine - having made sure to choose a local account, not a MS account.
* Since my version of of Win 10 is the Pro version, used the Group Policy Editor to delay Quality updates by a couple of weeks and Feature updates by a couple of months.
* Connected an Ethernet cable and used Edge to get a copy of FireFox.
* Set FF as my default browser.
* Downloaded a copy of O&O Shutp10, ran that using the recommended settings.
* Downloaded and installed Recuva, just in case I ever inadvertently delete something and need to get it back from oblivion.
* Thereafter it was a just case of installing my applications. Tedious but uneventful.

End result is a box that, although it looks different to previous versions (but Win 7 looks different to XP, which looks differer to...), runs pretty much like every other Windows box I've ever had.

Ken

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

As I recall from what I read / watched a few weeks ago, the people responsible for O&O Shutp are keeping up to date – it seems to be a fight between people like them and the people responsible for updating Windows 10 to try and contol the Beast to some extent..
That Titus bloke was one that gave up, or decided eventually it was not worth the effort.
As I said, I am not the best qualified here, I’m just passing on what I have picked up from my recent research:-

These Tutorials are taken from around the top of my lists.
They discuss the O&O Shutp and related things to tame the beast. The best order to watch would be, I think, from the bottom upwards.

Most Recent:- How to Make Windows 10 Secure... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGcerfVqYyU&t=136s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ACq_2q ... =drive_web" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Clean Up Windows 10 _ 3 Steps For A Faster... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWHiP9K8fQ0&t=15s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QRxHZw ... =drive_web" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Old:- Debloat Windows 10-q4ziE5Am0pM... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4ziE5Am0pM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-cQExc ... =drive_web" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

( I also delayed my updates soon after I got my computer from new , hoping to get clued up enough to handle them in the meantime. I have got no where near as far as I wanted. ( Busy with other things mostly )
I think in a few days they are all planned to hit me. I guess it will have to be the “Mains plug out of the socket on the wall” remedy early next week….. )
( From what I have read recently, Microsoft are getting skilful at finding ways to turn back on updates regardless of what you do , or just find ways to chuck them on you when they want. ( It doesn’t surprise me. A month or so ago an old XP machine of mine with all updates turned off / disabled was never the less attacked by a 100 or so updates which crippled it ) )
Last edited by Doc.AElstein on 06 Mar 2020, 09:22, edited 6 times in total.