Dissolve (4) 1 teaspoon baking soda in
(5) ½ cup hot water
(6) Add this into mixture of sugar/molasses
Add in (7) 3 cups flour
(8) ½ cup melted butter
(9) ½ teaspoon salt
(10) ½ pound of raisins
Boil in a pudding bag for 2 to 2½ hours

I didn’t have a pudding bag, so I baked this in two small loaf baking tins for 2½ hours on the bottom shelf at 200F by the oven dial.
I ate half of one “cake”, gave the other half to Peggy, and kept the second cake to portion out amongst the various ladies in the stores along Church Street, to keep them sweet.
I am now down to my last seven cartons of molasses. I shall soon have to buy more or else move back to Toronto and regular cooking. :grin:

(four days later)
Bonavista_IMG_20190907_115218094.JPG
Still having no pudding bag, I used my jam dixie, an inch of water in the bottom, a dessert bowl in the water, more water in the bowl, then a 1lb margarine tub with the dough, in the dessert bowl,

This pudding was less cake-like and more pudding-liked, but not cooked all the way through. I figure the 2 to 2 ½ hours refers to a cloth bag, and the plastic tub serves as a mild barrier to the transfer of heat.

Cheers
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Peggy’s sister Donna’s “Molasses Raisin Pudding”

Post by Rudi »

Sweet (in more ways than one!) :grin:
TX for the recipe.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rudi wrote:Sweet (in more ways than one!) :grin: TX for the recipe.
You are welcome.
Tonight I will have my third essay, this time using a handkerchief (I am still too cheap to BUY a real pudding bag).
I figure that if nothing else, using a handkerchief as a pudding bag will help me cut down on laundry. :barf:
Cheers
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Bonavista_IMG_20191013_114053323.JPG
Then I had a brilliant idea:-
I keep all my empty 375ml tomato paste tins and use them for tree seedlings. Why not use them as baking tins?
Above is my first batch of me-sized puddings.
Bonavista_IMG_20191015_083131531.JPG
And above is a close up of a tin.

Two heaped tablespoons of mixture per tin seems about right; the cooked pudding is half-a-tin high, so say 200ml.
The tins are steam-cooked - an inch of water in my jam dixie and brought to the boil for 45-50 minutes does the trick.

I can scoop it out with a teaspoon while reading a Garrison Keillor novel, or use a bread knife to turn each pudding out of its tin to serve as a cake (late at night reading a Garrison Keillor novel in bed).

Naturally, if I ever get tired of washing out the tins, they will be headed to the tree-seedling area.

Cheers
Chris,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

It looks rustically delicious. :yum:

I'd turn the pudding out of the tin, poke it a few times with a fork and then pour out a thin custard over them and top it off with a glazed cherry and some cinnamon.

Argh! Tonight I'll be dreaming of eating it!
Regards,
Rudi

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rudi wrote:It looks rustically delicious. :yum:
Bonavista_IMG_20191017_144754432.JPG
Oh. Rustic? You want Rust-stick? Why didnaya say Rustic? I thort you meant Rusty
Here you are, molasses raisin pudding in rustic colouring and rustic containers. There’s nothing quite like molasses raisin pudding for loosening hardened food stuffs.

At the left two spice jars (I’m working up a line about pudding-in-spice instead of the customary spice-in-pudding). A relish jar, a preserving jar, a weird sized tumbler and a weird-sized cup. The cup is about eight times the capacity of an espresso and far too small to hold more than two mouthfuls of tea. Finally a “Happy Birthday” cup that is closer to my choice of size for an espresso.

And yes, the pudding is a rusty sort of shade ...

And yes, those spice jars are a handy pocket-size when you go for a walk in the woods ...

Cheers
Chris

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Sheesh. I don't think your ice cream diet will help any if you are going to consume all those Peggy’s sister Donna’s “Molasses Raisin Pudding”.
You may want to slow down a tad on the sugar, or increase your exercise to include a swim around the iceberg offshore.

BTW: I don't see any custard and cinnamon ANYWHERE. :sad:
Regards,
Rudi

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rudi wrote:Sheesh. I don't think your ice cream diet will help any if you are going to consume all those Peggy’s sister Donna’s “Molasses Raisin Pudding”.
Right, but making PSDMRP saves me money over ice-cream and that means I can pay off my mortgage faster!
BTW: I don't see any custard and cinnamon ANYWHERE. :sad:
Correct. The custard powder is in a cardboard cylindrical can on the top shelf. These cardboard cannisters are useless for storage or baking, so there is no incentive for me to use up the custard.

This will prompt the question "So why did you buy custard powder in the first place?", which prompts two answers:
(1) Probably purchased by my second wife, years ago.
(2) Possibly purchased by my first wife, many more years ago, :groan:

Cheers
Chris

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

OK. Custard obviously does not excite you; so I'll take a shot at one more suggestion.

How about taking a walk to your local doctors office (or chemist) and purchasing a syringe.
On your way home from the doctor (or chemist), stop by the convenience store and buy some smooth apricot jam (unless you already have a generous stock of home made jam already in the cupboard next tot he custard.)
Then stick the syringe into the "smooth" jam and pull back hard on the plunger
With a generous dose of jam in the tube, stab the pudding so that the syringe nozzle reaches the center of the pudding
Now, hold it carefully in place and press down hard on the plunger to inject all of the contents of the tube into the pudding
Extract the syringe
Sprinkle with a bit of cinnamon
Take a glazed cherry and stick it into the hole left by the syringe

That's it!

Now you have an "Apricot Infused Cinnamon Sprinkled Cherry Plugged Peggy’s Sister Donna’s Molasses Raisin Pudding”. :yum:
Regards,
Rudi

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rudi wrote:OK. Custard obviously does not excite you; so I'll take a shot at one more suggestion.
I have nothing against custard' it's just that I haven't come up with a need for a lidded empty cardboard cannister yet, so can see no reason for emptying the same!
How about taking a walk to your local doctors office (or chemist) and purchasing a syringe.
Bonavista_IMG_20191022_092135613_HDR.JPG
I have purchased two of these, the one above by mistake. The other is in use, regular “glues anything” Epoxy. These syringes (no need to make an appointment to answer awkward questions about data in the WeightLoss workbook!) can be purchased for about $cdn10 down at Swyers. Swyers-the-hardware, not Swyers-the-supermarket.
Rinsed out and left to soak in the heavily-chlorinated town water for a week, I could load one tube with runny apricot jam and the other with stuff from the jars on the lower shelf labelled “multi-fruit”, of a reddish colour and only $2.99( Comes in a handy home-made-orange-marmalade sized glass jar; way better than a cardboard cannister. )

Cheers
Chris

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

That would work just as well.

When can I come over to sample the jam infused puddings?
Regards,
Rudi

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rudi wrote:That would work just as well. When can I come over to sample the jam infused puddings?
Well, Rudi, I'm busy today bottling Grapefruit marmalade; Thursday is peaches all day long.
I can fit you in over the weekend, then Monday is Trial Balance day, because Tuesday is Pension day, and then I'm usually busy flinging money left, right and centre.

Just aim at the two water towers and holler "CHRIS!!!".
Then head away from the sound of the gun shots.

Cheers
Chris

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

ChrisGreaves wrote:Just aim at the two water towers and holler "CHRIS!!!".
Then head away from the sound of the gun shots.
:laugh: :rofl:
TX for that important advice.

PS: I might just come Tuesday to catch and pocket some of that cash your flinging around. :evilgrin:
Regards,
Rudi

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rudi wrote:PS: I might just come Tuesday to catch and pocket some of that cash your flinging around. :evilgrin:
Take a number; but be quick; there's only $5,000 of it.
Cheers
Chris

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

$1 ( and a tin of jam infused pudding, with custard!!!! ) :thumbup:
Regards,
Rudi