Opening the Browse window in the Open dialogue in Word 2016

jmt356
SilverLounger

Opening the Browse window in the Open dialogue in Word 2016

Post by jmt356 »

In Word 2010, ctrl + o would open up an Open dialogue with the most recent location that I had browsed to. Word 2016 introduces an additional step. After pressing ctrl + o, I now have to select Browse or press alt + o + o. That is far too many shortcut keys. Is it possible to bypass Browse and go straight to the most recent location?

So much of the ease and functionality of Word 2010 was removed in Word 2016, making Word 2016 clunky and inefficient.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Opening the Browse window in the Open dialogue in Word 2

Post by HansV »

Select File > Options. By default, General will be selected in the navigation pane on the left.
Under 'Start up options' on the right hand side, clear the check box "Show the Start screen when this application starts".
Select Save in the navigation pane on the left.
Tick the check box "Don't show the Backstage when opening or saving documents with keyboard shortcuts".
Click OK.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I cleared "Show the Start screen when this application starts" and ticked "Don't show the Backstage ..."

Now when I press ctrl + o or, when in a new document, ctrl + s, I come directly to a dialogue that allows me to browse to a location on my computer.

However, when I am in an existing document and press ctrl + a (Save As), I still come to the Backstage screen. Is it possible bypass the Backstage and come directly to the browse dialogue to save as or is it necessary to press f12 for this function?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Ctrl+A is "Select All" on my PC. F12 is the only built-in keyboard shortcut for the Save As dialog...
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Sorry, I meant ctrl + f + a. Is it no longer possible to bypass the Backstage screen?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I think you meant Alt+F+A…

Pressing F12 should open the Browse dialog, bypassing the Backstage.
You can assign an additional keyboard shortcut if you wish, in File > Options > Customize Ribbon > Customize... (next to Keyboard shortcuts).
S2941.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

That worked. Many thanks; alt + f, a now works to get me to the Save as dialogue while bypassing the Backstage, as an alternative to f12.

Is it possible to change the alt, f, r shortcut to pull up Open Recent to alt + f, r? I cannot find Open Recent in the Customize Keyboard dialogue.
Regards,

JMT

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

jmt356 wrote:Is it possible to change the alt, f, r shortcut to pull up Open Recent to alt + f, r? I cannot find Open Recent in the Customize Keyboard dialogue.
Or, more generally, is it possible to change the alt, f shortcut to open up File to alt + f (i.e., so that it is activated when alt and f are pressed simultaneously rather than subsequently)? Alt, f does not work for me when I am typing quickly; Word does not register the alt and just types an f rather than open up the File menu.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I suspect that you press the F key slightly before the Alt key when you get an "f". Alt+F (i.e. Alt and F simultaneously) is the keyboard shortcut for the File tab.
Best wishes,
Hans

Charles Kenyon
4StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

jmt356 wrote:
jmt356 wrote:Is it possible to change the alt, f, r shortcut to pull up Open Recent to alt + f, r? I cannot find Open Recent in the Customize Keyboard dialogue.
Or, more generally, is it possible to change the alt, f shortcut to open up File to alt + f (i.e., so that it is activated when alt and f are pressed simultaneously rather than subsequently)? Alt, f does not work for me when I am typing quickly; Word does not register the alt and just types an f rather than open up the File menu.
If you still have Word 2010, you can create a QAT icon for Recent Files.
http://addbalance.com/word/download.htm ... ntFile2013
That command is not available in later versions for QAT modification, but one created in Word 2010 works.

I know of no command to display Recent Files. So, it would not be in the commands list.

Alt+f, r and Alt,f,r produce the same backstage view.
As do Alt+f,o and Alt,f,o.
They all give you the new recent files lists.

Over the years, I have come to like the backstage view. While I allow it for keyboard shortcuts, I have an intercept on the Save command that triggers the dialog anyway. So, Ctrl+O gives me the recent files while Ctrl+S gives me the legacy dialog. I use F12 if i want it for Save As.

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

I don't know if I'm properly understanding what jmt356 wants, but hoping that this might help. I have put the Word icon on the bottom left of the taskbar (What's that called? I know it isn't the system tray, but can't remember what that area is called.)
A right click on the Word icon shows recent files. I find it very useful and use it a lot. It works when other Word files are open, too
HTH
Silverback

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

HansV wrote:I suspect that you press the F key slightly before the Alt key when you get an "f". Alt+F (i.e. Alt and F simultaneously) is the keyboard shortcut for the File tab.
I am using Word 2016 on Windows 10.

I am pressing alt first. Pressing alt + f together does nothing for me. If I press alt and, before I release it, I press f, nothing happens. The only way to get the File menu to open is for me to press alt and then, after I have completely released it, press f.

Because I type very quickly, I normally type f before I have completely released alt, so the command does not register. This is why I am looking for a shortcut that enables me to press alt + f simultaneously rather than than subsequently to call up the file menu, and from there, r to call up Recents.
Regards,

JMT

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Does anyone else have a similar experience where pressing alt + f does not open the File menu and opening it requires first releasing alt before pressing f?
Regards,

JMT

Charles Kenyon
4StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

jmt356 wrote:
HansV wrote:I suspect that you press the F key slightly before the Alt key when you get an "f". Alt+F (i.e. Alt and F simultaneously) is the keyboard shortcut for the File tab.
I am using Word 2016 on Windows 10.

I am pressing alt first. Pressing alt + f together does nothing for me. If I press alt and, before I release it, I press f, nothing happens. The only way to get the File menu to open is for me to press alt and then, after I have completely released it, press f.

Because I type very quickly, I normally type f before I have completely released alt, so the command does not register. This is why I am looking for a shortcut that enables me to press alt + f simultaneously rather than than subsequently to call up the file menu, and from there, r to call up Recents.
What happens if you press Ctrl+O for Open? Unless you have set your options to not show the Backstage, you should see the backstage on Recent files. If you press the Alt key at that time, you get the tooltips.

Both Alt,F and Alt+F should open the Backstage with the tooltips displayed.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

If I press ctrl + o, I come to the Open dialogue. I set Word to bypass the Backstage.

By the way, both alt + f and alt, f serve to open the File menu on my work computer version of Word 2016, but on my home computer version of Word 2016, alt + f does nothing. I have to press alt, release alt, and then press f to pull up the file menu.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

In Windows, select Start > Settings.
Select 'Ease of Access', then select Keyboard (under Interaction).
Has 'Sticky Keys' been turned on?
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Sticky Keys is turned off.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm afraid I don't have an explanation for the behavior that you describe.
Best wishes,
Hans

Charles Kenyon
4StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

jmt356 wrote:If I press ctrl + o, I come to the Open dialogue. I set Word to bypass the Backstage.

Won't help with the alt+f problem, but try not bypassing backstage for ctrl+o. You can use F12 to go directly to the dialog for save on a new file.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Re: Opening the Browse window in the Open dialogue in Word 2016

Post by jmt356 »

“alt, f, a” takes me to the Save As backstage. How can I bypass the backstage and go directly to where my file is currently saved instead? As per my 1 Dec. 2019 post, I got this work, but now “alt, f, a” takes me to the Save As backstage.
Regards,

JMT