Server not found

RonH
SilverLounger

Server not found

Post by RonH »

Until recently, I used to be able to view a webcam in Scotland but now when I select the web address I get the message:
This site can’t be reached http://www.lanark.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;’s server IP address could not be found.

I have tried from all our devices, being windows pc's and android using both Chrome and where appropriate Edge. The web page has been tested OK by the operator and others in the UK. What could the cause be? Cache's have been cleared and bookmarks checked etc. Could it be our router? Local ISP ... other such as Chrome and Edge blocking the type of transmission?
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Argus
GoldLounger

Re: Server not found

Post by Argus »

Seems to be hosted by Web Age (GB), webage.net, and the webcam page load links to Psychz Networks (USA) and Tilaa (NL).
Have you tried a trace route (tracert in command prompt) for the IP address?
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks Argus.
This tracert does not seem to be specific? I also have the same 'not found' when trying webage.net
Just to be sure I have rebooted my router etc but still with the same 'non-result'. I'm not sure what else I could do to fix this and am wondering if perhaps the latest Chrome or Edge browsers are blocking certain types of transmission ... Adobe Flash for example, should this be what they are using?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Yes, webage.net is not a web page, but the hosting company/registrar is located at http://www.webage.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.lanark.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
193.34.148.219 (cl6-003.webage.net).

So was thinking a tracert for one of the above; such as lanark.co.uk, or 193.34.148.219, or cl6-003.webage.net.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Seems that I cannot reach any of your suggestions which is totally confusing :scratch:
I did notice something similar a while back with https://www.bognorregisbeach.co.uk/live" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but I can access this page but not view the webcam.
So what to do? Should I try this? Will it cause any problems?
You can guess that I am somewhat out of my knowledge band ... maybe some setting I have made on Chrome? But Edge is the same which I rarely use.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

RonH wrote:I'm not sure what else I could do to fix this and am wondering if perhaps the latest Chrome or Edge browsers are blocking certain types of transmission ... Adobe Flash for example, should this be what they are using?
Sorry for the short reply; no, they seem to be using some HTML5 player, and the only script that is needed is for ipcamlive.com (I use NoScript).
Cam
http://www.lanark.co.uk/lanark-live-webcam" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(Company behind cam solution.)
https://www.ipcamlive.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What do you see if you run: tracert lanark.co.uk
First steps would be your router and ISP etc. (with IP addresses you perhaps wouldn't want to share), but it may stop at some point; here I reach the page.

I see no problem with flushing the DNS cache, but you could be using your router's using your ISP's DNS.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Have you tried

Code: Select all

tracert www.lanark.co.uk
You can certainly try clearing your DNS cache.
You can also use Domain Name Speed Benchmark (free) to check whether your DNS server(s) are functioning correctly.
Warning: the initial scan by DNSBench takes some 40 minutes; during this time you should ideally use internet as little as possible.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Even though I'm at work and thus behind an industrial strength firewall with all sorts of stuff in place to keep out the bad boys, I can reach:
http://www.lanark.co.uk/lanark-live-webcam without a problem.

This browser does have Flash on it but even if I disable Flash and then reload the page I can still see the view from the webcam.
:eyeout: Wow, that was exciting, a bus just pulled away from the bus stop.

Ken

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

I don't have Flash installed, and as I said it seems to be happy without it.
20200204.PNG
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML5_video" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

HansV wrote:Have you tried

Code: Select all

tracert www.lanark.co.uk
I get this: Unable to resolve target system name http://www.lanark.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

stuck wrote:Wow, that was exciting, a bus just pulled away from the bus stop.
Ken
At least you saw a bus! (I only look because relatives live there ... foolishly :grin: ) All I can see is:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

For a check of my Chrome/Edge I just installed Firefox and immediately trying the site got the same result.
( I had already tried the 'Windows' suggestion)
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You might try changing the DNS servers your system uses.
See Changing Your DNS Settings on Windows 10.

Use the following addresses in the Preferred DNS server and Alternate DNS server boxes:

1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 (Cloudflarenet DNS)

or

8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google DNS)
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

I did flush the DNS (no difference) but unnecessary because we have all devices (incl. 2 pc) not obtaining this address.
Regards DNS Server in use ... I think I will skip this stage, Hans because for sure I will 'stuff up'.

Since I only look at bad weather in Lanark, me thinks I ain't missing much. But I hate to be beaten by technology :evilgrin: Thanks all for assistance ... if you have any other ideas they will be most welcome.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Have you tried turning your router/modem off and on again?
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

HansV wrote:Have you tried turning your router/modem off and on again?
Yep, I rebooted it earlier today by taking the 240V power off of all devices including the router ... just like we get with a mains power failure when someone chops the cable!
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

RonH wrote:...I only look because relatives live there...
I have a vision of your relatives stood in the street in the view of the webcam waving and holding placards that say, "Hello Ron!" :laugh:

Ken

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

stuck wrote:
RonH wrote:...I only look because relatives live there...
I have a vision of your relatives stood in the street in the view of the webcam waving and holding placards that say, "Hello Ron!" :laugh:

Ken
Oh dear, I have another 'vision' ...
Stupidly I decided to continue to seek a solution to 'my relatives'
Following this to access the Hosts file which made no sense and I simply x out without modifying.
Now Start/Search does nothing ... just a blank whatever I type.
Any ideas ... :scratch:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

... and this is the HOST file referred to above ... how can one insert multiple attachments to a post?
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You can add up to three attachments to a post - simply activate 'Upload attachment' three times.

If the screenshot represents the entire Hosts file, it doesn't do anything: a line beginning with # is a comment. So this cannot be the cause of search failing.
Have you tried restarting Windows?
Best wishes,
Hans